Craigslist Troubles
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Craigslist Troubles

Craigslist Troubles

I'm probably talking out of school here but the other night meeting up with Boarder255 he shared a tale of woe and concern over recent sale of his very good condition XT255:

His advertisement seemingly resulted in a successful sale to a first-time lady buyer...her boyfriend knows all about dirt bikes, bike would have a good home, everyone seemed happy.
    A few weeks go by and Boarder gets an angry call from lady saying bike's engine had "exploded" and Boarder must somehow be to blame. Hot oil had shot all over her leg burning her. She then tore down engine looking for fault after her burns healed but before any superficial diagnosis like starting bike and listening or looking for evidence of the "explosion" was done.
    Now Boarder's integrity, honesty and compassionate nature caused him untold grief and lost sleep wondering if he somehow unknowingly wronged this lady.
    Turns out the oil filler cap had simply come off on her second ride and her clutch basket had tossed some oil out the opening. This was after lady though bike might be a little low on oil so she added "about a quart of motor oil " she found in the garage.
    Needless to say Boarder's mental state changed from true concern to exasperation over the buyer's lack of experience.

Moral? We all know about Buyer Beware but perhaps at times we should consider Seller Beware too. There are idiots out there that can cause lots of unnecessary trouble when we are selling stuff in good faith.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

"Sold as seen" - every time - no accounting for "stupid" .......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Couple of years ago I sold a very nice Honda lawn mower. A week later my wife gets a very angry phone call from the buyer saying we sold him a piece of junk and he wanted his money back . I called and questioned him. Turns out he filled it with diesel fuel! Needless to say he did not get his money back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

In my experiences most states regard private party vehicle sales as strictly as-is buyer beware from a legal / court standpoint

All vehicles sold with a full waiver guaranty meaning if you can see me waiving it's guranteed
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Mel
    For many years, if people asked about guarantee or warranty, I would tell them it came with the Marriage Guarantee. "When it hits the crack in the sidewalk,it is for better or for worse!"
    Mel

We have a little form that gets signed, dated, phone number and address by the new buyers of anything we sell. Saying sold as is no warranty implied. Haven't had a problem since we started doing that.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    We have a little form that gets signed, dated, phone number and address by the new buyers of anything we sell. Saying sold as is no warranty implied. Haven't had a problem since we started doing that.
    Always a good idea. Get a written receipt saying just that. Sold as is......
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

There is not enough room here to tell all my stories of problems with both CL and Ebay. I recently sold my grandma's old 2 part coffee percolator pots, the kind that has a bottom pot and a top pot and the water gets sucked up from the bottom when it boils and then goes back down after soaking in the grinds. It was very old and very nice and sold for $20 plus shipping on Ebay. Guy paid with PP and as soon as he received it gave me positive feed back. A week goes by and I get a notice from Ebay and PP that he did a charge back through his credit card company saying the item was not as described. PP swiped the money from my account immediately. I tried to argue the charge back showing it arrived in good shape and he gave me A+++ feed back. He fought back claiming there was a crack he had not noticed and showed pictures showing that he had clearly broken the bottom pot. I just gave up and it was not worth wasting my time to fight with him, PP and Ebay. I had 2 more of grandma's coffee pots on Ebay in the same condition and this same creep was bidding on them. I cancelled his bids and the auctions and tossed the pots in the trash.

GaryL
    Miaugi and dette like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Those percolators boiled horrible coffee anyways, from a time before we discovered what coffee should taste like.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Those percolators boiled horrible coffee anyways, from a time before we discovered what coffee should taste like.
    I would not even know how coffee tastes from them Fred. My aunt passed and I ended up with a box full of these 2 pot percolators from grandma all in very nice shape and all quite old. We do K cups here and have for a long time. The point was there are so many dishonest people lurking on Ebay PP and CL that it is almost always better to deal in person with cold cash. I know a guy, won't call him a friend, but he needs a particular tool to do a job and buys the tool from a big box store. Uses it a few times on the job and then returns it for a refund saying it was not working right. You would think that Home Depot and Lowe's would be onto his scam.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links