OT: Road Trip Missouri to Nevada
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: OT: Road Trip Missouri to Nevada

OT: Road Trip Missouri to Nevada

Off Topic because it's a car road trip. I'm bored driving I-40 and we'd like to hit the back roads and who better to ask about cool back roads and cool back road places than motorcyclists?

The end of August we are going to drive from Independence, Missouri back home to where we live outside of Las Vegas, NV. Just from looking at the map, what looks like a reasonably straight shot would be north on US35 to Garden City, KS. Garden City to around Durango, CO on US50. Then to St George, UT, maybe via Tuba City area.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Oh, I should mention we will be in a car, so by back roads, I do mean something with asphalt or well graded.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

I don't think you can go wrong with the Hwy. 50 part of the plan for what you have in mind.

Too bad doing the Nevada section takes you so far out of your way. That's about as "backroad byway" as you can get in one stretch in this country while remaining on pavement.

retmotor likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I've rode 50 a few times from across Kansas and way in to Colorado, you'll like it.
    Last edited by r80rt; 08-18-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    retmotor likes this.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

One of my favorites is US 54 (I take it from Louisiana, MO to Tucamcari, NM). Not overly heavy on truck traffic, a mix of 4 lane and 2 lane, plenty of grain elevators (did I mention the worlds biggest ball of string, or the deepest hand dug well, or the stock yards (feedlots) in Dalhart? I like random tourism so my best advice other than 50, 54, etc is to look for any US highway that is going your way, don't be afraid to deviate off to State Highways, stay on your side of the white line, and enjoy. If you come near any of your TW friends, don't be afraid to give a shout and share a beer, enchilada or campfire. Travel happily. Tom
    retmotor likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Thanks, all! Peruano, I have not traveled that specific route, but I have been in those parts of the country, although it's been a while. I wonder if it would be a good idea this time of year to stay a bit north like on highway 50 and travel through Durango, CO and that area? I imagine it would be a bit cooler in the mountains south of Denver and that is a part of the country I have not seen -- and besides, CW McCall sings about that part of the world
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Mel
    If you are going to attempt Durango, North out of Raton, N.M. you can travel a route through a place called Stonewall. It is a beautiful drive. I was fortunate to have seen it on my Goldwing. You also can catch Mesa Verde. That is after South Fork and Wolf Creek Pass.
    Mel
    retmotor likes this.

Oh yeah, Mesa Verde is a must see, take off your sun glasses before you run through the tunnel. I thought I'd went blind for a few seconds
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Stonewall sounds like something I'd like to see.

Mesa Verde as you drive through on 160 or Mesa Verde the National Park?

This is the first time I've ever been excited about driving back from Missouri. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Mel
    That is Mesa Verde National Park. Very interesting. The Stonewall drive is a designated scenic drive in Colorado, marked as highway 12. A beautiful countryside, 2 lane paved road.
    Mel

From Durango you could go the 160 across the top of Arizona, pick up the 89 then on to Utah. This route would miss Tuba City.

Don't get me wrong, Tuba City is a fine place to visit and there used to be a cafe where you could get the best Navajo burger on the Rez there. If you go through Tuba then would you drop down to the 40 or go North to the the 15?

I would go North for scenery.

The Vermillion cliffs are between Page and Kanab and they are something to see at sunset or before. If you like fishing, Lee's Ferry near the Vermillion Cliffs is a world class trout river.

I used to bow hunt the Kaibab south of Kanab, love that area! If you have a spare few hours, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon that you get to South of Kanab is spectacular. Much better than the South rim.
    retmotor likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links