The Worst Year In Human History According To Scientists
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Worst Year In Human History According To Scientists

Thumbs up The Worst Year In Human History According To Scientists

Generally speaking, people living in 2018 are pretty fortunate when you compare modern times to the full scale of human history. Life expectancy hovers at around 72 years, and diseases like smallpox and diphtheria, which were widespread and deadly only a century ago, are preventable, curable, or altogether eradicated. But let's journey back to a time when humans were not 7.7 billion strong, and a global catastrophe was about to warp Earth's climate and decimate its population. It was a period so grim that scientists are calling the year it started "the worst year to be alive."

No, we're not talking about 1349, when the Black Death killed more than half of Europe's population. Nor are we talking about 1918, when an influenza outbreak wiped out tens of millions. The unluckiest year to be alive, according to Science Magazine, was much further back in history: AD 536.

This year was during a period medieval historians call the Dark Ages, and it was in 536 that that name took on a literal meaning. An enormous volcanic eruption in Iceland launched massive amounts of ash into the sky. The ash would create a "mysterious fog," blocking out the sun over several continents. And this fog would last for 18 months. Read about some more disturbing historical facts you didn't learn in school.

And it wasn't just the dark skies that made this eruption so catastrophic. Because of the obscured sunlight, temperatures plummeted–China experienced below-freezing weather in midsummer–and crops failed throughout Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. People starved to death on a massive scale. And the medieval world still couldn't catch a break. In 541, the Bubonic Plague reared its ugly head for the first time, long before its better-known outbreak in the 12th century. Historians call this outbreak the Plague of Justinian, and it wiped out an estimated 33 to 50 percent of the Eastern Roman Empire.

Modern scientists and historians have long known about this sudden bout of darkness, but the exact cause remained a mystery until recently. A Cambridge University study published in November 2018 theorized that a volcanic eruption triggered the widespread darkness. That knowledge allowed the authors of the study to come to a definitive conclusion: The year 536 was as bad as years come. "It was the beginning of one of the worst periods to be alive, if not the worst year".

We have a lot to be thankful for don't we?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks Tommy...fascinating!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Pretty scary if you ask me, but we've got our own coming one day if you read Revelations in the Bible. I don't want to be here for that one... just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Thanks Tommy...fascinating!
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Here's a preview of what's coming...

https://www.openbible.info/topics/the_end_of_time

We'll never be able to say nobody told me.

Thought you might be talking about the last year of Obummer's presidency.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

I actually thought you were going to say "the year without a summer" -- 1816. On that date, the same things happened, except the event you cite was likely MUCH worse. Still, many did die of starvation from crop failures in 1816, and there was frost, snow, and ice in parts of the Unite States in June and August. Other parts of the world were more harshly affected.
    Last edited by kj7687; 12-12-2018 at 11:54 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Angry

And no TWs around

Not sure if it's actually the end of time or just another phase/cycle but isn't "2 Timothy 3:1-5" happening now?
    littletommy likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

This is why I am so critical about all the Global Warming and Climate Change regulations and money grabbing legislation being shoved down our throats. We can throw Trillions up Gazillions of dollars at regulating the climate and one good fart from a rather large volcano can send all that money down the drain in a matter of minutes. We can't deny that we as the human inhabitants of this world are damaging it but more than anything it is the population explosion close to reaching 8 Billion strong that has the most detrimental effects. Who among us is willing to give up their TWs, SUVs, Pick up trucks, oil or gas burning home furnaces and every other internal combustion devices that keep this world running?
    Right here in these united states we have a super volcano in and around Yellowstone that could blow it's top tomorrow and be the near end of all life as we know it. It is an eiree thought but very real. How about some massive comet hurling toward the globe and we can't stop it. A major earthquake in or close to NYC could kill millions in a flash and turn the entire worlds economy on it's ear for many years. I have lived through a number of long duration power failures right here where I live over the last 20 years and can tell you for sure when the electric is off we go in to a very bad state of emergency pretty quick. It is usually just an isolated regional thing but if the entire power grid shuts down over major sections of this country you can rest assured we are not at all prepared for it. I can probably keep my own home running OK for 3 weeks or more and have enough food supplies for that long. When all the fuel runs out between what I keep for the generator and can suction out of my vehicles if there is no place to get more fuel life will get real hard real fast. Folks will panic in the big metro areas first but then spread out to the country in search of those who have the means to stay alive. As we speak the country of Venezuela is as close to total societal collapse as we have ever seen in this modern world. Those who cut and ran early are probably way better off than those who stayed because the rule of law is near completely gone in many of the high populous areas and life is cheap with thugs ruling every street corner and the government is completely overwhelmed. This is all Doomsday stuff but Doomsday could be tomorrow if you really do think about it. Just ask yourself, How long could you live without fuel, without electricity and without food or clean water? Noah and the Ark are a good story weather true or not but there are not all that many Arks around today and those who don't have tickets would sink it anyway.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I made the no fossil fuel sacrifice till age 39 and even the TW only sips fuel. I'm only now studying to take my first drivers test now that I'm living in the country again. Mostly for emergency purposes.

We talk a lot about alarmist theories that are worthy of concern but despite the high population we've never had it better on average. I do agree there are way too many people on this planet. It's one reason I have no children.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links