Do You Feed Wildlife? - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Do You Feed Wildlife?

Hmmm.Lets see... I've feed screech,barded and great horned owls along with redtail,sparrow hawks along with bald,golden eagles and last but not least black headed vultures.
    Guess I'm in a lot of trouble! Whoops...Forgot I had them all in my workshop too! They even spent the night there.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Well, the squirrels have given up on breaking into the bagged peaches and apples since the fruit inside was the same as uncovered neighboring branches, just harder to get to.
    However night before last something agreed with me that the cherries were just about ripe and a whole tree-full seemed to have been harvested within a day. I got one bowl of cherries but birds and squirrels got almost all the remainder. They are/were very sweet this year.
    The plum and apricot trees are traditionally the next victims. Deer are nightly pruning all of them as high as they can reach. Ground squirrels do their imitation of tree squirrels and harvest the upper branches.
    Real damage occurs when bears occasionally come by for the peaches. Branches heavy with fruit droop down within reach which the bears grab and break off 10 feet or more at a time. They have turned 20 foot heathy trees into damaged denuded stumps as short as 7 feet.
    Oh well, only fair that nature's bounty gets harvested by nature now and then.
    Hoot Gibson and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

When a small boy I watched birds flopping around under my aunt's cherry tree. Asking her what was wrong with them she replied. Their Drunk! The fruit on the ground had fermented. Kind of sad watching them try to fly but the cat's enjoyed it. Wonder if they got drunk too?
    jtomelliott49 and NVcowboy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When I was a wee lad of about 9, I captured me a wild timber tiger in a box of Cap'n Crunch. Squirrell!! They do loves them some Cap'n.
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

I feed the hummingbirds when they are in town. I will also feed the songbirds that over-winter, but only when snow is on the ground.
    Short time livin'...
    '89 TW200

Does serving trays in jail qualify?
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

I feed birds and bunnies. the bunnies are collateral. The hawks and eagles come around now and then checking things out. I can tell when they are around, the birds are in hiding.

Lot of other critters are nearby, but I have a 6 ft board fence around the cabin yard, so its mainly birds and bunnies at the feed.

Once saw an eagle kill a rabbit out in the sagebrush behind the house. That was pretty interesting.

IMG_2607-A.jpg
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-14-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    TW-curious

Current dirt road and all purpose bike 84 FXSB

~"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt.~

Last night was no exception to observation that the full moon often brings out the hungry visitors. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_267f.jpg

Cornered a bobcat kitten by the humminbird feeders at dawn & next to a pond with big tasty tadpoles a while back.
    While squirrels got the fruit a few weeks ago today a buck with felted antlers was munching the remaining strawberry leaves.
    Malamute, Purple and Mel like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Leave you dumpsters unsecured and you can grow some pretty big black bears like "T-Shirt" here. He is a local troublemaking dumpster diver with a long rap sheet, just ask the Deputies. Apologies for the commercial.
    Curious bear crawls out of dumpster after in depth investigation

https://www.latimes.com › california
    Last edited by Fred; 11-07-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

We feed the squirrels. They are territorial and limit their numbers so feeding them just keeps them out of trouble....and aging well.
    squirrel.jpg
    Fred and admiral like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponosred Links