Must read for those who insist upon being "Green"!
Close

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Xracer
  • 2 Post By troll
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Xracer
  • 1 Post By konradsc
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 2 Post By Apolloha

Thread: Must read for those who insist upon being "Green"!

Must read for those who insist upon being "Green"!

I found this interesting and have said it here in other threads but there are many who will call it Bunk! How much does wind power really cost and how effective of an alternative is it really?

The Sham Wind-Power Crusade is Best Opposed on Local Battlefields - SAVVY STREETSAVVY STREET |

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson, Mel, Xracer and 1 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Someones making money off this bullsh*t. So it won't go away.
    Apolloha likes this.

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    what's that old saying? " money makes the world go around " we will be duped on both sides of this issue as long as there is money to be made..... only your grandchildren and their children will know the true value...
    Hoot Gibson and Xracer like this.
    Converte gladium tuum in locum suum. Omnes enim, qui acceperint gladium, gladio peribunt. - JC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think one thing we all ought to consider is that the wind is a real natural force that can and should be harnessed. I think this and many other truthful articles written on this subject exposes the facts that we are not even close to being able to claim wind power is ready for prime time as a reliable substitute for fossil fuel power generation. Solar power is already light years ahead of wind power and even it has a long way to go before it can be claimed as reliable at a profitable point where cost Vs return on the $$.
    There are plenty of research projects in the works with various types of nuclear power generation but with using substances much less expensive and more plentiful than Uranium. There are also many studies being conducted in the area of harnessing the energy from lightning strikes that in and of themselves produce millions of KWs free for the taking if only they could store it or convert it into useable voltages. I am far from being against technological advancements in the field of sustainable energy production but at this point where wind turbines are concerned it is my belief they should know when to hold them and know when to fold them. I would strongly oppose any wind turbine projects here in my part of the world and I am not yet fully convinced that solar power here in the often very cold north east are up to the challenges. My neighbor has a massive solar array and it certainly does produce useable electricity most of the time. The proof will be in the pudding after a number of years when his savings on energy costs will overtake his initial cost outlay for the system. During power outages I can produce all the electricity necessary to keep my entire home running perfect with my gasoline generator. Cost wise, powering my house off my generator is easily 4 times the cost of buying it from the poles and electric company. Most of us won't be here but I do envision in the future each town or maybe even each house will have their own nuke power generator in a rather small and unobtrusive out building like a shed.

GaryL
    Allanb likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

They want us to stop using petro products but are not these turbines and solar panels made from plastics? Where does plastic come from? OIL!!!
    Apolloha likes this.

Nice topic but not for me!
    GaryL likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by konradsc View Post
    Nice topic but not for me!
    Well said konradsc and just the way it should be handled when you see a discussion topic that either goes against your feelings or is of no interest. Just move on to the other topics or sections.

I would certainly expect a member here who might be employed in the Wind Energy field to have some disagreement with this topic just as any corn farmers have disagreements with when we discuss the ills of Ethanol in our TWs.

GaryL
    Allanb likes this.

Get rid of cars and SUV's and ride TW's instead, much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
    Get rid of cars and SUV's and ride TW's instead, much more enjoyable.
    True but it's hard to carry several sheets of plywood and 2X4's even with a good rack.

The very fragile freedom and great life we live now days is all based on oil (and various types of gases). Cars, trucks, food, water, military, electricity, and jobs. We would go in to complete starvation and chaos without oil. Don't knee-jerk that comment. Just think really hard about each of those items and you will see what I mean. I do think we need to have something waiting in the wings for when/if it runs out. That is up for debate because there is evidence that the earth is making more oil all by itself. Wind sounds good turns out bad (for birds). Solar great idea... just not hit the right combo for size verses output. We have to have something to get products (food mainly) to the people. It takes massive amounts of energy everyday to keep us alive. Wind ain't gonna do it. Solar ain't gonna do it. Red tape and bureaucracy ain't gonna do it. Most of all government ain't gonna do it.
    Xracer and Allanb like this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Sponosred Links