The Jeep Gladiator... It's been growing on me.
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: The Jeep Gladiator... It's been growing on me.

Talking The Jeep Gladiator... It's been growing on me.

I actually disliked the Gladiator at first. I still have some reservations, but I have to admit that since seeing it in person (and it looks a lot better in person than in pictures IMO), I've been warming up to it a little. I don't know quite what it is...there's just something about it, I guess: call it the X-factor. I still find the stock break-over angle grossly atrocious (I'm pretty sure the breakover on my old GMC is better LOL...). However, if you lift these WAY up, that problem is pretty much eliminated, and you have the extra stability that comes with that long ass wheelbase. I must say, a Gladiator on 40s or bigger would be a good time -- and with 700+ horsepower under the hood...it would be even more of a good time (think big Saudi-style sand dunes LOL).

This video just happens to be right "in my back yard". I've been on this trail myself a few times over the years, and it can be a beast. The video doesn't lie!

https://youtu.be/PdMxvgUJBZw?t=199

I still really want to see a from-the-factory 2-door version with an "extra cab" (take about 12 inches off from the back side of the cab -- with small back seats that are just enough to make it POSSIBLE to seat people back there if you NEED to. The 2 seater version is great, but I really dig the extra cab (someone made one -- it's on YouTube). If Jeep came out with a factory 4 or 5 seat Extra Cab Gladiator, I'd probably get pretty interested pretty fast. Of course, that's pretty much not gonna happen. But I'll never have the money anyway, so it's a little moot.
    Last edited by kj7687; 11-12-2019 at 12:30 AM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Having seen a few stock Gladiators on the road I felt they looked a little cheap. Guess I have become so accustomed to modified Jeeps that any stock one looks simple. Good platform for further modifications.
    kj7687 likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Having seen a few stock Gladiators on the road I felt they looked a little cheap. Guess I have become so accustomed to modified Jeeps that any stock one looks simple. Good platform for further modifications.
    Yea, I don't know; as I said, I still have my reservations LOL. Something of a love-hate relationship, I guess... It's kind of like this vehicle is in a similar situation as the G310GS: unacceptable in stock form, but like you said, could be a good platform for the right sort of build. Seems like either of them "require" extensive modification, whereas some vehicles can be quite nice at or near stock.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    Not to hi-jack the thread...I am holding out for the release of the 2020 Ford Bronco.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.

Came up in these threads here before. After owning four (4) Jeep Wranglers (the real ones... two doors and a stick shift) I was really looking forward to the Gladiator. Waiting like other Jeep fans for years actually. Jeep had not made a true pick-up truck since the company was swallowed by Dodge-Chrysler. They certainly did not want Jeep producing a pick-up in competition with the Dodge trucks.

Fast forward to today and with Fiat as the owner the dream became a reality.

I knew I was going to get a Gladiator or an Unlimited this past Summer. Took some convincing of my wife why I needed a pick-up. She finally agreed and I went to test drive both models. Mind you this was the very first week the Gladiators came out and were available to actually see in person at the dealers, early July. Amazingly all of the special Limited Editions at close to $70,000 were completely pre-sold out. That's the type of market Jeep commands like them or not. Of course I was looking for the lowest base model you could order of either model, to lease.

Looks incredible from the outside. But in the cab of the Gladiator waiting for the salesman to come with the keys something changed my mind, I don't know but didn't feel right to me. I never actually drove it out of the lot. Sometimes ya just know what is or isn't for you.

Negatives and the only ones I could put my finger on, the bed is kinda ridiculous in size but then again it's being marketed as a recreational pick-up, it's for fun. No commercial business's are going to by a fleet of these, okay I get it. But the engine was too similar to the 2 door Wrangler I was trading in too, a 6 cylinder.

I was told a Diesel (a turbo diesel) with a bigger bed was in the works. Well, I was buying/leasing now so that was no help. I went with a big fat JLU loaded and it's pretty much a luxury vehicle compared to any Jeep I ever owned. I am enjoying it.

I still like the Gladiator a lot but don't love it. Being a first year model and what they say is coming... I'll wait to see how they shake-out over the next 3-4 years of my lease.
    There are 2 Gladiators I see on a regular basis by my house. interestingly both owned by women and they are automatics. Usually parked at the grocery store or a local Starbucks. The girls look fantastic in them, Ha.
    Who knew?
    Last edited by stagewex; 11-12-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    redriderjf87 and Peterb like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

I am obviously a jeep loving nut and I've been down the "should I get the Gladiator path"..

I had a Jeep Scrambler Pickup, it was the most awesome jeep for camping because it had some extra room and I had a rare hardtop for it. All toll i've had well over 30 jeeps of all kinds except JK and up.

I still have a 52 Willy's with a arctic hard-top and my 03' Rubicon TJ (only 19k on it, almost all in the woods).

End of day a Jeep or any vehicle is a tool for what you need it for. That's where things get iffy with the Gladiator.

These days a Jeep for me needs to get in tight places, and go just about anywhere as quiet and unseen as possible; scratches, AKA "Pine Stripes" are a given.

I used to be into the big giant tire sizes 37/38 and up (my Ford Ranger still has 38.5x15" DC's on it, but it's a trailer only truck these days) End of day the most useful size tire for me is a 33/34" extremely wide (13"+) SS tire. They make more sense for what I do. To big and you're to tall to fit where you need to go or can topple over to easy. 38's worked great on the Scrambler though (after I changed out the axles)..

Locking differentials front and back front is an absolute requirement "." - no way around it. 6" of lift is also a requirement, but a 5" lift may do.

While I loved the scrambler (a Jeep CJ with a pickup bed for those not familiar) new jeeps like the Gladiator are way overpriced if you want lockers and they have way to much to break (electronics under the truck)... I'd be afraid to use it for what I need a "jeep" for! I'll just stick with the TJ for Jeeping, no JK can fit where I go anyway and I won't be afraid to scratch it or drive through deep water.I've been in waste deep with no issues other than changing fluids when I got back.

What I think happens is people see these videos and get hypnotised, hell I do. All I can say is take your time figuring what your actually going to do with it and what you actually need it for i.e., cruising the BLVD or actually Jeeping.

A pickup bed that won't fit a bike has limited purposes for me, as a second fun vehicle sure, but at 70k for a Rubicon with options i'd just get another Ford Raptor. The one I have now only has a 5.5' bed, AND it's NOT very useful (and it was a surprise) but with 12" of FOX suspension and 500HP with a few mild add-ons makes it is fun for other reasons (sand dunes and jumping it, but that gets old). So in my case I really didn't need a "JEEP" that wouldn't fit down tight trails and I would be afraid to scratch and for the price it's still Raptor vs. Gladiator for a fun cruising truck.. and the Raptor wins. The Gladiator just doesn't fit anywhere in my needs.

The Jeep TJ Rubicon can do things and go places where the Raptor can never go, granted it is allot slower but no less fun to any appreciable amount. But I do love the look of a lifted "done" Gladiator, that's for dang sure as lars would say..

My oldie but goodie TJ..

Jeep-1.png
    Scooterbrained and Fred like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

I think they're more of a novelty, and quite expensive. Yeah, I'm good with a TJ or CJ, I'll pass on the YJ.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
    2004 TW200, low miles (not enough riding).
    Other 2 wheel toys; many bicycles and a honda CT90.

Kinda hard to swallow...pay $50-60k and have to put another $10-20k in it to make it cool! I will pass. I prefer 'ole skool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"

The Jeepster Man was a good friend of mine..

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    Kinda hard to swallow...pay $50-60k and have to put another $10-20k in it to make it cool! I will pass. I prefer 'ole skool.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Give me a old Willy's MB and I'd be happy as a lark.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links