Framing my shop...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Framing my shop...

Framing my shop...

Who is the framing guru out there??? Got a few questions and need some tips..

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
    admiral likes this.

Not a framer but one of my tips would be to use a hammer. I'm modernizing now so an air hammer is fine as well.

...unless your using steel framing. If that's the case I'm not sure about the hammer thing.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Not a framer but one of my tips would be to use a hammer. I'm modernizing now so an air hammer is fine as well.

...unless your using steel framing. If that's the case I'm not sure about the hammer thing.
    I might need to run over and trade you out of one of your specialized, experienced hammers, Us Buckaroo types haven't evolved from rocks and sticks yet..

admiral and Mel like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The American Wood Council offers a nice Wood Framing Manual that addresses most situations.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The American Wood Council offers a nice Wood Framing Manual that addresses most situations.
    I'll look at it Fred...Hope you are doing well!!!

i have built a few things
    Flathats likes this.

I am not a framer but did a bunch of finish trim and cabinetmaking around new construction. Maybe ask the questions and see what we can do to answer them. Just so you know I always had a running feud with the framers. Between them not getting walls and corners plum and square I had to come in and "Finish" to get things as close to plum and square as possible. The last job I did was installing crown molding in a new construction high end home and it turned into a complete disaster for me. Holding a straight edge along a wall or ceiling after the sheet rockers got done and it looked like a bunch of drunks did the framing and used some real junk stud in the process. Alex Plus was my only friend and I had to buy it by the case.

GaryL
    Flathats, Tweaker and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I am not a framer but did a bunch of finish trim and cabinetmaking around new construction. Maybe ask the questions and see what we can do to answer them. Just so you know I always had a running feud with the framers. Between them not getting walls and corners plum and square I had to come in and "Finish" to get things as close to plum and square as possible. The last job I did was installing crown molding in a new construction high end home and it turned into a complete disaster for me. Holding a straight edge along a wall or ceiling after the sheet rockers got done and it looked like a bunch of drunks did the framing and used some real junk stud in the process. Alex Plus was my only friend and I had to buy it by the case.

GaryL
    Will grab some pics...Want to put up a wall in the center of a 30X70 cinder block shop...10 ft to rafters joists... Want to frame off concrete floor section to make it easier to heat...will OSB sheet wall, and sheetrock lid to hold insulation...want a center door in wall to enable me to drag a tractor in if I have to work on a dead one...

Fred and Lyterx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flathats View Post
    Will grab some pics...Want to put up a wall in the center of a 30X70 cinder block shop...10 ft to rafters joists... Want to frame off concrete floor section to make it easier to heat...will OSB sheet wall, and sheetrock lid to hold insulation...want a center door in wall to enable me to drag a tractor in if I have to work on a dead one...

The size of the door, width, height and weight will determine the needed header and frame size. If you have an 84 Lumber supply near you they have about the best computer program I have used to work out those details. Unlike the big box stores, 84 has guys that actually do know building and around here they also know the code enforcement regulations for the local towns. OSB (Oriented Strand Board) is an excellent product but basically meant to be covered over in most applications. It does not take well to being painted as a cover over it. We call it Flake Board here and it is very strong however very flaky if left exposed either inside and certainly never outside in the weather. I would suggest using CDX ply if you plan to leave it uncovered inside.

GaryL
    Fred likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

... and as Gary well knows start with good materials. I try to always cull the lumber and build with straight, unwarped pieces. Helping a friend today replace a fence and quality of pressure treated timbers he got is dissappointing.
    The shop floor and wall plan sounds straight forward. Frame flat on floor then tip up wall sections?
    Last edited by Fred; 11-30-2018 at 08:20 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links