Where'd we go?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Where'd we go?

Where'd we go?

Well, nowhere actually lol. Been very busy over the course of the last, almost 2 years now. I opened my four wheeler repair shop back up at the house and started working from home. It has it's ups and downs and it has a tendency to make things kinda tight from time to time (ok, alot of the time) but we seem to be doing ok overall. I also have a Ebay used ATV/motorcycle parts store that I sell items from and it usually does us pretty well. Mudbug on the other hand is a bit of a stained glass addict. She has been making suncatchers, window panes etc, (there is a vintage honda wing and a yamaha? logo on the way).
    It's just me, Mudbug and our daughter here, the oldest (stepson) wanted a bigger better deal (I guess that would be a way to put it) so after some discussion (well, him lying and us figuring it out) he went to live elsewhere which we thought would be better for him, has just been a different type of headache for us. Well just leave it at that for now
    Our Daughter on the other hand, She home schools in the TOPS program, volunteers at the Library sometimes twice a week (as much as 10 hours), Has won several national art contests now, is making hard attempts at writing her own book along with various other bubbly idea's and she's not quite 15 yet.
    I am without a bike once more or me and Bug are sharing the TW if you want to look at it that way lol. Being that Chanlee will be old enough to drive soon I seized the opportunity to trade the XT for a GMC Yukon that we wanted so our truck could become hers (I bought our truck 3 days before she was born so I thought it fitting that she gets it). I will be looking for another bike soon and if i can get my hands on it, I would prefer a TW, aside from the short highway trips that we have to make, it simply works better in our conditions over the XT. We will be back on here a little more often as time allows and Chanlee isn't using the computer for school. How has everyone else been over the course of our absence?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

A few of us have been wondering what happened to you guys – looks like real life got in the way, which happens to us all

Good to hear from you, and that you’re OK

How are we getting on ? – well, pretty much the same as you guys – lol

Don’t be such a stranger …….
    Tweaker, Ken, Dryden-Tdub and 3 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Thanks foe sharing, nice pic of you two.
    Smitty Blackstone and Ken like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Thanks foe sharing, nice pic of you two.
    Thanks you, it was Haloween, she volunteered at the Library that day and dressed up as an Artist, My hair is purplish but its hard to tell. Thats Mudbugs favorite picture of me and Chanlee.

Purple, Always good to hear from you, we will be back around a little more as time provides, much better entertainment here compared to Facebook for me anyway
    Purple, Smitty Blackstone and Ken like this.
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

As with all things mechanical there is one lesson I have learned along the way that can't be denied, It takes money to make money. Home spun ATV repairs is a good side line but most owners ever really go away from DIY when there is a deeper more serious issue they can't tackle themselves. Most owners are also looking for the cheapest fix on those they can't do themselves. A better plan might be to buy units weather they are bikes or ATVs that need TLC and some degree of repairs but you can assess the repair costs and know for sure there is some meat left on the bones after you get it fixed and ready to resell. I have done this specifically with TWs more than a few times and only once have I actually lost any money on one because I failed to fully assess what repairs it really needed. In the peak of my hobby buy/repair/resell endeavors I always had a few thousand in cash at the ready for when a deal came along. If I found a TW for a thousand and put $500 in repairs and some time but sold it for $2,000 I was at least staying busy and making some profit that went right back into the TW fund. That would not work if the profit you make is needed to run the home and family needs because the fund must always be available for the next deal and ready in your hands. At the beginning in my case it was both feast and famine where I spent family household money to get started before I made enough to fund my hobby with the profits from it. I don't work on ATVs but right now I know of a couple that probably need $500 in repairs that I could buy outright for $500. Once I get them fixed and running they would easily bring $2,000 and sell pretty quick at the right time of year. I did the same with small outboard marine motors for a while and there is a guy up the road from me who buys and sells lawn mowers and snowblowers with the same ethics. We do love those machines that only need a minor carb cleaning or rebuild to get them running but their owners are just so frustrated with them they will practically give them away just to have the reason to go buy a new one. People with absolutely no mechanical abilities are often your very best customers and money in the bank but you must be liquid enough financially to grab a deal when you see it and sharp enough to know a deal when it presents itself. I found a small 6 HP Johnson outboard motor at a yard sale last summer. The guy said it had not run in years but was running fine when his father died. I bought it for $25, his asking price. It took me a full hour to get it purring like a kitten and only needed a good carb cleaning, new plug and some TLC. I sold it for $300 the following weekend and the new owner stops at my house all the time telling me what a great motor it is. Other peoples trash is your treasure if you have the skills and money to make it happen.

Best of luck and do look beyond just ATVs where ever motors are concerned. The less complicated the better it is to get involved with.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    As with all things mechanical there is one lesson I have learned along the way that can't be denied, It takes money to make money. Home spun ATV repairs is a good side line but most owners ever really go away from DIY when there is a deeper more serious issue they can't tackle themselves. Most owners are also looking for the cheapest fix on those they can't do themselves. A better plan might be to buy units weather they are bikes or ATVs that need TLC and some degree of repairs but you can assess the repair costs and know for sure there is some meat left on the bones after you get it fixed and ready to resell. I have done this specifically with TWs more than a few times and only once have I actually lost any money on one because I failed to fully assess what repairs it really needed. In the peak of my hobby buy/repair/resell endeavors I always had a few thousand in cash at the ready for when a deal came along. If I found a TW for a thousand and put $500 in repairs and some time but sold it for $2,000 I was at least staying busy and making some profit that went right back into the TW fund. That would not work if the profit you make is needed to run the home and family needs because the fund must always be available for the next deal and ready in your hands. At the beginning in my case it was both feast and famine where I spent family household money to get started before I made enough to fund my hobby with the profits from it. I don't work on ATVs but right now I know of a couple that probably need $500 in repairs that I could buy outright for $500. Once I get them fixed and running they would easily bring $2,000 and sell pretty quick at the right time of year. I did the same with small outboard marine motors for a while and there is a guy up the road from me who buys and sells lawn mowers and snowblowers with the same ethics. We do love those machines that only need a minor carb cleaning or rebuild to get them running but their owners are just so frustrated with them they will practically give them away just to have the reason to go buy a new one. People with absolutely no mechanical abilities are often your very best customers and money in the bank but you must be liquid enough financially to grab a deal when you see it and sharp enough to know a deal when it presents itself. I found a small 6 HP Johnson outboard motor at a yard sale last summer. The guy said it had not run in years but was running fine when his father died. I bought it for $25, his asking price. It took me a full hour to get it purring like a kitten and only needed a good carb cleaning, new plug and some TLC. I sold it for $300 the following weekend and the new owner stops at my house all the time telling me what a great motor it is. Other peoples trash is your treasure if you have the skills and money to make it happen.

Best of luck and do look beyond just ATVs where ever motors are concerned. The less complicated the better it is to get involved with.

GaryL
    I did take a boat the other day, waiting on the customer to get back with me but I don't think he is going to spend anything on it so If thats the case, I'll have a decent Johnson 4.5 to get rid of (Lake wright patman is only 9 miles away) and I did a little bit of lawn mower repairs but didnt really care to mess with them as much. I have purchased 3 ATV's so far that appeared to be good ones to work with on the outside, Once on the inside, 2 became Ebay parts, the other didn't wasn't steak profits but it got some bills paid and took care of a little of Christmas so it worked out well. Getting a few worth fixing and getting out there with a couple for sell is a very good way to make money.
    Xracer likes this.
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    I did take a boat the other day, waiting on the customer to get back with me but I don't think he is going to spend anything on it so If thats the case, I'll have a decent Johnson 4.5 to get rid of (Lake wright patman is only 9 miles away) and I did a little bit of lawn mower repairs but didnt really care to mess with them as much. I have purchased 3 ATV's so far that appeared to be good ones to work with on the outside, Once on the inside, 2 became Ebay parts, the other didn't wasn't steak profits but it got some bills paid and took care of a little of Christmas so it worked out well. Getting a few worth fixing and getting out there with a couple for sell is a very good way to make money.
    On boat outboard motors here is a tip or two. Of course you make sure the piston is not frozen in the cylinder. Put it in gear and see if the prop spins easy or if it tries to turn the piston. If it spins easy then the shear pin is probably sheared and an easy fix but the drive shaft could also be sheared and usually not worth repairing. Boats up here are usually just a hole in the water you throw money into, BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand. Motors that hang off the back and in particular the small kicker type fishing outboards are almost always gold.

GaryL
    Xracer and Lomax like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    On boat outboard motors here is a tip or two. Of course you make sure the piston is not frozen in the cylinder. Put it in gear and see if the prop spins easy or if it tries to turn the piston. If it spins easy then the shear pin is probably sheared and an easy fix but the drive shaft could also be sheared and usually not worth repairing. Boats up here are usually just a hole in the water you throw money into, BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand. Motors that hang off the back and in particular the small kicker type fishing outboards are almost always gold.

GaryL
    Break out another thousand! I love it, Like JEEP that I am used too, Just Emptied Every Pocket!!! I am on the lookout for small motors, I go the local metal yard pretty regular but It's been 4 wheelers for parts I've bought the last few times. This is where they go https://www.ebay.com/str/surpluscycle
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

It's great to read about other re-cycle folks. My gig is push lawnmowers and vacuum cleaners. Often times all they need is the filters cleaned and the hair removed. Nice easy way to make 20 to 30 dollars.
    Lomax likes this.

Home spun repair businesses are great because of the very low overhead. Most of us don't need to charge $75-$100 per hour to pay the rent and keep the lights and employees on and happy. Repairs that are relatively simple for us wrenchers are way out of reach for many home owners.
    I used to do handyman carpentry and minor home repairs. All was fine until I installed a ceiling fan for a customer who was rehabbing his home. Some building inspector came in to inspect plumbing and heating progress and asked who installed the ceiling fan. I got busted for doing electric work and not being a certified electrician. $1,000 fine and snatched my DBA home repair certification.

GaryL
    Lomax and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links