Lane Splitting... Do you partake?
Close

Poll: Do You Lane Split?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lane Splitting... Do you partake?

Lane Splitting... Do you partake?

An update to the 2012 survey by the California Office of Traffic Safety was put on my desk earlier today that shows some traction for those of you who are on two wheels and have air cooled machines between their legs.

It shows some really strong data behind the responsibility that motorbike riders have been taking with the legal use of lane splitting in California. The practice is on the rise as well. Up 4.3% in just one year, and it isn't just the boys doing it. Females are splitting lanes as well!

From what I can discern from the data, Lane splitting by riders has not caused any significant danger to the public and themselves. If anything, the practice, while I would not call it "safe," is not riddled with the dangerous situations that I associate in my mind. There seems to be an incredibly low number (from what I imagined) of cars/motorcycles that have reported to be hit during a lane split.

The biggest threat to a rider's safety while lane splitting? 33.1% say Drivers not looking in mirror (Not seeing motorcycle), followed closely by 25.6% saying Distracted drivers (cells or texting).

97% of drivers reported that they have neither hit, nor have been hit by a motorcycle on a freeway.

However, with all this data that shows it is not as dangerous as one might think, 38.5% of drivers Strongly Disapprove of the practice. So much so, that 6.4% of drivers surveyed said that they have tried to prevent a motorcycle that was lane-splitting from passing. That is scary, but I guess it is better than the 7.3% that tried last year.

Thank you goes to Surj Gish at LaneSplittingIsLegal.com for the analysis of the 39 Page Downloadable PDF Study by the California Office of Traffic Safety.

It has always been legal here and I've been quitr happily and safely doing it without incident since 1970 or thereabouts.

In fact the only danger presented has been from jealous or pissed off cagers who will occasionally try to close the gap.

Cali has recently begun an ad campaign informing the general herd that the practice is legal and reminding the cagers of their role in keeping it safe.

The study was actually ordered by those seeking to abolish lane splitting. I think the facts kinda wrecked their day. But in combination with environmental and traffic concerns we don't expect they will try to contest it again for a very long time.

Personally, think the practice is ok if you are careful and you need to get out of traffic while it is at a standstill and/or very slow. Lane splitting at high speed though I find a little unnerving, both as a motorcycle rider and as a car driver. I was down in LA last weekend and I saw some ridiculous driving by both auto and bike riders....so I can understand the arguement against it. I personally always opt on the side of more personal freedoms however.

Bart

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was born and raised in California, and rode bikes there for 20+ years prior to moving out. Lane splitting like many thing is fine in moderation. What I mean by that is if traffic is really stop and go to common on CA freeways stopped move between lanes both carefully and slowly is fine. Traffic moving 40 and your splitting at 60 strikes me as just dumb, but I have seen it. The majority of the bike I have ridden have been air cooled and a bike will just cook idling on a hot day in traffic. I now live in Arizona and splitting is not legal but there are time I sure wish is was.

I think the issue is that the facts don't support the perception that the practice is unsafe.

Idjits is idjits, but in reality even the idjits aren't dying from lane splitting.

My guess is that they prefer to go out more spectacularly. 90 mph wheelies in shorts and flipflops come to mind. Good luck legislating actual, proven junsafe practices out of existence.

r80rt likes this.

O.T., but am I the only one who's been advised that "you have already voted in this poll" when you haven't? Last couple polls have been the same.

Anyway,I'm sure NickP is aware that the poll will logically be skewed by votes from those outside of California since Cali is the only state in the union in which lane splitting is a legal option. But motorcyclist's lobby groups in other states have been waiting on Cali's results in order to use them as ammunition for passing similar legislation elsewhere.

It even has the support of the greenies now, on the basis that it eases gridlock and reduces pollution. Love it or hate it lane splitting could be coming to a state near you.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 07-12-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Legally can't. I don't think I'd do it if I could.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I do it when the traffic is stopped like at a red light but when the traffic starts to move I get back in line.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

legal here in Hong Kong - and i do it daily... or in fact at every set of traffic lights - filter to the front and burn away from the rest of the cages...

its actually safer to filter ( lane split ) than wait in line an be rear ended by some dozy driver on facebook/ texting/ doing their lippy

overtaking between moving cars requires very good observational skills- if they are doing 30 mph + then I am patient and dont do it..
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

Illegal here but I do partake from time to time... mainly at lights.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links