Bad Motorcycle accident. 7 marines killed
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Bad Motorcycle accident. 7 marines killed

Unhappy Bad Motorcycle accident. 7 marines killed

This is really sad...

Makes me wonder if they were riding 2 abreast and too close. I was taught never to ride 2 abreast and never too close... 3 count rule at least.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/22/73502...p-leaving-7-de

Jim
    T-Dub Ken likes this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

OSHAWA, ONTARIO, FASCISTVILLE (I MEAN CANADA).
    God bless them all, and may they rest in peace.

Yeah riding in formation may look cool but isn't the smartest thing to do.
    jtstdub, T-Dub Ken and Darth like this.
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Yeah riding in formation may look cool but isn't the smartest thing to do.
    Dang rights!

Haw, noticed you have a NC700x... Son has one even 2014! Great cycle. Fixed up for dual sport... We towed it up to AK in 2014 and he flew up, met us and he did over 2,000 more miles than we did with our Truck n Camper....All nasty mud n dirt... All the way to Prudhoe Bay. He did the Conol Rd to Ross River, then the Robert Campbell Hwy to Watson lake... <>400 miles.

If interested here is a blog. Go to Archive and go to the beginning. You will love it:

https://northtoalaska2014.tumblr.com

Jim
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

It's terrible, just terrible.
    The vulnerability of riding a motorcycle vs. something coming at you in your own lane, and it doesn't matter in formation or not.
    I rode into work today (Manhattan/NYC) which I seldom do on a commuting day no less a Monday morning. This accident was surely on my mind.
    So sad.
    Last edited by stagewex; 06-24-2019 at 08:39 AM.
    Ken likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

I didn't read where they were riding abreast. It's fairly hilly so if the truck had any speed, it could have run through a staggered formation just as easily. However, my spidey sense is tinglin like there is more to this story. Not sure what rumble strips would have done, they aren't down the center line.

Sounds suspicious. I read the original article. I'm always keen on accidents and have lots of questions to determine if something could have been prevented.
    In this case, all Harley's? I have ridden Harley's for years and with many groups. I choose not to ride in groups because of the guys who come along in those rides.
    Never ride in a poker run, beer and riding does not mix. But many HD riders refuse to take a MSF or other safety course, they know it all and that makes them more
    than dangerous. I'm on a BMW R1200 GS Adventure now and I ride alone. Even older BMW guys don't ride safe enough for me.
    jtstdub and Darth like this.
    T-Dub Ken

Current bikes:

Yamaha TW200 2013
    Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 2015
    Moto Guzzi V7 Stone 2015

Lives in St. Joseph, IL
    Friend of God
    Leader of Men
    Lover of all
    Pretty good motorcycle rider
    Doesn't brag too much
    Smiles and laughs a lot
    Loves dogs and cats too

We’ve had two fatals so far this year (cars), where someone simply hasn’t taken the bend (for unknown reasons), resulting in a head on

There’s little you can do about it, other than to drive a tank

Single file – abreast – it all comes down to circumstances and timing (assuming the car and trailer was on the wrong side of the road)

However you look at, it’s an absolute tragedy for all involved …..
    Ken likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dub Ken View Post
    Sounds suspicious. I read the original article. I'm always keen on accidents and have lots of questions to determine if something could have been prevented.
    In this case, all Harley's? I have ridden Harley's for years and with many groups. I choose not to ride in groups because of the guys who come along in those rides.
    Never ride in a poker run, beer and riding does not mix. But many HD riders refuse to take a MSF or other safety course, they know it all and that makes them more
    than dangerous. I'm on a BMW R1200 GS Adventure now and I ride alone. Even older BMW guys don't ride safe enough for me.
    Haw agree about the MSF... Amazing to ask those riders that have not taken the course certain questions... Even the big one about counter steer. They will even argue with you.

I too am not a fan of road group riding. Dirt/trail is ok.

If you look at the layout of the cycles it is apparent that it was 2 abreast and traveling very close together. 6 cycles down in about 100ft. Oh well we will never learn the details of the accident.

A bit more... The Truck driver has been arrested.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...-crash-arrest/
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links