Displacing H2O in a crankcase???
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Flathats
  • 1 Post By Flathats
  • 2 Post By GaryL

Thread: Displacing H2O in a crankcase???

Displacing H2O in a crankcase???

Irrigation wheelline driver...Briggs 8hp...covered but constantly water around it by sprinkler... Have flushed with diesel and added Seafoam to previous oil changes, but keep ending up with grey oil....Any Ideas???

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Could water be coming from trapped humidity under cover entering engine via crankcase breather as engine cools down after use? i.e. fresh condensation might be getting into the crankcase after each use?
    Otherwise I would say keep flushing oil. Would assume like most engines once the oil gets hot byproduct water from combustion gets evaporated out before it severely contaminates the oil. The wheeline driver probably operates for extended periods of time so this is a head-scratching conundrum.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Could water be coming from trapped humidity under cover entering engine via crankcase breather as engine cools down after use? i.e. fresh condensation might be getting into the crankcase after each use?
    Otherwise I would say keep flushing oil. Would assume like most engines once the oil gets hot byproduct water from combustion gets evaporated out before it severely contaminates the oil. The wheeline driver probably operates for extended periods of time so this is a head-scratching conundrum.
    Hey Fred...it only operates for about 1 min every 24 hrs...I'll run out and take a pic...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not the best pics...was getting my monthly shower...

Mel likes this.

Perhaps 1 minute run time is inadequate to heat up oil sufficiently to drive out moisture. The wheeline driver has been in use widely for some time so your contaminated oil issue should not be unique. What do the locals or others with similar equipment have to say?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Perhaps 1 minute run time is inadequate to heat up oil sufficiently to drive out moisture. The wheeline driver has been in use widely for some time so your contaminated oil issue should not be unique. What do the locals or others with similar equipment have to say?
    Been around a bunch of them over the years... change oil three times a season...never had one get as much water in it as this one is showing...and it just started doing it about mid summer...my thoughts are that I didn't get all the moisture out the first time I noticed it...

Mel likes this.

I think Fred is on to the issue. I know nothing about this system but it is basically just a B&S small engine. IS there any way to disconnect the drive gear and run the engine in neutral for an extended period?

At one time in my working career I lived just a half mile from work and drove my car for about 2 minutes each way every day. I had the same issue with both the engine oil always looking like chocolate milk plus my exhaust system kept rusting out. The engine almost never warmed up to operating temp before I shut it off. Condensation was the culprit and the only fix was each day after work to take the car for a good drive so it could get hot and burn off the water in the crank case and the muffler.

GaryL
    Purple and Flathats like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links