Do You Feed Wildlife? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Do You Feed Wildlife?

Sometimes I toss one of the timber rattlers a mouse on my way to the truck before work. Later in the day when I get home, I'll generally hand a rib eye to the black bear and drag whatever got killed on the highway into the yard for the turkey buzzards or crows (one of them I've named Poe). When he shows up (which is rare) I toss a rabbit in the yard for the coyote to chase. I don't want him getting lazy. The deer and songbirds help themselves to my small orchard of apple, pears, cherries and blueberries anyway, but I figure in a way, I get paid back for that one come fall. (seriously though, we do have close encounters with almost all of these mostly because of my fruit trees and we're up against state forest land) What is harder is not intervening when you see the harsher side of nature happening at times. Like earlier this year when a goshawk got the first red tanager family we've ever had in one of our trees. Nature is beautiful and it is brutal.

Oh yeah - this was the first year our plum trees started producing. That stuff must be like crack for deer. We had a herd out there a couple nights and some standoffs between them over who they belonged to. I let them have their fun for a few nights before I had to put up a fencer around them so we would at least get SOMETHING off it. I've never seen them get that way over apples or pears before. LOL.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 08-06-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/u...rcubs_DENA.mp3

If you hear something like this in your yard, please throw a large rib eye out to him. Don't pay any attention to him if he looks similar to littletommy, just give him the steak...

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan75 View Post
    Sometimes I toss one of the timber rattlers a mouse on my way to the truck before work. Later in the day when I get home, I'll generally hand a rib eye to the black bear and drag whatever got killed on the highway into the yard for the turkey buzzards or crows (one of them I've named Poe). When he shows up (which is rare) I toss a rabbit in the yard for the coyote to chase. I don't want him getting lazy. The deer and songbirds help themselves to my small orchard of apple, pears, cherries and blueberries anyway, but I figure in a way, I get paid back for that one come fall. (seriously though, we do have close encounters with almost all of these mostly because of my fruit trees and we're up against state forest land) What is harder is not intervening when you see the harsher side of nature happening at times. Like earlier this year when a goshawk got the first red tanager family we've ever had in one of our trees. Nature is beautiful and it is brutal.

Oh yeah - this was the first year our plum trees started producing. That stuff must be like crack for deer. We had a herd out there a couple nights and some standoffs between them over who they belonged to. I let them have their fun for a few nights before I had to put up a fencer around them so we would at least get SOMETHING off it. I've never seen them get that way over apples or pears before. LOL.
    MtnMan75, Fred and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Birds and Squirrels in my Back Yard...but of course they then have to battle for their lives against the Back Yard Cats...

It's a Cold Cruel World Out There...Cardinal Crowd Resize (1).JPG DSC_0061.jpg
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What, no more excellent pictures or videos of your furry and feathered dependents?

Here are a few shots of what shows up to feed on what I feed: cougar cropped.jpgbear in tree.jpgbig fox.jpgbobcat.jpgbear front view.jpgcougar 1 day.jpg
    cougar kittens.jpg

Sometimes the hungry arrive and depart by air.bird in snow.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 08-06-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sometimes the mice just chew up whatever they find hanging around.Attachment 196196

This is better than the mouse nest I had to evict from under the hood of a truck yesterday.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-06-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Last year at work I was letting " Stinker" the raccoon out of a trash can. Guess he was a little miffed and bit my finger. Twelve rabies shots later I was good to go.
    Fred and jtomelliott49 like this.

This Guy has been coming around for a dozen or so years (in the Winter and early Spring}...or at least the same Breed, Marsh or Cooper's Hawk, does his own feeding, usually on a straying sparrow as you can see in photo #1...so far he has been shut out on #2 only because they don't hang around me or my place very often

DSC02593 (2).JPG Hawk Enforcer 2.jpg
    Fred and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    This Guy has been coming around for a dozen or so years (in the Winter and early Spring}...or at least the same Breed, Marsh or Cooper's Hawk, does his own feeding, usually on a straying sparrow as you can see in photo #1...so far he has been shut out on #2 only because they don't hang around me or my place very often

DSC02593 (2).JPG Hawk Enforcer 2.jpg
    Either that or they don't taste very good.
    Hoot Gibson and jtomelliott49 like this.

Today’s Honey Do List included protecting some fruit from the birds and squirrels in hope of harvesting enough for at least one apple and peach pie.

Something tells me I’m just making sack lunches for the bears though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Odd that you can feed all the birds you can afford, feed a deer, bear, or eagle and you are in for a fine at the minimum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links