New Bike?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Bike?

so i have been tossing around the idea of getting another bike that's more highway worthy for commuting and 2 up riding since i do a lot of driving and i'd rather ride but neither the TW nor the Husky are good on the highway...not selling the TW but may sell the Husky...

want list:
    commute friendly (90 miles daily)
    comfortable for 2-up riding (seating-wise and power-wise)
    low maintenance
    reilable
    somewhat light
    decent power for it's weight
    fuel injection
    bags/storage
    windshield

looking at:
    Triumph Bonneville 09+ (for fuel injection)
    Honda CB1100 (not sure if i want to go back to an inline 4)
    Kawasaki Versys
    Yamaha Star Bolt (2014 all new, need more info)
    Triumph Tiger 800
    Ducati Multistrada
    BMW F 800 GS
    Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100

list of brands i would consider buying a bike from:
    honda
    yamaha
    suzuki
    kawasaki
    husqvarna
    ktm
    husaberg
    bmw
    royal enfield
    triumph
    aprilia
    ducati
    victory
    harley davidson
    beta
    moto guzzi
    mv agusta
    gas gas
    ossa
    Last edited by Point37; 09-18-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    rmcglad55 likes this.

Probably a bit sportier stance than you are after, but this is on my short list of Japanese bikes to own some day.

The ZRX1100 Kawasaki

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lver_Paint.jpg

You can typically pick them up for about $4500.00 in good shape. They are freight trains and dead reliable. A modern version of the Universal Japanese Machine. Should be fairly upright seating for you and the passenger, but not as much as a cruiser.

However, it'd be about 100x more fun for me to ride than a Shadow or a VTX. Especially when I was alone and guilt free. I've ridden V-star 1600 and Vulcan 1500 bikes.. they feel a lot like my riding mower and turn corners about as well

If money is no option, check out the big Triumph Tiger.

http://cdn1.automotobounce.com/pics/...0-se_deedc.jpg

I LOVED the 1050 triple engine I had in my speed triple. The tiger is the adventure touring bike with luggage and even more upright seating. Triumphs are as reliable as Japanese bikes. I serviced mine on my own because there's free OBD software. I could remap the fuel injection myself with my laptop or run diagnostics on it, etc... But if you need dealer support they're less available. However they're as reliable of a bike.
    1993 TW200

yea the zrx wouldn't quite fit the bill for what i want to do with it...although it doesn't look too aggressive ergo-wise ( http://cycle-ergo.com/ )...it would be nice to keep the weight down to keep it nimble while keeping the power up but that's a hard combo to come by with what i'm looking for out of a bike

the triumph would be nice but even used it would probably be a little high price-wise for what i'm looking to spend unless i sell the husky which i'd rather not do
    Last edited by Point37; 07-30-2013 at 09:18 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The sound of a triple engine is just something special. I am not into V twin stuff really. I'm a parallel twin guy, but my speed triple made me happy every time I heard it

Unfortunately it almost made me lose my driver's license in short order. The TW feels fast, but I'm not actually speeding. As opposed to the Speed Triple that felt like it was sitting still, but I was going 100mph through town.
    1993 TW200

i like all bikes...i had a couple Honda cbr600rr sport bikes and they were fun but like you said can easily get you into trouble...i realize there is no bike that will do everything you want that's why i have multiple bikes...the TW for light trails and putting around town...the husky for ripping around town...now i just have to find a new one that will fit what i want it to do

Take a good look at the Royal Enfield's. Made in India now, were British for years... so not Japanese.

Mine is the CLASSIC model in dessert storm paint. It is a 500cc thumper (~27 hp) with a 5 speed. I think of it as the all metal version of the TW. It is a comfortable bike and feels more solid than the TW. They are about 7k new and can be much cheaper used. It is my daily driver to work and back and also my tour bike. Gets 60MPG, riding it hard like I tend to do... others say they get 70+ I've had it up to 85... others say they can get it to 100mph... but that isn't my thing.

Only unexpected drawback... I can't go anywhere without attracting a crowd! Took it to a major bike show last year here in Michigan, 1000's of bikes attended, but I had the only RE :-) Most think it is a WAR relic bike... until they see the EFI label. It is one of those "different than everyone else bikes".

I can't say I would take it across country, but I do ride it all over Michigan though. I've heard that someone has taken one from the tip of South America all the way to the US. Others in India have ridden 1000's of miles in one trip and offer tour groups on them. There is a cult following for them like for the TW.

At least one RE will always be in my garage just like the TW! :-)

^
    Sweet bike Chazk3, how's the build quality on them?
    Better than a Ural I hope!
    '09 TW200 - Black Jimbo Shield - Custom Oversize Foot Pegs - Tusk T-10 ATV Sport Bend Bars - Hammer Black Cycle Rack - Tool Tube (Muffler Style Mount) - 15/50 Sprocket - HID Headlight - Custom Mount Ducati Monster LED Tail Light - LED Turn Signals - Eagle Eye Running Lights - OURY Road Grips - Shinko 700 Trailmaster Front Tire.

I agree...I like the way that looks...add on a rear seat, a windshield and some bags and it's def a contender for my purposes...leaning towards a vt1100 right now due to it being about 100lbs less than the vtx1300c

Classic Desert Storm - Features, Specification & Reviews
    Last edited by Point37; 07-07-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks... they come with the pillion seat not shown on the website pictures. I had the dealer custom fab some ammo cans as the side saddle bags. They make a matching shield but I've resisted putting one on... I like the more retro look.

Not a great pic, but it was from the day I brought her home last Aug 3rd :-)

2012-08-03 10.42.22-1.JPG

Oh yeah... forgot to mention that I think the build quality is pretty good. The 2013 and newer ones should be even better because they now made in a brand new "modern" factory with robots and proper paint booths controlled by computers with baked on finishes. 2012 and older were painted by hand with a new batch of paint mixed up seperate for each bike. No 2 bikes really have the same exact color pre 2013. They have signed a deal with Polaris now so they should be easier to find in more dealers soon...

And before anyone asks... no I don't work for RE or get a commision for suggesting them I just enjoy mine and don't think many people know about them.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links