1982 Honda XL185S
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1982 Honda XL185S

I just bought my wife a little 1982 Honda XL185S so she can ride some easy stuff with me. It's almost 30 years old, with 1,900 miles on it, in cherry condition. Almost no wear on anything.

What I'd like to know? I don't know. Whoever knows these bikes and has some good advice, especially maintenance and parts, I'd appreciate it. Quirks? Pay special attn to...?

Thanks.

Original/old tires?

Replace them first before you start to ride the bike.

Having a blowout at a critical moment could cost you dearly....
    2008 TW200

brake cables throttle and clutch cables fuel lines are all potential problems waiting to happen. +1 on the tires.
    not a TW owner but i play one on this forum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

They are a very tough little bike.Like the T.W. keep the oil fresh and the valves adjusted. Also if it was mine I'd change the fork oil and lube the swing arm and steering head bearings as by now the grease has turned to clay.Last check the intake manifold and airbox tube for any age cracks.

They used to be very popular in the UK.

As Xracer said you MUST keep on top of oil changes as the there is no camshaft bearing, it runs directly in the head casting.

I have a twin shock XR200 in my collection of old bikes and it is very similar.

Wow. These are really helpful responses. Thanks a lot, Petrus, Davidsongsccc, Xracer, and uktw125. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic, but I think I got my hands on a sweet little bike and I'd like to start out taking care of it. It fires right off on the first kick, and purrs like a kitten. I just like the idea of "pre-empting". Since I only paid $600 bucks for it, I have some "wiggle room" for putting some maintenance up front (not to mention what my wife is going to do to me if it goes tits up in the middle of nowhere).

Thanks again.

Do a complete tune and service. Lube and adjust everything, whether it needs it or not. Check torque on all the nuts and bolts. Open the headlight and under the side covers to look for corroded wire terminals. Keep an eye out for any dry rotted rubber or plastic, including the fuel line. In fact, fuel and vacumn line is so cheap just replace all the rubber on the bike.

I once had an XL185S. I bored it out and put in a 200cc piston. I put XL200SM on the side panels (SM stood for Super Modified). Extremely tough bike, will handle anything you throw at it (almost). One time I tried to cross over what appeared to be 2 feet of water. However, underneath the water was extremely soft sand, and my bike sank up to the handlebars. I spent two days drying everything out and getting it back running again. I would go riding at night time with some friends on ATV's, my claim to fame was a dancing headlight pointed up towards the trees. Those were the good old days.

Honda XL 185s is a great bike and quite tough too. I had one in 1984 when I was 15. Used to ride it all over ilegally. Once managed to wielie it for just over 300 metres - was so excited I rushed home and checked the Guiness book of records only to find the world record then was about 57 Kilometres!!!!!

Decided to practise this wielie thing more, so I found a semi-deserted road where some houses where being built and started practising wieling intensly in front of the working builders. Flipped the bike a few times and once so well that a watching builder / roofer laughed so much at me, HE fell off the roof!!

Then I watched a movie about Evil Knievel, so I decided to also try ramping. Built a steep high ramp and since I had never done anything like this before, decided speed was the way to go, so I took a 500m running start. Think I was doing about 80kmh when I hit the ramp! It's really fun to fly, but really sore to land. Afterwards literally bleeding everywhere, I sat on my moms washing machine while she pulled small gravel stones out of my legs with a tweezers. Bike was wrecked / frame all bent.

Good memories / good bike / enjoy!!
    Peterb likes this.

Grant, that's a heck of a story. It's amazing you lived to tell us about it. In fact, I read it three times as I had the images of your stunts vividly in my head. Too funny

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links