Work Benches
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work Benches

similar to the garage thread...

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...115#entry48115

i'm in the process of building a workbench for my basement...just figured i would see if anyone else wants to share photos of their setups...95% of the materials for my bench are free, yes even the table tops and shelves (the peg board and a sheet of plywood i bought)...not sure that i will change my plans much but i may tweak them if i see a good idea that i can incorporate...

built the work bench frame (table tops not attached yet)...

hung the shelves (undershelf lighting built in) and peg board (table tops still not attached)...still have to build under bench shelves and attach the table tops...probably build the shelves out of the same table top material since i have a lot of them and they won't warp if they are unsupported like plywood...

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    You need to have some horizontal braces between the bench legs, or diagonal braces between the legs and the top, otherwise the entire setup can collapse if pushed from the top with enough force. Maybe your underbench shelves will provide the required support and stiffness, but if you decide not to do that, at least get some 2x4's attached between the lower part of the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    You need to have some horizontal braces between the bench legs, or diagonal braces between the legs and the top, otherwise the entire setup can collapse if pushed from the top with enough force. Maybe your underbench shelves will provide the required support and stiffness, but if you decide not to do that, at least get some 2x4's attached between the lower part of the legs.

thanks...i planned on handling that with the shelving supports

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

that's a pretty good idea for a step...if i decide i need one i may just make a movable box step since the table top is currently at a good height for working and i don't really want to stand farther away from the bench all the time...the braces will be on the inside of the legs and i'm not sure if i am going to have the shelves come all the way to the front face of the 4x4 legs...i may end them 2" or 3" in to give me a little standing room

What worked well for me was using a nice 'bedroom' chest of drawers as a base. This was a nice piece of furniture, hardwood mostly with strong dove-tail joints, Lane I believe. I found it in a consignment shop for $38 likely because the top was badly stained and scratched. I covered the top with two thick layers of high density press board. Removed the spindly legs and raised the unit with cinder blocks epoxied atop one another, a row on the right, center and left. Very strong and stable. Nice storage in the drawers and underneath between the rows of blocks. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

nice idea Gerry!...i actually have an old beat up dresser down there right now for storage (not a solid piece of furniture like yours though) as well as a desk, a horizontal file cabinet and a small set of drawers...i'm going to be coming into some new tools in the near future so i need all the storage i can get

my other methods of storage in the basement that i have acquired...none of it is setup where i want it at the moment and there is stuff everywhere...also have 2 tall metal shelves not pictured (1 free & 1 bought)...

horizontal file cabinet (free)

set of drawers (free)

rolling tool chest (xmas present)

dresser & desk (both free)

rolling cart (free)

hung some lighting in my basement the past couple weekends and got the shelving supports on the work bench frame saturday...i should have the bench complete this coming weekend and then it will be time organize the basement and fill it with tools

side note...just scored a couple of these 6 lamp t5 fixtures to replace the weak lighting in my garage and wow are they bright!!!...def recommended!!!...

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...y_112_prd1.htm

here is where i am with the bench...

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    That looks solid vertically to support serious weight, but to me is not that stable from being collapsed if the either end is pushed, You need to add diagonal braces between each leg to the top horizontal rail or to each other - you may only have to do it in the back so it's out of the way instead of front and back. The 2x4's or 1x3's or whatever that is on the floor will keep the legs from moving apart but will not keep it from collapsing. Triangles are the strongest insurance you can have. Another choice to stabilize it is to fix the top or the rear legs to the wall so it can't move or slide in either direction. Fixing it right will save you untold grief later.

As an aside, another suggestion - if you take those 2 horizontal braces you now have on the floor and you raise them up to the height of your other fore and aft braces (let them rest on top), you could put a shelf under there for light tool storage. They serve little purpose on the floor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links