Where do you stand on Global Warming? - Page 5
Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Where do you stand on Global Warming?

I won't characterize other peoples opinions and motives...simply offer mine....that was the question of the thread...." Where do you stand....." this is where I stand

I only mention my occupation/academic background as context to explain the prism that I use see the world ….I am no expert on climate....but I trust the experts that are......
    Last edited by bartruff; 06-11-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    Fred and troll like this.

The debate about negative affects of mankind on the planet has been ongoing since before I was a child. Imminent planetary nuclear holocaust, population explosion, energy crisis, ocean ecology, pollution, genocide, sustainability, resource depletion, and now climate change have all dominated the western world consciousness at times. This logically triggers discussions of "We must do something!".
    Problem is if we Americans can try to do our part, abandon the benefits & liabilities of the Industrial Revolution and live sustainably how do we convince the rest of the world to follow our sacrifice?
    Last edited by Fred; 06-11-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I may or may not believe in global warming.

But, I do believe that we should take care not to pollute unnecessarily, and we should do what we can to use solar, wind and water power when it is feasible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think about it like this: A meteor could crash into the earth at any moment. The earth has been through WAY WAY worse crap than we could ever do. The earth will be here long after we humans have vanished and some other creature has evolved. We should do what we can to have a good time... while we can. Don't deliberately do harm to fellow creatures. Ride a TW that runs on organic hydro carbons until the meteor gets here.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

If we got rid of gangs, and dope fiends that would cut down on part of the problem. What do you think 10percent of the population would be a good start.

Ken
    I don't believe in global warming but I do believe in climate change. If everywhere was getting warmer why are we getting colder weather in many areas? We dropped a plant heartiness zone in Houston this year (colder now) from a 10 years ago to a 9A now and estimated to soon be at zone 8. If an asteroid hits the earth it will send up possible dust blocking sunlight and it will get colder. If Yellowstone blows and throws up debris it will get colder. Yes the poles are melting but other areas are getting colder, climate change.

It's always gonna change. Always has.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Quote Originally Posted by Apolloha View Post
    I think about it like this: A meteor could crash into the earth at any moment. The earth has been through WAY WAY worse crap than we could ever do. The earth will be here long after we humans have vanished and some other creature has evolved. We should do what we can to have a good time... while we can. Don't deliberately do harm to fellow creatures. Ride a TW that runs on organic hydro carbons until the meteor gets here.
    I have stood back waiting for someone to bring up the "Doomsday Scenario". There are a vast number of Catastrophic events that could happen at any time and put an end to all of these types of discussions. What Smitty said in post 43 is about the most I can fully agree with from all the other posts including my own. I live in a rather pristine part of New York state that has a lot of natural beauty all around me yet I see idiots come to enjoy these great places and leave garbage and pollution in their wakes. Wish they would all bring their mothers along to pick up after them but that's never going to stop it. I do like wind, hydro and solar power but we must remember that for every action there remains and equal and opposite reaction. Dependable energy is the necessity of life and without clean water and air we will all be dead much sooner than later. Just do your best while you are here for the short time we each get and don't worry to much about what comes after you. It could all end in a flash today. Don't believe for one minute that any of the so called Scientists know any of the answers because scientific experiments have proven numerous times to be failures. I am not saying don't try, just don't get your panties in a wad over any of this. None of us are willing to go back in time to live off the grid with nothing but hardships and hard work and if we were we damn sure would not be discussing any of this stuff from our computers and devices.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The Luddites are developing a machine to stop science and destroy advances in technology....

I doubt we are entering another Dark Age. I suspect that current technology will be replaced by better technology ….more efficient.....more productive....more precise … more dependable..... more intuitive....more affordable ….less damaging to the environment ….
    Last edited by bartruff; 06-12-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    troll and Ken like this.

Self driving "Autonomous" vehicles IMO are a complete waste of time and effort. If that makes me a "Luddite" then I will wear it proudly.

GaryL
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Sponosred Links