Alaska
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Alaska

Alaska

Alaska
    Had a good time as usual up there. canned up a dozen cases of smoked salmon, took care of some business and headed home. Saw 22 black bears on the way home and almost hit one that was over 400lb. He was as tall as the hood on my exterra. Had the brakes planted hard and was still moving forward when he went by my rig missing him by only a few feet. I came upon a cub that had just been hit, the mother and sibling was still there. I turned around so I could put myself between the mother and dead cub. Picked it up and checked for a heartbeat as there was no sign of blood. Was hoping it was just knocked out. If it had had a heart beat I would have given it a few puffs to try to bring it back. Sad to see a baby anything killed. Will download some pics, thought I had but could not find them, will try again.

IMG_0148.jpgOK hope this works Still having issues bringing up so many others, moose and scenery. Standing by a remote dock at a rest area and watching trout rolling, wished that I had a flyrod with me.
    SanDue, UncleRandy, Donzo and 2 others like this.

Spotted her with a calf. Fun to watch her feeding off the bottom of the pond.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    grewen, UncleRandy, Darth and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Alaska is indeed the great land....I have made several trips..... on the Alaska Marine ferries from Prince Rupert.....up the Alaska Highway.....but my favorite is the Cassiar now that it is paved....

I go in a variety of RVs and use dispersed sites as I have no need for campgrounds and you can fill and dump your holding tanks for free when you get gas...the guide books and signs say you have to stay in a campground in Canada....but a Mountie told us that is BS and we have never been hasselled and there are hundreds if not thousands of dispersed sites mostly along a river or a lake...when you hear a Loon call or a Wolf howl you know you are in a wild place...

I take the TW to explore the backcountry roads and trails....
    Last edited by bartruff; 08-07-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Plumbstraight, you are a good man.
    How we treat animals - wild or domestic - is a great measure of character.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Hey Randall, we just got back late Monday night from a month up North. Took the Alcan up and the Cassiar back. Saw 15 bears on the Cassiar and one roadkill but it was an adult. Have about 40# of Kenai Red Salmon in the freezer. The trip of a lifetime. The Alcan beat us up with really rough roads and tons of construction. Cassiar was smooth but narrow and windy. We came home to 103 temps and are now melting

Quote Originally Posted by Appleguy View Post
    Hey Randall, we just got back late Monday night from a month up North. Took the Alcan up and the Cassiar back. Saw 15 bears on the Cassiar and one roadkill but it was an adult. Have about 40# of Kenai Red Salmon in the freezer. The trip of a lifetime. The Alcan beat us up with really rough roads and tons of construction. Cassiar was smooth but narrow and windy. We came home to 103 temps and are now melting
    Yes the cassier was where I saw all the bears. At one time within a half mile I saw 5, mothers with cubs and a boar. It is narrow and not cleaned back like the Alcan so wildlife can be just a few feet off the roadside and not be seen. A person has to be alert to something jumping in front of you. I wouldn't care to drive it at night. That long stretch where there is an Elk warning through the Yukon, I was coming down at night. Saw a couple eyes reflecting and hit the brakes. As I eased up I could see ears and it was an elk. There was one standing in the road so glad I slowed. As no one was coming and I could see for a mile each way I pulled up and back around fanning the area. Oh my, must have been a hundred of them, beady eyes looking at mee all over, was hauntingly eerie, but sure something to remember. could not see the bodies, just the eyes.
    GaryL, Darth and grewen like this.

The ones that scare me most are Moose at night. We go to Maine and the northern reaches. You simply can't see them at night and as tall as they are they end up in your lap and through the windshield if you hit them square. The fire and rescue squad up in Rangely had a car on display that hit a Moose at 60 MPH. Not sure if anyone died but hard to believe they could have lived. We drove slow right past one that was trotting down the road ahead of us in our F-250 and his head was above the top of our truck and his body was about eye level.

GaryL
    plumbstraight and Hoot Gibson like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Yes the moose are scary....my sister lives on Ragged Mountain in N.H. and one time when I was leaving she told me to "watch out for the moose just up the street on the left". Sure enough about 50 yards out of her driveway there were about 20 of them in a field just out of the woods near the road!
    plumbstraight and Hoot Gibson like this.
    "Life Member NRA"

Bright lighting to double the output of OEM headlights sure helps in rural nightime driving where there is a risk of encountering wildlife.
    I typically run mine with an arming switch tied into the high beam circuit which is then triggered with the OEM hi-beam switch.
    Of course with a doubled output one practice double diligence in dimming lights for oncoming traffic.
    While usually illegal used with proper diligence one may never have to explain those lights to an officer of the law.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links