YZ250f on the highway?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thinking of trading in my tw. local dealer has a pretty good deal on a hold-hold-hold over 2011 (eleven, really) yz250f. let's just assume I can actually get it registered & street legal & my wife would let me,,,. what do you think about taking ta yz250f on the highway?? I mean the tw is not great on the highway, but I KNOW it will do it if I really absolutely had to for a while. but the yz? are these yz racing mx engines special, delicate flowers that I shouldn't take on the highway? the yz is geared to get up to speed really quick I hear, so i thnk it could be my ultimate urban bike---just really super quick and light and I could still take it off road (and then some) like the tw.

thanks for your time on this. I guess there's probably a yz forum out there somewhere, but what do they know??

thanks again,

--J
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

I've ridden my father in-laws YZ250F and I tell you what, it is a monster. I was thinking, 50 more cc's isn't much...yeah right! Its a great bike, rides stiff as a board though. I'm sure it smooths out at higher speeds.

From what I gathered, these are race bikes. The top ends need to be rebuilt at specific intervals. These are just my opinions and assumptions though. Hopefully someone that has one can chime in.

You'll end up putting at least a couple hundred on up in parts on it to get it street legal.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Look at a WR250R, they are already street leagle and rum the highway with no problems. They are a little more scarse then the F model, but its exactly what your looking for

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Check with your local D.M.V. first. They may or may not shoot your dreams down.

^^^what these guys said...what state are you in?...this will determine how hard it is to get one street legal...more than likely it will be too hard to make street legal unless you're in a very easy state...take a look at the below site...it's not the official...like CritterGetter said look at the wr250 and if you want to go bigger look at the wr426 or wr450...better bikes for what you are looking to do...the maintenance intervals on that bike coupled with highway and road miles are not a good combination...

http://www.dmv.org/

awesome. im in the great state of maine. thanks for all the info!! think I'll stick with the tw for now & if I do trade I'll go for the wr. I did learn about a guy nearby who street titled a rmz250 2 stroke though---has a license plate and everything

Washington State changed their laws last year. You can now legally license any motorcycle for on road use as long as it meets certain criteria; blinkers, mirrors, lights, etc. Don't forget that you'll need DOT tires to be completely legal. You have to get it inspected by the State Patrol before it can be licensed. Its not uncommon to have 300-500 bucks in on-road equipment for a previously off-road only bike.

I'd personally go with the WR250R. Less hassle and its similar to the YZ.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by jckosnow View Post
    awesome. im in the great state of maine. thanks for all the info!! think I'll stick with the tw for now & if I do trade I'll go for the wr. I did learn about a guy nearby who street titled a rmz250 2 stroke though---has a license plate and everything

yea a wr would be your best bet...a ktm wouldn't be hard to register but you would still have the issue of maintenance intervals and highway miles...if you wanted to get a smoker street legal it's probably easiest to know someone in VT and "sell" the bike to them and have them register it and then "buy" it back and register it in ME...a lot of dirt bike titles have wording that states for offroad use only (or something to that effect) which makes them almost impossible to register, well at least in MA they are...maybe it's easier in ME...not sure

here is the official info from the maine rmv site...

http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registr....htm#mcprivate

How to Register a Private Sale Purchased Motorcycle:

Pay excise tax at your town office. Excise tax is a municipal tax. Please contact your local municipal office for additional information.

Documents needed:

-Signed bill of sale

-Title, if the vehicle is a 1995 model year or newer, signed over to new owner from the previous owner(s).

-Evidence of insurance (ID card, policy or binder)

-White & yellow copy of registration application and excise tax receipt (from town office)

If your municipality does not participate in our registration program, you will need to visit a BMV branch office with the documents listed above. Please contact your local municipal office to find out if they participate in our registration program.

Pay 5% Maine sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle.

Pay the title application fee ($33.00).

Pay the appropriate registration fees based on type of plate selected.

Vanity plates are available at any BMV branch office on selected plate types for an additional annual fee of $25.00. You may check the availability of a vanity plate online.

Disability plates are available and a physician's signature is required on the application.

This link has pics etc of my 2008 TWYZ250F I call it "Twice Wicked" as it has a 2003 YZ250F engine in it. It goes like STINK! I haven't had it long enough to know how well it will do on the highway longterm. I can tell youtho... it's a bunch of fun to ride !

z

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry56568
    Full custom 2008 TW200/250 build pics of my bike... I call her TW (short for "Twice Wicked" for her almost doubled HP Hidden Content )

Hidden Content

Newest member of the herd... 1987 Honda CBX250... this bike will become a board tracker this summer

Hidden Content

Bought another bike last fall (2012) ... 1982 Kawasaki KZ305 it's a "mostly done" bobber project I got for practically nothing

Hidden Content

thanks for the info point37!! zardoz, that twyz is awesome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links