883 Iron
Close

Thread: 883 Iron

Hey Everyone, I know you all know a lot about the TW, but what are some of your thoughts about the Harley Davidson 883 Iron? I have always wanted a Harley, maybe it's because I grew up in Wisconsin, or because my father had one when I was a kid. But I am interested in the 883 Iron and I am wondering if anyone knows how reliable they are and are they expensive to maintain?

Thanks
    2010 TW - Easton bars & clamps, cyclerack (black), jimbo shield, acerbis steel gaurds, atv seat pad, custom skid plat, more upgrades soon

from what i have read the newer harley engines (evo twin cam and newer) are more reliable than the older ones...i also have a buddy that has a sportster from the last year that they were carbureted (2006 maybe?) and he says it is very top heavy (i.e. high center of gravity, unlike the TW) so it's a little harder to wrestle with in turns...make sure you get one with a rubber mounted engine (i believe the iron is since it's a newer model)...i'd also say the best place to look for info on harleys is not on a harley forum due to the hard-headed bias...i went to another forum that i belong to and did a search and they confirmed what i said above...myself i like the fourty eight and the softail slim

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=59567

I would love a Harley Sportster roadster. if you get a model after 2007 they are the rubber mounted engine and fuel injected. The Evo engine has hydraulic valves that don't require adjustment. They are belt driven as well which last longer. They seem to be a pretty good classically styled bike that requires very little maintenance.

the Roadster offers a more sporty style and longer shock travel. It also offers dual disc brakes in the front.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    ...myself i like the fourty eight and the softail slim
    Ryan, not to get off topic much, but isn't that a softail in the pics you posted of your garage lights? Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
    Ryan, not to get off topic much, but isn't that a softail in the pics you posted of your garage lights? Yours?

yup that's my dad's heritage softail...he keeps it in my garage for the winter...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodward View Post
    I have always wanted a Harley

Bam, that right there is probably about all you need to know.

I'm not too partial to Harleys myself, but I get that while there are more reliable Japanese cruisers out there, only a Harley Davidson is a Harley Davidson.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Thanks guys, I look at one next week and will let u know.
    2010 TW - Easton bars & clamps, cyclerack (black), jimbo shield, acerbis steel gaurds, atv seat pad, custom skid plat, more upgrades soon

I have a 2006 883 Low. Great bikes but the carbies suck terribly on the early models so go with EFI for sure. The poster who said avoid harley forums is partly correct - I found the XLFORUM dot net guys to be ok though. There's a lot of parts and accessories for H-D though so you can spend a LOT of money quickly!

I find they have a different riding style to any other bike - I almost felt like I was learning to ride again when I got on one for the first time.

Sponosred Links