Winter Camping - Solo (it's 7 degrees here)..
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Winter Camping - Solo (it's 7 degrees here)..

Winter Camping - Solo (it's 7 degrees here)..

Just got back a while ago from scouting out a place to camp and test some new gear over the next couple three days. It's brutal out there. Had to wear my arctic gear. The wind is cranking, they say the wind chill is 38 below right now. Anyway if all goes well I'll be fully set up tommorow in my arctic oven tent down by the trout stream out yonder..

Had to wear the the real deal tonight... Down parka, down liner, arctic mittens.. brrrr.. I don't ever remember it being this cold here, it has been, just don't seem to remember it biting like it was. I thought my nose would freeze. I must be getting old.

IMG_1571.JPG
    Tweaker, Fred, TW-Brian and 5 others like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Go for it and make lasting memories. Looks like you have the necessary gear if you're already somewhat acclimated. Keep your down dry from condensation.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered Ild Rather Be Motorcycling

I hear you on that "keep the down dry". I always layer clothes and pay attention and only wear merino wool under it, no cotton. Just in case I bring polar fleece and a spare in my Ahkio sled. Wool base layers makes a huge difference in keeping down dry. I think it keeps the perspiration freely moving through your clothes where cotton holds water and wets out the down. Just a theory from experience but who knows. Yes that's why I'm doing this.. for the memories
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Minus 13 here right now and happy to be warm sitting by the coal stove. I do a lot of ice fishing in some very cold weather and have the gear that works for me. I found the thermal long john's by under armor work the best of any that I ever had. They come in grades from Base 1.0 through Base 4.0 and the 4.0 is what I wear on the ice and while hunting and sitting in a tree stand. I also have some great down coats but honestly don't wear them often because I get too warm if I do any activity. Most times when hunting or fishing in very cold I go with light clothes while I am working and walking and dragging gear out. This keeps me from overheating and getting wet inside. Once I settle down to sit I bundle up and as long as I am dry in the first layer I am fine for the day. Cotton is a killer once it gets moist so for my needs I always start the first layer with polypropylene socks against the skin as they tend to wick moisture away to the second layer of moriano wool. My feet are the hardest part to keep warm and I have some of the best and most bulky boots money can buy but they still get cold no matter what I try. Last year I found the best solution for cold feet. Light weight boots with at least 1,000 grams of thinsulate with the poly socks and wool ones for walking. Once I get seated I have a pair of over the boot booties that are fat and bulky but as long as my feet did not sweat during the walk these booties work great.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

"Winter Camping - Solo (it's 7 degrees here)"

40's and 50's over the weekend. 3 degrees here in NYC right now.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

GaryL and Sthrnromr like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I know what u mean, guys. It was down to 15 here by sunset. .....Oh wait.....that's Centigrade.
    Fred and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Minus 13 here right now and happy to be warm sitting by the coal stove. I do a lot of ice fishing in some very cold weather and have the gear that works for me. I found the thermal long john's by under armor work the best of any that I ever had. They come in grades from Base 1.0 through Base 4.0 and the 4.0 is what I wear on the ice and while hunting and sitting in a tree stand. I also have some great down coats but honestly don't wear them often because I get too warm if I do any activity. Most times when hunting or fishing in very cold I go with light clothes while I am working and walking and dragging gear out. This keeps me from overheating and getting wet inside. Once I settle down to sit I bundle up and as long as I am dry in the first layer I am fine for the day. Cotton is a killer once it gets moist so for my needs I always start the first layer with polypropylene socks against the skin as they tend to wick moisture away to the second layer of moriano wool. My feet are the hardest part to keep warm and I have some of the best and most bulky boots money can buy but they still get cold no matter what I try. Last year I found the best solution for cold feet. Light weight boots with at least 1,000 grams of thinsulate with the poly socks and wool ones for walking. Once I get seated I have a pair of over the boot booties that are fat and bulky but as long as my feet did not sweat during the walk these booties work great.

GaryL
    Couldnt agree more with Under Armor. My girlfriend bought me level 4.0 to encourage me to move back to WI from FL. One of many reasons why she is now my wife. The new cold weather gear is a huge improvement over the old cotton long johns (you know the ones with the big pooper flap in the back).
    GaryL and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Couldn’t agree more with Under Armor. My girlfriend bought me level 4.0 to encourage me to move back to WI from FL. One of many reasons why she is now my wife. The new cold weather gear is a huge improvement over the old cotton long johns (you know the ones with the big pooper flap in the back).
    You made me do it! Sounds to me like she was trying to get in your under ware.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Cotton has been justifiably named "the death fabric" by outdoorsy types for a long time. Glad you're leaving it at home.
    Your perspiration and moisture in each breath will condense as it moves away from warm body until it cools and hits the dew point. Spare sleeping outfit and/or bedding air-outs can lessen moisture build-up over successive nights.
    Should be quite an adventure, just try not to mix up the drinking water bottle & over-night pee bottle. Need to keep both in the bag to prevent freezing.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered Ild Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links