generators
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: generators

generators

I have an EW3000 honda generator. Haven't used it in many years, over 10 at least. It has always been in the dry inside. I took the carb off and gave it a thourough cleaning. Fired right up. Thing is, no voltage. It was fine when put away. Anyone have any ideas? Is a puzzle to me.

I would look for corrosion first in the generator power head. I don't know that generator.
    plumbstraight likes this.

is the breaker ok?
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It it may sound odd but some generators lose the magnetism (in the stator iirc) and they won't start a field. Google it.. but check for loose corroded connections, fuses etc.. I had one that needed to be re magnetized though after sitting for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    I have an EW3000 honda generator. Haven't used it in many years, over 10 at least. It has always been in the dry inside. I took the carb off and gave it a thourough cleaning. Fired right up. Thing is, no voltage. It was fine when put away. Anyone have any ideas? Is a puzzle to me.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Quote Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
    Some good stuff there. Will try the drill sequence in the morning. Who would have thought.
    Joemama, Sthrnromr and Tweaker like this.

Yup, generators need something to start the creating of electricity. I've been exposed to this on large hydro generation plants in dams. We get the turbine spinning up, then have to 'excite' the armature windings. Usually with a small motor on top of the turbine attached to the armature with a gear system. Sorta like a motorcycle starting motor. Once the starter motor is spinning from, say push starting, the starter motor itself makes electricity that back feeds to the generator. I better shut up or I'm really going to confuse myself. Ha!!

So here's how to get the genny to make power;

Plug a variable speed drill into the generator and put the drill on low speed. Attach a large wheel to the drill, like a grinding wheel. 3 or 4 inch will do. Fire up the generator with the drill plugged in. pull the trigger on the drill. If the drill doesn't automatically excite the genny, try hand spinning the disc/grinding wheel on the drill (still plugged in and trigger pulled) This should start the genny making power as the drill's motor should produce enough electricity to excite the genny's windings and get the kick start it needs. The reason for a variable speed drill is so when the genny starts making electricity, you don't want to get your fingers or anything caught up in the drill. A slower speed should help with that. If this doesn't work, kick the drill's speed up and try again.

We refer to this in the electric generation business as 'dark starting' a generator. A power house generator can not begin making electricity without this kickstart.

Once you got the genny running like this, I think the magnets will self align the charge on the iron to make them strong enough for self start at a later date.

***EDIT***
    I just read the attached link and I see they too recommend the drill start method. The difference is that they say to spin the drill motor in reverse with the drill in forward. I don't see why. I've used my method successfully so maybe it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Ski Pro 3; 03-07-2019 at 01:59 AM.
    Purple, Sthrnromr and Mel like this.
    The bear slayer!

Lots of folks here have whole home stand by gensets for when ever the pole power goes off. All of these gensets are set to do a test run for 10-15 minutes once every week for exactly the reasons stated above. All motors and generators benefit greatly from and occasional dry run from time to time so just make sure once you do get it back to producing power that you give it a run every now and then just like firing up your TWs during winter storage. Hope the drill procedure works and bring things back to life.

GaryL
    Peterb likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Wow. Using that drill method to recharge is pretty cool.
    Tweaker likes this.

I have an EU6500is which essentially is just a larger version of what you have.
    I start mine once or twice a month. Last year when we lost power for a week after a NorEaster it ran for a week, 24/7 so always good to make sure these not-so-cheap things actually do work.
    Prior, almost 3 weeks after Hurricane Sandy. Mine taps into a Reliance 10 circuit transfer-switch that I had installed after Hurricane Irma (a year before Sandy) even though we didn't lose power that time.

On mine each receptacle has it's own breaker. And each breaker has a fuse. Start there for a blown fuse or corrosion.
    As a side note it's good to run these things under-load sometimes too.

IMG_0588.JPG

You can see the little breakers in this picture.
    IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg
    Last edited by stagewex; 03-07-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links