"On The Road" USA Route 66 - June 2019 - Road Trips Quips
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: "On The Road" USA Route 66 - June 2019 - Road Trips Quips

"On The Road" USA Route 66 - June 2019 - Road Trips Quips

I always enjoy a spring or summer road trip along Americas Route 66 and this week is a great example ! I'm delivering an enclosed Featherlite trailer from central Arizona to central Pennsylvania "Hollsopple"

I spent a night in Chateau de Walmarte in Sloan Springs Arkansas where I tossed and turned in 80 degrees but dripping humidity I don't know how you folks live in those areas although NW Arkansas was beautiful

Gas in Sloan Springs was $2.11 for regular which is the lowest I've seen on this trip

I'm 160 miles from my delivery in PA today then I'll be rolling back to AZ and picking up a small Featherlite trailer in NW Arkansas which the gent only would sell in a package with a 2001 EZGO electric golf cart which is a very nice indoor kept and fully loaded golfing cart with side curtains etc

I will sell the cart fast back home in AZ people fight over buying them but if I could avoid having to haul it 1000 miles from NW Arkansas to Arizona I'd love to sell it and just tow my empty trailer

My trailer needs a new set of tires if I'm going to haul the cart but w/o the cart I think it would make it home and I can get a much better deal on new tires given some time to shop

I'll post the 2001 EZGO in the classifieds shortly asking $1995 but it's a fast sale at $2500 back home in AZ where I live

batteries all new in 2015 includes a 36 volt charger and it has barely been used and always stiored in a heated garage
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 06-22-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

I don't need a golf cart but I must question your decision regarding the current tires on your trailer. I have had trailer tire blowouts on interstate highways twice now and it is a horrible experience. One such blowout actually ripped the fender right off my trailer before I realized I had a problem. Chancing such a drive on known questionable tires either with or without a load just so you can save a few $$ when/if you make it home makes no sense to me. I was on I-95 and the drivers side trailer tire blew. Changing the spare on the interstate with cars and truck wizzing past me at 70-80 MPH was the most dangerous thing I think I have ever done. My trailer and the tires were all new and in great shape but I hit some junk on the road and it punctured the tire. You could never get me on a major highway with trailer tires not up to snuff for any dollar amount. Be safe Fred, I am going for new trailer tires today and both have plenty of tread on them but are weather checked and showing signs of age cracking so they are junk IMO and I doubt the tires have more than 500 miles on them yet they sit around on grass and wet pavement baking in the sun or freezing in the snow 340 days every year. Dragging my boat from Lake Ontario back to home I hit a pothole and broke the leaf spring on the trailer which caused the tire to get nearly ripped right off. It cost me $175 for the flatbed tow and another $250 for the repair and new wheel and tire not to mention the 8 additional hours on the road for a 4 hour trip.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Nice looking Golf Cart. I'm not quite there yet, HaHa.
    I guess my friend who was interested in one of your BW's never got in touch?

Safe Travels.
    Last edited by stagewex; 06-24-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    PlacerLode likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I don't need a golf cart but I must question your decision regarding the current tires on your trailer.

GaryL
    I am going to put new tires on it as soon as I pick it up my concern was simply getting from where I PU the trailer to the tire store and if it was just the Featherlite (brand) trailer empty the tires can actually be run flat with no problem as long as the beads are seated. I've bought dozens of small Featherlite ATV trailers and drove one home 400 miles from Bakersfield only to fiind the tires had zero air pressure and it drove fine lol

I've had lots of trailer and tow rig blowouts over the years most causing damage of varying degrees (including brand new high end name brand tires)

I probably average 75000 towing miles a year for decades now and when I go to buy any weight carrying trailer I order new tires and carry them with me to the new trailer having them installed at the nearest tire shop

The issue here is a battery powered golf cart is a heavy item so I am worried about the tires even though they have to weather checking and have been stored indoors I replace my trailer tires at 3 years even if they look new

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Nice looking Gold Cart. I'm not quote there yet, HaHa.
    I guess my friend who was interest in one of your BW's never got in touch?

Safe Travels.
    nothing yet but if I get a call from a strange number and they don't leave a VM I block them lol

I don't think anybody has called the number I gave you though

Hidden Content

EV for EV swap? I just picked up a brand new mobility scooter at an estate sale, retail on it was about $2k. Guy got it and died before he was able to use it. I was going to tear it down and use the motor/batteries/etc... on a small electric motorcycle, but it's really too nice to mess up and I don't plan on needing it any time soon. Could use a golf cart for trips around the neighborhood.
    PlacerLode likes this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    EV for EV swap? I just picked up a brand new mobility scooter at an estate sale, retail on it was about $2k. Guy got it and died before he was able to use it. I was going to tear it down and use the motor/batteries/etc... on a small electric motorcycle, but it's really too nice to mess up and I don't plan on needing it any time soon. Could use a golf cart for trips around the neighborhood.
    I appreciate the offer but back home in AZ I already have people clamoring to see it in real life the damn things are crazy popular there for some reason. I have a gal offering a deposit that more than covers my new tires and gas (er oil) to get home so I will likely take that offer when I arrive back at the carts location Tuesday AM

I'd still prefer to take $500 less and sell it where it sits in Belle Vista Arkansas that way I can buy a TW on the way home to "weight it down" and make sure the trailer doesn't float away when parked lol

Thanks again for the offer regardless!

Hidden Content

If I was still young and strong I'd load the cart and take the trailer apart and stuff it all in the back of my truck and not have to tow anything''Oh to be young again lol

I remember traveling to remote wrecking yards to buy rare MOPAR parts and I'l fill my interior with doors and fenders etc making my girlfriend sit in the back seat on the way home needless to say she made me choose between MOPAR's and her guess who won ?

yes She won lol she went a got a normal boyfriend lmao

Hidden Content

Mopar you say?

I happen to be rather fond of those, I putter around in this old clunker on occasion:
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

One of my buddies was the MOPAR king. Back in the early 1970s he bought every 426 Hemi he could find plus a few 440 and 340s. Think he had close to 20 engines at one point and has retired on the profits from them. Plymouth Fury's used by the state police on the NY Thruway had Hemi and 440 engines and he went to all the auctions after them, even the wrecked ones.

GaryL
    Sthrnromr and Hoot Gibson like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links