Off Topic completely! Who is the digital geek who can advise this analog guy?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Off Topic completely! Who is the digital geek who can advise this analog guy?

Off Topic completely! Who is the digital geek who can advise this analog guy?

Here is the deal. I am old and not too computer tech savvy. I have been a long time Stereophile and love my high end equipment here at home. Not talking about my vast 33 1/3 LP vinyl album collections but about my vast collection of the CDs I have with all of our favorite music on them. Both vehicles have the premium JBL sound systems in them and USB connections to plug in portable devices such as IPads and MP3 players. The sound is great from the tiny little MP3 and Ipod players we have so here is the questions.
    What are the very best of these portable gadgets that can be loaded with all my CDs, probably over 200 full albums and I really do not want anything to do with Apple Itunes or my Iphone as the storage device. Just what I think are MP3 players with lots of memory and that can store and play my tunes without too much music fidelity degradation. I would prefer to stay away from Bluetooth stuff to, just a device that plugs direct into the onboard USB that goes through the audio system in the cars.
    I plan to pay some geek type kid to do all this transfer stuff and get the unit set up so instead of dragging 200 CDs in the car for road trips it will all pop up on the screen in the cars and be on a small portable device. I have FM and XM but I just want my music when I want it.

Thanks

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I know you said not storing anything on your iPhone & iTunes Gary but I've used iTunes Match for over 5-6 years now.
    Nothing/zero is stored on my phone, more than 20,000 albums stored on the cloud. And all my bootleg and private recording stuff (I have a lot of that)... they are obligated to store all of that too including all the artwork I make up myself, doesn't matter if it's on iTunes or not.

$25.00 per year, can't beat it. Again... nothing on the phone or laptop unless you want it to be. So very simple.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Apple canceled the iPod classic a few years ago, but you can still find them used. 160 GB ones can hold many thousand songs. I don't know how big your library is, but it can probably fit the most important stuff. Unfortunately you still have to use iTunes to load music on there, but there aren't many other large size mp3 players out there, so you have to compromise a little.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Apple-iPod-cl...60-GB/85892268
    Last edited by methamphetasaur; 09-16-2019 at 06:32 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Streaming is the way to go unless you live in an area with sketchy coverage. I’ll list ones I’ve used and recommend below.

If you absolutely do not want to stream, you can pick up cheap used (or new for that matter) iPod type devices with more than enough space for all of your CDs.

I digitized my CDs years ago but finally got tired of my daughters poking fun at me on road trips.

ITunes
    Amazon Music App
    YouTube
    Spotify
    Pandora
    IHeartRadio
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Just to clarify a bit. Where I live makes most of the above comments out of the picture. There is no cellular signal at all and my internet and TV have to come from satellites with severe data caps on the internet. My XM radio is also satellite and drops out around every corner. This is why I want a stand alone storage device that has no dependency upon any sort of over the air signals such as the cloud stuff. I already own 2 Eclipse MP3 Audio and video players. One has 4GB capacity and the other has 8GB capacity and both accept additional micro SD cards that have 16GB of capacity. We still have working Ipod units from Apple that were loaded with my music through Itunes which was a complete PITA.
    I would suspect the 8 GB MP3 player that claims it will hold over 2,000 on it plus the 16 GB micro SD card that should triple the capacity to 6,000 songs should do the trick. It is just a matter of getting them loaded or so I think.

IMG_1917.JPG

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

If your car has a USB input all you need is a USB memory Stick with your music on it. You may need to know what song format your audio system preference is and then fill that memory stick with your music. You also need to determine the quality (file size) of each song that you want to use.
    On a side note you mentioned your portable players hold SD or mircro SD cards and these can be found now in the 256 mb sizes if your player can read that capacity. I made the mistake of buying a 256 card for Linda’s camera only to find out it would only work with cards up tp 128.
    assquatch20 likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Here is the deal. I am old and not too computer tech savvy. I have been a long time Stereophile and love my high end equipment here at home. Not talking about my vast 33 1/3 LP vinyl album collections but about my vast collection of the CDs I have with all of our favorite music on them. Both vehicles have the premium JBL sound systems in them and USB connections to plug in portable devices such as IPads and MP3 players. The sound is great from the tiny little MP3 and Ipod players we have so here is the questions.
    What are the very best of these portable gadgets that can be loaded with all my CDs, probably over 200 full albums and I really do not want anything to do with Apple Itunes or my Iphone as the storage device. Just what I think are MP3 players with lots of memory and that can store and play my tunes without too much music fidelity degradation. I would prefer to stay away from Bluetooth stuff to, just a device that plugs direct into the onboard USB that goes through the audio system in the cars.
    I plan to pay some geek type kid to do all this transfer stuff and get the unit set up so instead of dragging 200 CDs in the car for road trips it will all pop up on the screen in the cars and be on a small portable device. I have FM and XM but I just want my music when I want it.

Thanks

GaryL
    Got an old smart phone laying around? Problem solved.

Tom
    assquatch20 likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

This should do it!

Highway-Hi-Fi-color.jpg
    littletommy and jtstdub like this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

I would say copy them with your tape cassette player and then you can play them on your boom box.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    "Life Member NRA"

Good One.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links