Where are all the guys working?
Close
         
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Where are all the guys working?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,841

    Where are all the guys working?

    What I have observed here in Houston recently is women working yard crews, working the loaders and other positions at the dirt yards. I have also observed more women driving trucks in our area. That brings me to the question above. Where are all the guys working? Are the men working? Are current men such slackers they play video games while their wives support them? Are the men filling more technical roles leaving manual jobs to the ladies? What do you think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member plumbstraight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Montesano, Washington
    Posts
    2,674
    women are forced into working to support their kids. There are lots of jobs for truck drivers, companies are begging for drivers, thing is the applicants can't pass a drug screen. Is a shame that it takes two to house and feed a family anymore. I don't know how newlyweds get by to have a home, car, truck and feed themselves. Is a challenge for sure.
    Mel, Ken, buellzebub and 2 others like this.

  3. #3
    Junior Member TBItoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1
    Single moms need jobs
    plumbstraight and Darth like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Mamaroneck, NY
    Posts
    2,173
    I asked about this recently. A friend has a construction company. He said he loves having women operators and drivers. They treat the equipment very well. His repair bills have plummeted.

    I do not mean this to be derogatory, as I believe women can do ANYTHING. But there is something to be said about a gentle touch. Proven by my friend's repair bills.
    buellzebub, troll, admiral and 8 others like this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Lomax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    women are forced into working to support their kids. There are lots of jobs for truck drivers, companies are begging for drivers, thing is the applicants can't pass a drug screen. Is a shame that it takes two to house and feed a family anymore. I don't know how newlyweds get by to have a home, car, truck and feed themselves. Is a challenge for sure.
    It's been difficult but you make things work as best they can and be careful. Now I work from home and MudBug has been working on her stained glass and I think a brighter future is ahead.

    To Answer Kens Question, There are alot of Ladies that feel they need to "prove themselves" (what they are trying to prove, my opinion is not important) or just as mentioned above, it's the only thing they can find. I know men, that are capable, that lay around all day doing nothing. In one persons case his Veteran parents pay for his 40 plus year old ass to lay around in his hovel and he just wishes he could move back home. WTF. no wonder a woman has to do a mans job when you have this
    Ken, plumbstraight, Xracer and 3 others like this.
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

  7. #6
    Senior Member Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    I asked about this recently. A friend has a construction company. He said he loves having women operators and drivers. They treat the equipment very well. His repair bills have plummeted.

    I do not mean this to be derogatory, as I believe women can do ANYTHING. But there is something to be said about a gentle touch. Proven by my friend's repair bills.
    I have heard similar on that topic. I personally believe if you take care of the equipment you do less work. Therefore I am easy on the equipment because it is much easier than a shovel. I worked in the computer industry 33 years, the controlled environment was very nice. There was a very good mix of men and women which made a nice place to work. Many manual labor jobs are less stressful which is partly why I am at my current job. Perhaps everyone is figuring that out. I joke about that we have the most educated manual laborers around. College degrees, income tax consultants, book keepers, the list goes on. I speculate also that there are hard working women replacing many lazy useless guys.
    Lomax, troll, Mel and 5 others like this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member bartruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Wenatchee Wa.
    Posts
    157
    About 66% of the workforce are guys....women make about 81% of the median salary....in about 50% of families both work....in 20% of families only men work and …..in 7% of families only women work..

    Areas where men dominate the workforce.....73% in Computers/It...…...76% in Agricultural….. 92% in Engineering.....93% in Construction....

    In Bart's World none of the women work outside the home and all the men are Engineers ….and as in Lake Wobegon, all the children are above average.....

    Going back three generations to the current time...prior to that they were famers/ranchers and loggers/mill workers and the women worked in the home except during WWII...
    Last edited by bartruff; 02-06-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Ken and Darth like this.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Wrangling the Sierras
    Posts
    18,407
    There are lots of new women working in congress now. Last night they were all wearing white while attending the State of the Union Address. Funny thing though was they all sat silent and wooden faced while hundreds, literally everyone else in the audience, cheered enthusiastically when an end to late term, or post delivery abortion was called for.
    Did they fear for their job security, as it seems this would be a women's rights related issue. If they felt their future appointments to important committees and career advancement was predicated on 100% resistance then too bad. I feel women are important part of the government and private sector work forces and should feel confident to express up their own minds.
    Ken, Xracer, Dryden-Tdub and 4 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

  10. #9
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    7,913
    Something I found with working a labor job after I retired from my career job is that many men can't stand taking orders from the boss or being criticized at work. I hired guys and told them what needed to be done and showed them how to do it and they went and did it their way any way. WTF? Saw the same crap on construction sites where guys that should know their jobs did it their own wrong way and got nasty with the GC when he called them on it. My fishing buddy is in charge of Hotel Operations and just finished and opened a new hotel here. All work done by union workforce laborers. He is pulling his hair out as we speak with such stupid stuff being wrong such as the Hot water faucets being on the cold water side and light switches installed up side down all over the hotel and plumbing leaks everywhere. One guest took a shower the first time the room was rented and flooded the 2 rooms under it because some knucklehead forgot to connect the shower drain. The GC is so incompetent he can't even ID the guy assigned to do that work and the one thing my buddy hears all day long and hates it every time is "That's not my job".

    GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  11. #10
    Senior Member Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,841
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Something I found with working a labor job after I retired from my career job is that many men can't stand taking orders from the boss or being criticized at work. I hired guys and told them what needed to be done and showed them how to do it and they went and did it their way any way. WTF? Saw the same crap on construction sites where guys that should know their jobs did it their own wrong way and got nasty with the GC when he called them on it. My fishing buddy is in charge of Hotel Operations and just finished and opened a new hotel here. All work done by union workforce laborers. He is pulling his hair out as we speak with such stupid stuff being wrong such as the Hot water faucets being on the cold water side and light switches installed up side down all over the hotel and plumbing leaks everywhere. One guest took a shower the first time the room was rented and flooded the 2 rooms under it because some knucklehead forgot to connect the shower drain. The GC is so incompetent he can't even ID the guy assigned to do that work and the one thing my buddy hears all day long and hates it every time is "That's not my job".

    GaryL
    That's really a sad example of today's work ethics. What happened to workmans pride and the peace of mind of doing a good days work?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Sub $250 all new, all OEM kick starter. Yes it’s true
    By maddawgj in forum Technical Write-Ups
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-17-2018, 07:01 AM
  2. Brake light not working or stuck on all the time
    By Gerald in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 07:32 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2015, 10:40 PM
  4. Us Old Guys Have Had Some Cool Bikes - Let's See Them Guys
    By Motorbike1956 in forum Other Bikes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 07:48 PM