BMW F 650 GS
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW F 650 GS

Anybody want to throw in ther 2 cents on this bike.

The reasson I'm looking at this bike is because I would like to be able to get out on the hwy (US395), ride 300-400 miles, be able to keep up with traffic spends easily and then be able to get off rode to get to my favorite fishing holes.

I have not test ridden one yet but one thing that jumps out is the seat. Looks a little TW-ish and my butt gets a little tired (sore) after a while in it.

Very nice bikes + reliable

Lots of them in South Africa.
    2008 TW200

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169810

I'm admittedly biased, having racked up close to 400,000 KLR miles (spread out between 4 bikes since 1986. All were still running perfectly when sold at 80,000+ miles, btw) including some 1,000 mile Iron Butt rides. It may be slightly more sophisticated to some, but I never considered the BMW much of a value, particularly for your stated purposes.

Cool factor aside, unless you need a low seat height you might consider a KLR or even a DR650 with an oversized tank, then buy a couple more TW's with the change.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The BMW is a fine motorcycle and quite capable offroad in skilled hands. It's not a TW, though. A couple friends in Texas have them. One dualsports his, the other has an XT350. Don't expect great single-track capability, but for most forest srevice and park roads it will do. Reports are that 70mpg is the norm no matter how you ride. Reports of high routine maintenance costs, too, some of which must be done by the dealer.

If I won the lottery I'd consider a F650GS. Otherwise, I'd go with a KLR. The DR and XR 650s both really need a lot of help to make long road rides anything other than torture, but they both beat a GS or KLR offroad. Choose your compromises wisely.

BMW's are ok but get a KLR! I've had mine for two years with very little problems and the ones that did show up I was able to fix myself. Also it's got a big gas tank and with a Wal-Mart seat pad it make a good long range highway ride. Save some money and farkle it up to anything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    BMW's are ok but get a KLR! ...
    Hi X.

Them's fightin' words! :

I've had both. Still have the DR and the TW.

The F650 is a high dollar, high tech,very capable motorcycle... fuel injection, water cooled, some have abs. There are plenty of riders who love the F650 (single), and it's been around the world. I never could fall in love with it, and after a year I sold it.

The DR650 is a low cost, air cooled, carbureted bike. I think of it as the big brother of the TW200.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

No fight here my friend. It's just after talking with some Beemer owners and some of the issues they have had I'm more than convinced that my plain,clean and more or less simple KLR is a better way to go. But if a Beemer floats your boat...Go for it!

All of these are good bikes but if you want something a little different and bang for the buck look at the MZ Baghira/Mastiff.

The sweet reliable Yamaha 660 motor and a cheap initial purchase price. A couple low mile bikes sold recently on eboy for $1400 and $1800. Seat isn't as comfy as the BMW but with the money saved you could custom order a miniature barcalounger covered in rabbit fur and strap it on the MZ.

Thanks for everyones 2 cents. Really appreciate you taking the time.

FWIW, I looked into the KLR and DR650's and the seat height was the issue there.

Im 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam and didnt feel confortable on either bike. The BMW seat height is 32 inches.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by cptrout View Post
    Thanks for everyones 2 cents. Really appreciate you taking the time.

FWIW, I looked into the KLR and DR650's and the seat height was the issue there.
    The F650GS single is a good bike. If you are thinking of a new one, they are now called a G650GS (single cylinder). The F650GS is now a detuned 800cc twin cylinder bike.

By the way, I'm the same size as you. I put the suspension of my DR650 in the stock "low" position, then added a lowering link. Seat height is now the same as the BMW.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links