Honda Shadow? cr
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So here is the deal. I have only owned one bike, 2010 TDube. I love it and I enjoy it. But I am thinking about getting something to cruise with. Many have told me if you want a long distant cruiser to get nothing less than a 1300. But I am not a fan of power and I really do not want something really big. I was thinking about a Honda Shadow 750. It gets good gas mileage and it has enough power to cruise on the highway.

What are some of your thoughts? I hear they are really reliable, would I be happy with it. I have no trips planed any time soon, but I would like something to be able to take on 3 to 4 hour trip.

Thanks guys
    2010 TW - Easton bars & clamps, cyclerack (black), jimbo shield, acerbis steel gaurds, atv seat pad, custom skid plat, more upgrades soon

The Honda Shadow is a fine motorcycle, I think you'd be happy with one. For the record, I've ridden all over the USA on far less than 1300cc
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodward View Post
    So here is the deal. I have only owned one bike, 2010 TDube. I love it and I enjoy it. But I am thinking about getting something to cruise with. Many have told me if you want a long distant cruiser to get nothing less than a 1300. But I am not a fan of power and I really do not want something really big. I was thinking about a Honda Shadow 750. It gets good gas mileage and it has enough power to cruise on the highway.

What are some of your thoughts? I hear they are really reliable, would I be happy with it. I have no trips planed any time soon, but I would like something to be able to take on 3 to 4 hour trip.

Thanks guys

I sold my 2000 Shadow 600 when I bought my TW - it never was very practical for me as I live a mile up a steep dirt road and, at my age, long range riding is really a job for a car. Anyway, it was a nice bike with enough power and a good look. It was comfortable and handled well. The 750 is similar with a bit more power. One thing wrong with it is that it only has a 5-speed transmission 6 would be nice on a long ride but it should be better than the 600 - with the 4-speed on my 600 and less power I was constantly trying to do "one more shift". You will enjoy this comfortable and rock-solid bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Do NOT go lower then the 750, and double check the 750 to make sure it has a 5 speed. I had a 2007 Honda Shadow 600 and it was a four speed. It was a miserable bike on long trips because of it. 85MPH in fourth gear was brutal.

Not sure if the 750s all have 5 speeds or not, but it is something to look at. Avoid the 600 for going long distance.

I will say my Shadow was absurdly comfortable. First day I rode it for something like 12 hours.
    -Szj

2001 TW

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetzombiejesus View Post
    Do NOT go lower then the 750, and double check the 750 to make sure it has a 5 speed. I had a 2007 Honda Shadow 600 and it was a four speed. It was a miserable bike on long trips because of it. 85MPH in fourth gear was brutal.

Not sure if the 750s all have 5 speeds or not, but it is something to look at. Avoid the 600 for going long distance.

I will say my Shadow was absurdly comfortable. First day I rode it for something like 12 hours.

Agreed on the tranny. You do want that extra gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Flingwing View Post
    Agreed on the tranny. You do want that extra gear.
    The Shadow's are great bikes. I put 62,000 miles on a 96 ACE 1100. I loved the shaft drive because of the very low maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by biglefti View Post
    The Shadow's are great bikes. I put 62,000 miles on a 96 ACE 1100. I loved the shaft drive because of the very low maintenance.
    I think the 1100 is the best of the bunch. Here is one of a bunch of pix of a very cool de-Hondafied 1100 that was on Craigs SF a year or so ago - I was soooooo tempted.

a honda shadow is a solid and reliable bike...i have planned on buying one when i decide to move to a cruiser...all the 2013s are 5 speed bikes...cheaper than a 1300 and plenty of power...i really don't see a need to get into huge cc bikes unless you want the comfort which means added weight which requires more power...i bet the horsepower to weight ratios of a shadow and a TW are pretty similar...now i have to check cause i want to know...that being said, i want this...

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/shadow-phantom.aspx

edit:

2013 TW200 14hp/278lbs wet = 0.0503

2013 Shadow Phantom 35hp/549lbs wet = 0.0637

I found my 600 to be under powered. At 458 pounds and rated for 34 hp /36 Torque. This gives it a higher power to weight ratio then the larger 750 at 0.074235807860262.

I found it to be almost not enough when dealing with traffic on a three lane road. Really have to goose it to get it out of its own way.

Could just be me though. I wasn't a huge fan of the Shadow, it definitely had its perks like comfort and reliability. but for being near 500 pounds + rider I didn't think it could get out of its own way quick enough in traffic. Now this is the 600 model, but it actually has a higher power to weight then the 750, something to think about.
    -Szj

2001 TW

the 2010 1300 custom sabre is 75hp/659lbs wet = 0.1138 ...adds another 100lbs and over doubles the hp...cruisers and just heavy pigs...could look into something like a triumph bonneville which might be a little lighter and get the job done...i like vstar and victory as well...a sport cruiser or an adventure bike would be a better way to keep the weight down and engine size down and still be comfortable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links