Who has had their CDL
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Who has had their CDL

Who has had their CDL

I have passed my written test for my CDL. Here in Texas we have to do a pretrip inspection which is very hard to get past. They are looking at your terminology and ability to inspect and name nearly every component of the truck. I failed my first attempt I believe because of some of my terminology. Does anyone have any helpful hints to get past this? I passed the in-cab inspection and air brake test. I have to redo it again when I take the pretrip inspection. If they were this thorough to get a regular driving license only about 50% would have a driver license.
    I think they are putting this above and beyond driving abilities. It is good to know how to inspect and make sure everything is safe but explaining it perfectly is ridiculous. I am definitely having more respect for big trucks and their drivers. I ride my motorcycle for my safety. I drive my automobile for everyone's safety. When you are driving a big truck you drive more for the safety of others. It is surprising about the idiots that will pull in front of you slam their brakes on and not realize they were nearly killed. I am working for the school district and mainly will only be hauling trailers with tractors, driving dump trucks and other short hauls. Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Mel
    Ken, if you were in Calif. I could explain exactly how to pass that test. I have probably helped licence 50 people here. Call me maybe I can help.
    805-441-0691
    Mel
    Dryden-Tdub, Fred, Ken and 1 others like this.

I’ve held a CDL for more years than I care to admit and, unfortunately teach bus class to the young Navy folks here at the base. The secret to passing the pretrip inspection is to use the terminology that is in the CDL handbook. If it moves, or has a cotter key mention each and every one of them. If it lights up or moves mention it. If nothing else mention most everything you see and eventually the examiners eyes will roll back in their head and they will nod knowingly and you will pass the pretrip portion of the exam.

Good luck. When I was studying for my CDL I found the pretrip to be the most boring, sleep inducing part of the test. Just remember you only really need to know one side of the vehicle and then you are just repeating what you just did for the other.
    Mel, RkyMtnTW, Ken and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I almost got my CDL in Idaho a few years ago. There was a guy here I could have taken a pre-test from for like $125 that would have gone through everything you need to know to pass. Perhaps you can find someone local who offers the same?
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

I've had a CDL from when they made the law, but I was grandfathered in or whatever you call it. But your required to do a pre and post trip inspection.
    It's not too hard, I imagine there are websites that you can take practice tests, and to help you study, just like when you study for a ham radio license.
    Ken, grewen and jtomelliott49 like this.

Thanks for the advice. I have been watching lots of youtube also to help me out. I have a retake on Friday.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Best wishes Ken, you should do well if can just relax and recall the handbook's terminology. One of those cases where memorization is probably better than over-thinking the problem?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Now, this is strange. I replied to this thread, but it's not here anymore.
    Maybe someone didn't like it and deleted it.
    If so I don't know why, I'm sure I didn't post anything that could have offended anyone.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Post 5 is yours. No one has deleted anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad luck View Post
    Now, this is strange. I replied to this thread, but it's not here anymore.
    Maybe someone didn't like it and deleted it.
    If so I don't know why, I'm sure I didn't post anything that could have offended anyone.
    Purple, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Last year I let my cdl go, didn't figure I would need it anymore. Then was asked to drive again. Went down to get it back here in Washington. I carry an Alaska license. They said I had to go to school to get it back to the tune of 4000 dollars. I called BS on that. When I got back to Ak I asked if they would reinstate my cdl. Sure if it hasn't been over a year since you let it go. I was only two weeks from losing it lol. Just went and got my medical and got it back. Will not let it go again.
    Mel, grewen, Fred and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links