Time to say Good-Bye
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gerry
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By assquatch20

Thread: Time to say Good-Bye

Time to say Good-Bye

Had the feeling for more than a few years that the free exchange of time, talent within the format of a forum was going to morph into something very different. Was never one to expect something for nothing and always made an effort to give as much if not more, than i got. Am sure that a few of us have gone way beyond what is generally known, to build this forum, so i won't tell my story in any detail. Of late, there has been real resistance to allowing access to websites if you have an active ad blocker. Something for nothing is not generally a workable concept. But up until recently the modest cost (?) incurred by those that were willing to host a venue offering an 'on your honor' exchange of information seems lost. Made an attempt to visit two forums recently. Both are restarts of forums that faded away but still had the potential to offer value with a contributing membership. Now we need to make a buck before anything is provided. It is unlikely that major contributors, those that give forums real value are given any compensation on this, or any other forum. This forum has, and had a number of major contributors, this is what attracts members. Seems now, forum owners need/want to sell ad space to those visiting the forums that others worked hard to build. Yes, i understand if no one pays-for and builds a venue, then my point is moot. Don't understand how it was managed before, but very much lament the loss of the 'free' exchange of knowledge. Am gratified to find some of my pictures and ideas floating around cyber space and presented in languages i can not read. My Photo Bucket account is still 'held' for ransom. Likely they have gleaned some compensation from selling a few of the many hundreds of pictures, all of which i always tagged "public". Well, will end my rant. My feathers have been ruffled by reading such messages as 'we see you have an ad-blocker, why don't you start your own forum'. Another suggested i White page the site or pay to join. No suggestion that i could be a welcomed guest as i 'appeared at the door' but would be asked to do one or the other in a follow-up visit. With all of this being said, i would request a forum administrator PM me the process of formally unjoining this forum. I do not do this in protest as this site has never commented on my use of ad-blocking software. In reality, i no longer contribute, my TW had been sold some years ago. Seems all questions from my old posts have been answered. Visits are an attempt to live in the past. If you are so inclined provide an e-mail and i will try to stay in touch. Take care. Gerry
    Mel likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

I don't really understand what happened. I must have an add blocker. I never see any ads when I visit. Never got any messages about it. If I do, gone in a flash.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Hi Gerry,

I, for one, would really hate to see you leave this forum permanently!

Since this is the only forum that I participate in, I have not experienced the problems that you have described. I use Ad Blocker Plus and it works well for me.

Brian
    Last edited by TW-Brian; Yesterday at 07:46 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    reddave likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Had the feeling for more than a few years that the free exchange of time, talent within the format of a forum was going to morph into something very different. Was never one to expect something for nothing and always made an effort to give as much if not more, than i got. Am sure that a few of us have gone way beyond what is generally known, to build this forum, so i won't tell my story in any detail. Of late, there has been real resistance to allowing access to websites if you have an active ad blocker. Something for nothing is not generally a workable concept. But up until recently the modest cost (?) incurred by those that were willing to host a venue offering an 'on your honor' exchange of information seems lost. Made an attempt to visit two forums recently. Both are restarts of forums that faded away but still had the potential to offer value with a contributing membership. Now we need to make a buck before anything is provided. It is unlikely that major contributors, those that give forums real value are given any compensation on this, or any other forum. This forum has, and had a number of major contributors, this is what attracts members. Seems now, forum owners need/want to sell ad space to those visiting the forums that others worked hard to build. Yes, i understand if no one pays-for and builds a venue, then my point is moot. Don't understand how it was managed before, but very much lament the loss of the 'free' exchange of knowledge. Am gratified to find some of my pictures and ideas floating around cyber space and presented in languages i can not read. My Photo Bucket account is still 'held' for ransom. Likely they have gleaned some compensation from selling a few of the many hundreds of pictures, all of which i always tagged "public". Well, will end my rant. My feathers have been ruffled by reading such messages as 'we see you have an ad-blocker, why don't you start your own forum'. Another suggested i White page the site or pay to join. No suggestion that i could be a welcomed guest as i 'appeared at the door' but would be asked to do one or the other in a follow-up visit. With all of this being said, i would request a forum administrator PM me the process of formally unjoining this forum. I do not do this in protest as this site has never commented on my use of ad-blocking software. In reality, i no longer contribute, my TW had been sold some years ago. Seems all questions from my old posts have been answered. Visits are an attempt to live in the past. If you are so inclined provide an e-mail and i will try to stay in touch. Take care. Gerry
    Use Chrome browser with uBlock Origin extension manually added. Message should go away as if by magic ... try it.
    2006 TW200 CA version

Though we don't really know each other, I have highly valued your input through the past 10 years or so of me being a member here. Your bike is a true inspiration. You'd even think Yamaha took your oil cooler and fan ideas for their Ryoku concept bike. I know you don't own it anymore, but it's your creation and it's a mighty good one from what I've read. If you really gotta go, I wish you the very best, Gerry.
    grewen likes this.

sorry to see you go Gerry, take care! i have enjoyed all your contributions here
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Seems there might be a bit of a misunderstanding. This TW forum has never suggested that my Ad Blocking software was unwelcome due to its' potential impact on sale of ad space. Recently due to some malware it was necessary to uninstall Google Chrome. Upon reload, it seemed to be a whole new world. With the reload of Google/Chrome, i had to also reinstall AdBlocker as that extension was lost with the uninstall. My thought is that some major changes have been recently made to some software formats. Have tried two major ad blockers and the newest iteration of AdBlocker, the 'you pay what you want' version. This had always worked great for me. All seemed to have what was generally termed 'managed ad presentation' (my words). YouTube is now chock full of ads or blank screens while ads are held at bay. I have not watched commercial TV for years. Gladly pay for Netflix, Amazon viewing, PBS and Pandora. In my world now, it seems cyberspace has become very commercial. Seems as though knowledge is now held in private vaults and you frequently need to pay or join to access. Now these thoughts may be mine alone, but in the past i could easily source and print a wiring diagram for making a flasher module for your rear brake light (out of the hat example). Yes, nice affordable units are readily available but sometimes you like to make your own stuff, like a dual sprocket drive. More and more it seems it some commercial diversion is placed in your path. Again, my rant. This forum has always been fair and friendly. Though i resent 'freeloaders' it is sad to see so much commercialization moving onto the internet.
    Take care my Friend.........

I go through this garbage every day. I use Bing as my homepage/search engine and at the bottom there are various news stories I can click on to read. When I click on one I have to click again to read the story from one of the many news outlets that carry it. This is where I get the messages that I must turn off my adblocker to see the story. Screw them, I won't turn off my adblocker for any reason and I won't subscribe to any entity just to read some BS story with that outlets slant. If it is not free to read from your site then I don't care about it and just move on. My local rag newspaper is online but I can only view the front page and can't read anything else unless I subscribe to the online news at some ridiculous price. If I have the paper delivered to my house as a paid subscription I still can't read the paper online unless I pay the additional online price. They have lost both print and online subscribers and it will soon go belly up and this is more to do with their liberal slant and fake news reporting.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I dont get ads, or intrusive ads on my phone when site is in mobile mode.

AdBlock Plus can be configured so that do don't get any ads at all.(Hve never tried AdBlocker)
    AdBlock Plus for Chrome
    AdBlock Plus for Firefox
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Sponosred Links