Alaska - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    Yes the moose are scary....my sister lives on Ragged Mountain in N.H. and one time when I was leaving she told me to "watch out for the moose just up the street on the left". Sure enough about 50 yards out of her driveway there were about 20 of them in a field just out of the woods near the road!
    Being moose are solitary to see twenty of them in one place is incredible. I would have to take a second look thinking they were elk.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    Being moose are solitary to see twenty of them in one place is incredible. I would have to take a second look thinking they were elk.
    My thoughts also Plum. In one section where they did a clear cut going from Greenville to Rockwood Maine we did see 14 Moose in less than a half mile of travel but only 4 of them were close to each other Cows and calves. All the others were a good 100++ yards apart and only two with small head gear.

GaryL
    plumbstraight likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    My thoughts also Plum. In one section where they did a clear cut going from Greenville to Rockwood Maine we did see 14 Moose in less than a half mile of travel but only 4 of them were close to each other Cows and calves. All the others were a good 100++ yards apart and only two with small head gear.

GaryL
    I would imagine a clearcut with a lot of new browse for them is a great draw for feeding.
    GaryL likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If many a goose is geese, does that mean many a moose is meese?
    Purple likes this.

My brother and I were driving back to Anchorage from Whittier in summer 2001 when we slowed to watch an Alaska state trooper try to rescue a moose that he thought was stuck in a bog by the highway around Turnagain. He stepped into the water and immediately disappeared over his head. The moose chewed his grass and casually walked out and on his merry way.
    Fred and UncleRandy like this.
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

I love Alaska, for motorcycling your season is short mid-june to mid-august but the endless daylight, lack of traffic and natural beauty makes it the best place to ride. I have taken my KLR650 down every highway in the state. My favorite of course is deadhorse. The 500 mile ride from Fairbanks to Deadhorse is absolutely amazing. I would encourage any rider who wants to do it, to do it. Has anyone ridden a TW200 up the dalton? I am probably the only numbskull on here who managed to get a speeding ticket north of the Arctic circle on my KLR650. Maybe if took the TW200 I won't get pulled over again. The speed limit on the whole highway is 50mph.
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

Wow! That's a ticket worth framing. Traffic regularly exceeds 65 mph on the Dalton-especially in the early spring when the ground is frozen and the road is flat! It's the best time to be a truck driver in Alaska. I have been passed at 60 mph by truckers on the Dalton hauling dual tankers, south of Deadhorse. I guess they must get excited about the 5 Star accommodations!
    plumbstraight likes this.

Used to do the run from Anchorage to Cantwell each night. I would stop in sunshine to grab a treat and take a break. Three were two rigs that would pass me each night. They were there when I pulled in and I waited for them to leave before me. Not far up the highway they were pulled over. One had hit a nice bull moose and tore the front end off the truck. That should slow them down a bit. I worked for Carlile a couple different times when operating heavy equip was slow. Loved the scenery and the wildlife I would see on the many trips. Seeing Denali at midnight with the top glowing red from the midnight sun was a real treat as not everyday or night as it makes it's own weather. Just something about that country that becomes a part of you that wants you to go back.
    bartruff, GaryL and UncleRandy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    There are no Elk in New Hampshire that I am aware of. I have seen lots of Moose in NH and Vermont.
    GaryL likes this.
    "Life Member NRA"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links