The Jeep Gladiator... It's been growing on me. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: The Jeep Gladiator... It's been growing on me.

Well gang,
    We're on Jeep Wrangler number 9 right now. Yep, we've had NINE of them. Three CJ's (1) CJ-5 and (2) CJ-7s. (2) YJ's, (3) TJ's( two of those were Rubicons) and our present Jeep, a 2015 JKUR. Our '15 JKUR is not nearly as built for off road as all our other Jeeps were built. For those that really know Jeeps, the building of them for quality off roading, you know darn good and well that, the more you make a Jeep Wrangler perform better off road, the lousier it handles ON ROAD. So, since this present JK is about 90% street operated, and 10% off road operated, all we did was put a leveling kit, some Mopar Hi-Top fenders, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Rugged Ridge spare tire mount, 315 75 Hancook Dynapro AT's on American Racing/Hanson Off Road 17" x 8" Alloy wheels and, a few other odds and ends. It's been to Moab, Ouray CO, many portions of AZ and CA.

I too like the Gladiator. And, had thoughts of selling our GMC Sierra and our JK to simply trim down to one vehicle, the Gladiator. But, your basic Rubicon Gladiator with even mildly equipped components from the factory, is idling out the door at very close to $53,000!!!!!!!!!!! Then, put say, oh, maybe a 2" Mopar lift and, some nice Hybrid MT/AT 37's on it with some nice machined aluminum wheels ( I despise black wheels) and, you're looking at right close to $60K when you're all said and done. For those of you that have more money than you know what to do with, that's great and, you can have a ball. But, $60K for something that STILL only get's around 13-17 MPG on the road (I really don't care what the government says you're SUPPOSED TO GET), and is your daily driver, to take it off road and potentially screw things up, that's a tough pill to swallow. We have a really, really nice looking, raised, White GLADIATOR running around here in Lake Havasu and it looks OUTSTANDING. I envy that gent beyond belief. I actually spoke with him at a gas station one day while fueling the Dub. He's got exactly how I described I'd modify ours if we bought one. He's pushing almost $70K in his. NOPE, not in this life time. Oh well, ours is PAID for and, works just fine.
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FIRE UP; 11-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Ya but for an 1/8 of a million dollars you can be cool!
    "Life Member NRA"

Yeah had a few Jeep's. Beat the crap out of them, broke the bodies in half. Back before all the frames rusted out and now they are unibody, LMAO. 50k plus you have to be fricken kidding me.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The Wranglers still have frames. And not all of the later ones "rusted out". Jeep, not unlike other manufacturers, got cheap in frame preservation techniques for a while. And some, not all, did develop some rust. Of all the years and models we had, which represented just about all the models, none of them had that problem. As for the $50K price, yep, the Wranglers, as in the later JK and JL models, especially in the Unlimited or 4-door model Rubicons, Hard Rock Editions and derivatives, and many high equipped Sahara's, easily push the $55K out the door price tag. And, as stated earlier, the factory can produce some with OTD prices of well over $60K. Again, a tough pill to swallow, for a "Jeep". But, in equal context, there's 3/4 ton Ford pickups out there that are commanding $90K price tags Out - the - door!!!
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

I fell in love with Jeeps after renting them in Moab starting in the early 90's. Had a nice 1998 TJ for a while and the wife drove a 97 Cherokee sport. When it came time to replace the Cherokee after 14 years of reliable service, we made the mistake of test driving a Subaru Forester. That's what sits in the garage now. There was no comparison between it and the Jeep Patriot we almost bought. I am very disappointed with the new Jeep Wranglers - too damn big and expensive! They have strayed way too far from the original concept. What used to be a good reliable, utilitarian vehicle has become a rich man's toy.

Hope to pick up an older one someday.
    JerseyJeeper and kj7687 like this.
    2017 TW200, 2012 Ducati Multistrada, 2006 Polaris Hawkeye

It's a Jeep thing....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"

I'm waiting on the Gladiator Diesel , basiclly same 3.0 in the 1500 dodge truck .
    Sthrnromr and JerseyJeeper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greguw View Post
    I'm waiting on the Gladiator Diesel , basiclly same 3.0 in the 1500 dodge truck .

Yes, that's what I'm going to do but it'll be 4 years until my lease of the JLU ends. Hopefully the first year Gladiators and subsequent years will get as high a rating as the JLU's.
    I never thought I'd be happy with such a big 4 door pig but I love it. Parking is of course not as easy as a real 2 door Jeep.

Have not taken it off-road on trails yet but it seems capable. Just added side/step rails from Quadratec:

The stock factory one is just an expensive step. This is 100% better:
    IMG_2913.JPG

Body mounted. A frame mount version is tougher but I don't do any serious rock stuff out here in the Northeast. Just watch videos on youtube of folks that do that, Haha.
    This is fine on a leased vehicle that I certainly don't want to damage but want to actually use as a Jeep even though... it kinda isn't:
    IMG_2923.JPG
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

The Gladiator is a very cool looking machine, but way expensive for what you're getting. Remember the H3T from around ten years ago? I'm gonna hold out for the new FC Jeep when it comes out.
    JerseyJeeper and kj7687 like this.
    Short time livin'...
    '89 TW200

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links