Anyone with a PWS?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Anyone with a PWS?

Anyone with a PWS?

I used to have a PWS Personal Weather Station, set up at my house before the fire. Now just getting back into it and bought myself a Christmas gift;
    Ambient Weather WS-2000.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once I get it set up and logging to Weather Underground, I'll post up the link. I'll also host a live weather cam as well.
    The bear slayer!

I like the person weather stations that also post current weather to the internet since regional micro-climates can experience significantly different weather conditions from the nearest official sites, which tend to be frequently located in town or at airports.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-19-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Very cool idea for a christmass gift (for me)! Thank you...
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

O.K., this thing absolutely ROCKS!
    But, first things first. If anyone is interested in a personal weather station, I can assure you, that for the money, Ambient Weather is the best. You would have to step up to professional equipment to get what you get with Ambient. I base this on the quality of the product, the support and the documentation.
    First, the product. The design is such that the physical separation between the components prevent interference. It also results in a much smaller profile. Considering wind load, that is important. More is not better when hanging a sail on top of a mast.
    Second, the support. My first experience with support was a question I asked on Amazon for this thing. Within minutes, my question as answered. I had a couple follow up questions and they too were answered quickly. Pretty good! But wait, it gets better! The person who answered was Ed. Who's Ed you ask? He's the CEO/owner of the company, that's who. I'm impressed. Next, I petitioned to join their Facebook group; Ambient Weather Network Users Group. After a couple days and not getting approved, I e-mailed the contact on their website. Again, Ed answered my e-mail. He told me he was sorry he didn't approve me sooner, he was somehow logging into his own facebook, not the company's and didn't see it. So the top dog at the place daily checks Amazon questions, general delivery e-mails to the company and approves the users on the user group facebook site.
    And lastly, documentation. When this thing arrived a 55 page manual was right on top. Not just a tiny manual, but a full 8.5x11 inch sheet double sided and small type. Lots of diagrams, pictures, language written in English that makes sense. While it's pretty intuitive how to set this thing up, it's also nice to find all the documentation provided. There is also a page on their website that has all the software and manuals to down load. There were updates to my new weatherstation and the steps were very clear how to perform them to update. There's a smart phone app so you can see your weather station sensors any where. You can also create an account on any of several weather websites. I used Weather Underground. Also, Ambient has their own cloud based weather site you can use. By logging data to either or both sites, you will have an archive to trend and graph data. Very cool, especially since all that is free.
    Funny story though;
    I was having trouble getting my display to connect to wifi. In fact, it didn't see my wifi. Kept asking me if I had a hidden SSID. Finally I clicked yes and typed in my home network name. It's not protected, I live way too far out in the woods to worry about it, but it would not let me finish without a password, so I just put any old thing in. Well it worked! Soon as I did that, the monitor saw my wifi. Later, when I went to check for updates, sure enough, version 1.2.1 "The console could not connect to a non-secure network. This issue was resolved." Ha! If I had just did the updates to the firmware, I would never have noticed an issue. Fortunately though, my understanding of computers told me that it didn't matter what Ambient thought my password was, as long as my wifi gateway didn't require one, what's the harm?

While this model, the WS-2000 is the best, there is a cheaper version, the WS-2902. It uses all the same sensors, but with a slightly less robust monitor. I would have gone that way myself except for two things; first, it requires a smart phone and their app to connect the monitor to the internet. (But maybe not. I'm told the new version, WS-2902A, has built in wifi logon) Once connected, the app and smart phone are no longer needed. Also, the WS-2000 allows for an additional 8 temperature/humidity sensors to connect up to the monitor. You can stick them anywhere; freezer, RV to check for freezing conditions, attic, crawl space, barn, shop, dog house, anything you care to monitor. But, back to the WS-2000 since that is what I have. Everything is adjustable on this thing. You can set offsets for all the sensors for example if you find that a unit is slightly off calibration. You can set all sorts of alarms. Windspeed for example, or humidity or rain fall rate. You'll get a text or e-mail when an alarm is triggered.
    The display is settable for brightness or even turn off the display when you go to bed if you keep it in your bedroom. It will turn the display back on with the time you set for that too.

Most important; there are 10, yes TEN sensors this thing measures.
    wind speed, direction, rainfall, temperature, humidity, UV and Solar Radiation from the outdoor sensor array, and barometric pressure, humidity and temperature from the indoor sensor.
    On top of that, there are several calculated parameters; Wind Chill and Heat Index, Dew Point, Wind Speed and Direction (averaged once per second over 16 seconds), Gust (the maximum wind speed sampled once per second in the 16 second update period), 10 Minute Wind Speed and Direction Average, Sunrise, Sunset, Moon Phase, Forecast, and more.
    All this is on the display. Also on the display is wifi signal strength, connectivity to your cloud stored data on their site, connectivity to Weather Underground, low battery voltage from the outside field sensor and low battery voltage from the indoor sensor.

I'm tellin' ya; this thing does it all.

Here's a link to my Weather Underground site;
    https://www.wunderground.com/persona...ID=KCAELDOR116

From that site, I can get widgets. I'll try to add to my signature line if possible.
    The bear slayer!

I can't figure out how to add a widget;

<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KCAELDOR116&freq=&units =english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KCAELDOR116&freq=&units =english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>
    The bear slayer!

I am stuck in the middle here where I live. Getting any degree of accuracy from the NOAA site is painfully funny. My predictions come from either Binghampton, NY which is 100 to the NW of my home or from NY City which is 90 miles SE from my home. Being in a rather mountainous spot, NY Catskills which actually are baby mountains when compared to others we still get completely different weather than what is predicted by the major networks. The joke around here is often stated as "Another couple of inches of Partly Cloudy". I try to pick my kayak fishing days based on the wind predictions and all to often I see calm winds becoming 5-7 MPH out of the NW in the afternoon. That's not too bad if I fish into the NW and then get blown back to the launch. Can't tell you how many times they were dead wrong and the wind is actually howling out of the SW at 15 MPH by the time I start heading back. I now have my kayak with electric power for just this reason and have been very glad I did it on a few trips. Paddling 4 or 5 miles into the wind is no easy task and if I need to take a rest along the way back to the dock I get blown back half a mile in just a short rest period. My lake/reservoir is just 3 miles from my home but over the mountain and into the next valley. I have been blown off the lake by winds and waves only to get back home to find very little winds on my side of the mountain. Just last summer I was sitting right here in my kitchen where I can see out the front picture window and out the back sliding doors. It was pouring rain in buckets in the front yard and sunny and dry as a bone in the back yard. That same day just 3 miles north from my home they had what they called a Micro Burst storm with straight line winds of over 100 MPH that tore up thousands of massive pines and took out all of the power lines in a 2 mile section along the main highway. We had hardly a breeze here. If I don't like the weather here all I have to do is wait about 15 minutes until it changes and the change could be a 180 degree flip from what the predictions were.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I have an Accurite 1536. Got it 2 years ago to monitor rainfall and temp for irrigation purposes. I am an official NOAA weather observer so it comes in handy for reporting rainfall, wind and temp. It’s not “on line” or connected to computer. I’m a weather freak so it feeds my inquisitive nature. Just curious, given your screen name; you teach or patrol?? I was former pro patroller ions ago.

I have an Accurite 1536. Got it 2 years ago to monitor rainfall and temp for irrigation purposes. I am an official NOAA weather observer so it comes in handy for reporting rainfall, wind and temp. It’s not “on line” or connected to computer. I’m a weather freak so it feeds my inquisitive nature. Just curious, given your screen name; you teach or patrol?? I was former pro patroller ions ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Appleguy View Post
    I taught a few years back. Instructors were called Ski Pros, much like golf instructors are called Golf Pros. These days, I just wanna ski at my pace and my schedule. I mostly did it for the freebies as I had a family and we all got season passes.
    Tweaker and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    The bear slayer!

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I have an Ambient Weather station sitting in my office for almost a year, waiting to be installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links