Controlled Burn is Now a Wildfire
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fred

Thread: Controlled Burn is Now a Wildfire

Controlled Burn is Now a Wildfire

Once again a control burn has gotten a bit out of control.
    Fanned by strong winds a portion of one of my recent riding areas seems to be going up in smoke: CapleFireMap_336amPDT_10-11.jpg

Adam & Boarder255 rode this rocky ridge line from the east into the affected area not too many weeks ago.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I see now that PG&E has resorted to turning off the electric to avoid the lines from starting these fires. I also am well aware that California is highly invested in both wind and solar power as alternatives. So now the question becomes, How is that working out for all those folks who installed solar panel setups on or around their properties when the power company shuts down the entire grid? To be sure there are a very scant few who have both solar arrays plus large battery storage systems for the power they produce. This means when the grid shuts down any power produced by the panels or the wind turbines is also shut down and going to waste. Your solar home still requires a standby fossil fuel generator to provide electricity during a power outage and the solar becomes useless if the power company turns off the grid. During our last long duration outage I went up to check on the propane generator that was running at full till and happened to check the solar panel control center. Both of the switch panels were reading 240 volts of solar electricity being produced yet not one of those volts could be harnessed to run the house during the off grid power outage. Both panels just sat producing wonderful and free electricity from the sun but both control boxes were in the Disconnected mode meaning none of that electricity was going to the power company or to the house so in other words it was going nowhere.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

They changed the term “controlled burn” to “prescribed burn” a few years ago after too many went out of control.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for correction. Yes, they spent 3 days reporting on "successful fire ignitions" in the proscribed burn area only to change on the 4th day to "Oops, it's a wildfire now".
    Wildfire Today.com seems a better source for accurate timely info than official www fire.ca.gov website.
    Here is the granitic ridge west of Kirkwood from my video as seen from air yesterday: CaplesRxFire_sm_10-7-2019_ForSupvLaurenceCrabtree.jpg
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

We had one of those prescribed burns go "out of bounds" here earlier this summer. Didn't do any real damage as it appears the Kirkwood "prescribed burn" is doing now. Oopsies!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Admiral, you probably drove through some of the smoke from this fire on your drive back to Idaho. It was thick when I re-fueled in Minden.
    Affected area is fairly roadless and lightly visited. So if fire is contained to only a few thousand acres we might still have some good riding areas left.

On a side note these videos don't really convey the steepness of the terrain at times. Whenever you see my feet sticking out ahead up by the front wheel they are usually vertical simply trying to assist in controlling the bike on those steep down hill staircases. Trails like these made by 21inch x 18 inch rim conventional bikes often end up lacking adequate ground clearance to the TW's foot pegs, frame and other low hanging stuff.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-14-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Sponosred Links