• 17 Post By plumbstraight
  • 1 Post By Chip
  • 2 Post By Maxpower
  • 1 Post By NVcowboy
  • 1 Post By plumbstraight
  • 3 Post By plumbstraight

Thread: New project

New project

My jeep needs a bit of a tune up. As per Mel's help of sharing his knowledge with them, I need to add a leaf or two to the front springs as that 350 chev I slipped it is a bit heavier than the stock engine. Had the battery tip out of it's mounting spilling some acid on the inner fender. Going to pull the front tin off and do a repaint and some cleaning. Also change out the master cylinder. It bleeds off so I know the rubbers need replacing and I expect the bore in it is most likely pitted. Don't plan on making it rock crawler, just a good ride on a sunny day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by plumbstraight; 10-04-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Check the frame and treat accordingly. My not have rust problems where you at but around here it's not good. Plenty of Jeeps available with rusted out frames. That are actually breaking in half and are unsafe to drive. Usually around the front mounting bolt for the rear spring. Take a hammer and check the inside of the frame as dirt/salt sits in that area holds in moisture causing the frame to fail. It's Jeep thing.
    plumbstraight likes this.
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Check the frame and treat accordingly. My not have rust problems where you at but around here it's not good. Plenty of Jeeps available with rusted out frames. That are actually breaking in half and are unsafe to drive. Usually around the front mounting bolt for the rear spring. Take a hammer and check the inside of the frame as dirt/salt sits in that area holds in moisture causing the frame to fail. It's Jeep thing.
    Was very lucky with the frame, was in great shape. thank you for pointing that out. I did notice though that although I gave it a good painting with rust bullit that the brake master leaked and made the pain curl up. Will take care of that, is part of the reason for doing a firewall forward on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like real Jeeps like yours Plumbstrait. No fluff,all guts
    plumbstraight and Peterb like this.
    87 TW

My old man used to have an old WWII Jeep, I don't remember if it was Willys or not. All I remember is it had a snorkel and he would drive it upstream in the Palouse river. Water above waist deep. Good times. He sold it right before we moved to NV in '88.
    plumbstraight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NVcowboy View Post
    My old man used to have an old WWII Jeep, I don't remember if it was Willys or not. All I remember is it had a snorkel and he would drive it upstream in the Palouse river. Water above waist deep. Good times. He sold it right before we moved to NV in '88.
    I grew up with a 42 ford military, guess that is why I have this one. Willys designed the jeep, but could not keep up with supply and Ford took over building. We also had a 21/2 ton military, built by Steudebaker. 1911 45's were made by several different companies, I have one made by Remington in 41. I had a chainsaw made by Remington in Viet Nam, was junk to say the least. I guess when the government needs it whoever can slide the bucks get the contracts.
    Mel likes this.

Jeep is back together. Picked up some paint and rattle canned the inner fenders and around the battery area where it spilled after giving it a good wash. Paint matched real well and looks so much better. I had ordered a set of coil over shocks and they came in. They picked up the front end about 4inchs, I was surprised about that. Rather than having to loosen the spring shackles and letting the lower shock attachment I put it on that first and used a ratchet strap to compress it. Worked great, being able to take it up a little at a time till it slid right on the upper attachment.
    Purple, Badgerflorida and Xracer like this.

Sponosred Links