TW of Snowmobiles?
Close
         
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: TW of Snowmobiles?

  1. #1
    Senior Member msmiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184

    TW of Snowmobiles?

    Been live in Maine for 6 months cold and snow are not that bad actually we are enjoying it! Tried to ride the TW in the snow up here but it didn’t work well. Anybody know if there is a TW snowmobile out there?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fred, jtomelliott49 and Tweaker like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Wrangling the Sierras
    Posts
    18,778
    Admiral and Gerry have run skis on the front for goofy experiments but with limited success with stock tires.
    Those of us with ATV rear tires typically do better in snow, but snow depth and consistency seem to be the deciding factors more than equipment.
    Lowering you stock tire's air pressure can help. While squirrely and unsafe for anything other than first gear crawling speeds I have run as low as 4 psi to climb out of a canyon I had no business descending into.
    Sometimes one can get tricked by changing snow conditions from frosty icy mornings to sun softened afternoons.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

  3. #3
    Senior Member Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Wrangling the Sierras
    Posts
    18,778
    So perhaps better to wait for a little melt-out like in this silly video with my dogs, or instead a deep freeze's crust.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member msmiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    Thank you Fred I looked into front skis and maybe a track but it seem $$$ and not really easy to ride. Was thinking there has to be a snow machine with the reliability and simplicity of a TW don’t need to go fast just get there and back safely


    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Admiral and Gerry have run skis on the front for goofy experiments but with limited success with stock tires.
    Those of us with ATV rear tires typically do better in snow, but snow depth and consistency seem to be the deciding factors more than equipment.
    Lowering you stock tire's air pressure can help. While squirrely and unsafe for anything other than first gear crawling speeds I have run as low as 4 psi to climb out of a canyon I had no business descending into.
    Sometimes one can get tricked by changing snow conditions from frosty icy mornings to sun softened afternoons.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member msmiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    Awesome vid my dogs would love doing that. Thx

  7. #6
    Senior Member Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Wrangling the Sierras
    Posts
    18,778
    Try again with your dogs when snow is a little less intense, they would love to join you on a snowy TW ride.

    One more teaser vid for you dog lovers:
    Will try to find Youtube post of comparison tests and races of under $2,000 snow machines including several 2-wd motorcycles like the big tired Russian Taurus. None of the bikes did nearly as well as sleds in heavy snow but excelled when terrain got technical.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-10-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    msmiller likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

  8. #7
    Senior Member msmiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Try again with your dogs when snow is a little less intense, they would love to join you on a snowy TW ride.

    One more teaser vid for you dog lovers:
    Will try to find Youtube post of comparison tests and races of under $2,000 snow machines including several 2-wd motorcycles like the big tired Russian Taurus. None of the bikes did nearly as well as sleds in heavy snow but excelled when terrain got technical.
    Been starting and running the TW every couple of weeks. Does ok on pavement but I’m not going more the 25 mph. After the snowmobiles had packed down the snow I tried the trail with the TW on it. Took two hours to go two miles. Stock tires and was letting out air trying to get traction. When I hit a snow cover pond it threw me to the ground wasn’t a second to react just bam. Luckily was not going fast. That’s when I decided to stop thinking how can I do this on the TW (quit trying to reinvent the wheel) and get a machine meant for snow.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fred likes this.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Wrangling the Sierras
    Posts
    18,778
    Maybe try snow shoes for a cardio work out so you'll be in good shape for the TW when eventually spring arrives. That will also give your dogs a chance to step on your snowshoe tails and send you sprawling, they do seem to like doing that.
    msmiller, Dryden-Tdub and Purple like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

  10. #9
    Senior Member msmiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Maybe try snow shoes for a cardio work out so you'll be in good shape for the TW when eventually spring arrives. That will also give your dogs a chance to step on your snowshoe tails and send you sprawling, they do seem to like doing that.
    Funny you should say that. My work up here so far is part time walking dogs. I can tell you for me it makes me feel alive to be out in the weather


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Member stevegpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Western Maine
    Posts
    31
    msmiller, where in Maine are you? I'm in the Sugarloaf area north of Farmington and Kingfield.
    Miaugi and msmiller like this.
    2009 TW200 / 2013 CB500X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ford snowmobiles, "A Better Idea"
    By Fred in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM
  2. Yamaha Snowmobiles
    By SHAG in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 05:11 PM