VW Beetle Fans
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: VW Beetle Fans

VW Beetle Fans

Years back I was amazed at the love and customization lavished on VW Beetles in some cultures where gas cost about $5 US a gallon. They really are capable and versatile machines, and will likely remain one of the sought after classics whether stock, abused, or gloriously customized.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-16-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    MatadorMkV, Tweaker, Darth and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Someday Fred. Around here, they want like $20,000 for pristine and maybe around $8,000 for nice. What did these things cost new?...LOL

I am a big fan. I had a 64 6 volt bug I made into a Baja bug. I put a type 3s motor out of a fastback. They call them a pancake motor because the fan ran off of the crankshaft and if you lost a belt they wouldn’t overheat. I really liked the 68s because of the irs rear suspension and 12v. I precancerous the Baja 500 in it one year. I went the whole way without any flats. I passes a prerun race truck that had two flats in one hour on one section near Rancho Chapalla up to Gonzaga Bay.
    ejfranz, Fred and Ken like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My Dad bought a new 68 f bugor ?$1999.

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I hear you on the pricing. I was seriously looking for one for my first car back in the early eighties. The ones I was looking at were in the $500-$1000 range. I wanted one mainly because they were so easy to work on and customizable. Unfortunately I couldn't find one with a solid enough floor pan to buy one. Still would like one of "the people's cars". From a custom standpoint, my favorite around here was what looked like a basic red beetle. The guy shoehorned a big block Chevy in the front. It still had the little exhaust tip sticking out the back and the wind up key on the rear hood. Unless you crawled underneath and saw the narrowed rear end and the 2" exhaust, you wouldn't know any different. Talk about a sleeper.
    Tweaker, Darth, grewen and 1 others like this.
    1999 Yamaha TW 200
    2003 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM
    2004 Triumph Sprint ST

The CA cars are all good. So many got chopped up for dune buggies, Baja buggies and Manz buggies. I kinda wish for a good Manx as they are street legal.

Last edited by Tweaker; 12-16-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Learned to drive my Mom's new 1963 Bug ($1300 out the door). My first car was a used 1964 Bug ($1000 from a used car lot) in 1965. Lots of great memories. Also owned a 1963 and 1970 but obviously the 1964 was my favorite.

Regular gas was 29.9 cents a gallon and I got 30 MPG......... Cost me a penny a mile. Gas/grass/orAss no one rode for free.
    Last edited by BillMichaels; 12-16-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Add more info.
    TW-Brian, Tweaker, Joemama and 4 others like this.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

I courted my wife in Brazil back when Beetles were very common there.
    It would not be unusual out in the country to see barely glowing headlights of an oncoming 6V older beetle appearently running 12V headlights...mighty dim, not even as bright as a Boy Scout flashlight.
    And in the big cities most everyone ran with their headlights off as a courtesy to others once it got dark.
    One night in Sao Paulo amid a torrential downpour I helped move a wife's friend from one ancient apartment building to another. I was using a decrepit worn out borrowed Kombi flatbed whose windshield wipers refused to turn off. This made the timing of entering and exiting the VW tricky for if not careful the closing door would eat the moving windshield wiper. Then the key got stuck in the cylinder so that the entire lock cylinder came out in my hands. For the rest of the many-load evening I had to carry the key plus lock cylinder in my pocket until time to cram it back into the steering column and drive again. Still it was a very functional popular class of vehicle almost anyone could keep running with tape, wire and a little wishful thinking.
    Mel, jtstdub and Darth like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Great story Fred. So many good cheap parts came from Brazil. I r emember dual port heads and centifical advance distributors.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links