• 3 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Mel
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Vehicle AC Help Needed

Vehicle AC Help Needed

Calling all auto mechanics.

My AC compressor started screaming and the AC light on the button started flashing on my 2008 Toyota Tacoma. I知 sure the compressor is bad. I watched a couple YouTube videos and changing out the compressor is fairly easy but my only concern is catastrophic failure where metal gets inside the lines. Is this something I should worry about when changing out the compressor?
    If I知 ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Mel
    Call me. I can tell you all about it.
    Mel
    805-441-0691
    TopPredator and Fred like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Call me. I can tell you all about it.
    Mel
    805-441-0691
    Cool thanks. I’ll be home in about an hour
    If I知 ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Oh my goodness now I know why you guys love Mel so much. We must have talked for an hour and I feel like he’s been a friend of mine for years. Mel thank you for all your help and for opening up your home to me for a visit.

Get well soon, I will be praying for you to have a speedy recovery.

God Bless
    Rick
    littletommy and kj7687 like this.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

What ever Mel told you you can take to the bank! Chances are your compressor had a leak and the fluid went away. The fluid is both the refrigerant and the lubricating oil in one. No oil and you burn up the bearings PDQ. My local auto shop pal has a dye he puts in the lines and then uses a black light to find the leaks. I get a laugh out of all these after market recharge kits we can buy to get the AC blowing cold again. One must ask self, If it needs a recharge then where did the original fluid go? If you don't find the leak you are just tossing good money after bad.

AC systems once open to the OS air need to be vacuumed out and then recharged or again you are wasting money.

GaryL
    Mel, Fred and Peterb like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Good points Gary.
    Remaining old refrigerant needs evacuation and environmentally friendly disposal by liscenced tech in most jurisdictions. Proper amount and type of PAG lubricant needs injection along with proper amount ant type of refrigerant. Typically all done by weight with a small scale. All can be done by shade tree mechanic but there are a lot of details like seals, evaporators and driers typically to replace when just the compressor seems bad. Tools, gauges, vacuum pumps, scale all can be had for under $150. First confirm correct electrical functions. Bad switchology or malfunctioning relays can cause false over and under charge pressure readings on the low pressure side. Proper gauges for both high and low really help diagnosis.
    Pays to do a trustworthy diagnosis before accepting a mechanics typical blanket statement that it all needs replacement. Air conditioning shops are happy to sell $1,500 jobs when issue may just be a 20 minute $40 relay. They can't stay in business with $40 repairs. If you sound intelligent and knowledgable about you car's condition there is less chance of being taken to the cleaners.
    Should one wish just to top off refrigerant to limp along before a thorough analysis and repair occur at least get the recharge kit with both UV dye and PAG oil to keep filing parts alive.
    Mel likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. 溺r.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I値d Rather Be Motorcycling

My son is a heating and air tech so I’ve got all that covered. Mike took up the trade in high school and now makes an excellent living at it.

You probably remember a couple months ago when they replaced the frame on my Tacoma. I’m just wondering if the didn’t properly service it before they hooked everything back up.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    My son is a heating and air tech so I’ve got all that covered. Mike took up the trade in high school and now makes an excellent living at it.

You probably remember a couple months ago when they replaced the frame on my Tacoma. I’m just wondering if the didn’t properly service it before they hooked everything back up.
    I would bet that one of the fittings in the lines is leaking. Only once did I have to replace the evaporator radiator that developed a leak from a bird hit. All of my other AC issues came from leaks at the fitting and usually always on the high pressure side. Time to get your son on the case and if he can point the problem at the dealer with any degree of certainty they might fix it.

GaryL
    TopPredator likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Mel
    Long on going leaks in refrigeration systems will almost always show signs of oil residue at the point of leakage. A very high number of automotive AC leaks are the compressor shaft seal. Difficult to diagnose and difficult to repair.. I recommend compressor replacement.
    Mel
    TopPredator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Long on going leaks in refrigeration systems will almost always show signs of oil residue at the point of leakage. A very high number of automotive AC leaks are the compressor shaft seal. Difficult to diagnose and difficult to repair.. I recommend compressor replacement.
    Mel
    Totally agree Mel but these systems need to be brought back up by a competent shop with the right tools and equipment to vacuum it out and recharge the oil and refrigerant plus check for new leaks.

GaryL
    TopPredator likes this.

Sponosred Links