Sharing the deer after the hunt
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Sharing the deer after the hunt

Sharing the deer after the hunt

I need an opinion..Our hunting group is made up of about 6 or 7 guys.There are two of us that are up there all week (about 8 or 9 days) and sometimes one other but the rest of the group show up a day or two later and only hunt 3 to 4 days or less.We are a water access camp so getting in and out is a chore loading and unloading all our stuff.My buddy Ian and I and another friend we moose hunt with set up several ladder stands and cameras trim shooting lanes bring in firewood ETC you get the picture, the other guys show up and arrive to a warm cottage with nothing to do but enjoy the hunt and then leave before the end of the hunt so we are left taking down the stands they hunted out of and cleaning up and closing the camp which takes a good 5 hrs. of hard work.After a few discussions between the all week hunters we decided that it was unfair to us to share the deer meat equally with the 3 day people when we did almost all the work.We will still share but not a full share.Now the problem the other guys heard this and that we were a little upset about the amount of work we put into it compared to them with them getting an equal share of the meat(neither of them has ever shot anything) and they are really upset.Are we being unreasonable? we have all been friends for a very long time but they have always showed up late and left early managing to avoid most of the work and expenses.
    Fred, Dryden-Tdub, jtstdub and 1 others like this.

You are totally justified in having an issue with sharing your hard earned meat with those who don’t put in the time, labor or expense that you do. I’ve hunted my entire life and had this issue almost as long. This year I was in Montana for four weeks archery elk hunting by myself before my good friend showed up and hunted for 5 days. It’s a 12 hour drive from where we live and it was all the time he could get off work. I was trying for a large bull but after 34 days hunting I decided to shoot a smaller animal for meat. He had been complaining about not having any meat for a long time so I decided to share my elk with him. I was the one who shot it, cleaned it, skinned it, hauled it out and home and butchered it. He got half.
    Some differences here with your situation. I was just sharing the meat with one person, not several. Another consideration is it was an elk. If you’re hunting with a group and you share your deer you might not have much left when you’re done. With my group of friends the usual practice is to keep your own meat. Those who are successful are usually the ones who put in the most time and work, and to reward those who don’t or won’t isn’t fair. This year I already had a two freezers full and I felt sorry for him.
    The best thing is to discuss the plans for meat sharing or not well before the hunt starts. This way everyone knows the rules of the game and hopefully hurt feelings will have healed before the hunt begins. It will also inspire those who don’t put in the time to participate a little more. Remember, if you shot it, it’s your animal. If you decide to share some of it with the guy who helped you pack it out, and nobody else, it’s your choice.
    1972 Yamaha DT 175, 1974 Kawasaki 125, 1976 Suzuki TM 250, 1979 Yamaha 750, 1977 Husquvarna 360, 1979 Husquvarna 250, (2) 1980 Suzuki RM 400’s, 1971 Husquvarna 400, 1983 Honda V65 Magna, 1987 Suzuki 230 Quad, 1987 TW200, 1990 TW200, 1996 Honda XR 650, 1998 Yamaha 300 King Quad, 2000 Harley Davidson Heritage, 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250s, 2007 Arctic Cat 650 Quad, 2010 Polaris Sportsman 850 Quad, 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Quad, 2002 TW200, 1995 TW200, 2008 TW200, 2016 TW200.

Well said Gastone. Unfortunately there will always be givers and takers and the latter get pretty good at finding the former. Challenge is how to keep the meat while preserving the friendships
    troll likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Can I hunt with you , I will only be 2 days late.

Them being upset is some good information to have.........

ronnydog
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

Some hunters are lucky. Some have to hunt hard and spend the time and effort to be successful. That’s me. With hunting, the more success you achieve the easier it gets because you learn what works and what doesn’t. You also get better at avoiding the mistakes that contribute to failure. You capitalize on the luck that comes your way. The bottom line though is you can’t always depend on luck and you have to be willing to put in the effort. Or find some friends who are very generous. I choose to rely on myself. Most of my friends would find difficulty finding the meat dept at Safeway.
    1972 Yamaha DT 175, 1974 Kawasaki 125, 1976 Suzuki TM 250, 1979 Yamaha 750, 1977 Husquvarna 360, 1979 Husquvarna 250, (2) 1980 Suzuki RM 400’s, 1971 Husquvarna 400, 1983 Honda V65 Magna, 1987 Suzuki 230 Quad, 1987 TW200, 1990 TW200, 1996 Honda XR 650, 1998 Yamaha 300 King Quad, 2000 Harley Davidson Heritage, 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250s, 2007 Arctic Cat 650 Quad, 2010 Polaris Sportsman 850 Quad, 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Quad, 2002 TW200, 1995 TW200, 2008 TW200, 2016 TW200.

Thanks for the replies.I was beating myself up a bit over this.The one guy was pissed that we had sausage made too and said it was a waste of his time and money so he will not be hunting with us anymore.I shot both deer!
    Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtrillium View Post
    Thanks for the replies.I was beating myself up a bit over this.The one guy was pissed that we had sausage made too and said it was a waste of his time and money so he will not be hunting with us anymore.I shot both deer!
    I will gladly take his place! When does the season open next year?

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Dryden-Tdub, jtstdub and goldenhtr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtrillium View Post
    Maybe he should just cruise the roads looking for roadkill instead of wasting his time and money waiting for you to give him a catered camp and free meat.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    ssgtrillium and goldenhtr like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Gastone165 View Post
    Some hunters are lucky. Some have to hunt hard and spend the time and effort to be successful. That’s me. With hunting, the more success you achieve the easier it gets because you learn what works and what doesn’t. You also get better at avoiding the mistakes that contribute to failure. You capitalize on the luck that comes your way. The bottom line though is you can’t always depend on luck and you have to be willing to put in the effort. Or find some friends who are very generous. I choose to rely on myself. Most of my friends would find difficulty finding the meat dept at Safeway.
    Hay I get what your saying, I have been bow hunting since 1974 and understand the work that it takes.
    I have a friend that wants me to make him pound of jerky out of a elk I bagged. He has no idea what it takes to do what you and I do.

i think many people believe that meat comes from a cooler in the store.

ronnydog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links