Wagon Train Ride
Close

Part I. So, is this going to be off-topic or what? Went on a Wagon Train ride with my father-in-law. Part of our route was on the old California Trail, which branches off from the Oregon Trail near Raft River, ID (City of Rocks area). Our wagon train with for animal drawn wagons and 1 pickup drawn wagon (Ed got kicked by one of his horses so he sold the team), but likes to go anyway, started in Idaho, went through a sliver of Utah, and mostly in NE Nevada. High temps during the days were upper 60's to around 70, and we had a low of 17 degrees on two different nights. Burr! So, I'll share a few photo's.

Leaving home (this setup is not legal in all states).

Saw this at a rest stop on the freeway and thought it was funny.

First night at trailhead, will leave in the morning.

Off we go.

More to come
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Part II.

This part is suppose to be the original wagon ruts. Some of the trail is on modern day roads.

Monty, Daphine and wagon. Pretty cool old time wagon.

Proof that I went and got out of work for over a week.

Spectators.

Continued in part III
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Part III.

One last spectator. Glad he was on the other side of the fence!

Sunrise at Horse Creek Camp.

One of the boys doing all the hard work!

Lunch break.

Trail tales along the way.

The big shot at Nike is suppose to own this now consolatated Ranch.

This is where the spring comes out of.

Continued in Part IV

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Part IV.

Not allowed to sip the water from here. Winecup game management enforcement officer encouraged us to stay at an old ranch upsteam!View at dusk from camp.

Will we be ambushed up ahead?

Nope, made it through!

Or will we be ambushed?

Next camp here. Actual elevation is 6225 verified by 2 GPS's.

Out of operation water pump for livestock, looks like an oil well pump.

Final Part.

Wagon train didn't go off without a "hitch" so to speak.

Lloyd's commissary wagon crash #1.

Lloyd's commissary wagon crash #2.

Lloyd's commissary wagon crash #3.

Cause of crashes? Narrow front tire displacement, 800lbs of water over narrow front wheels, and driving over the berm causing crash #1, with twisted wagon tongue for crashes #2 & 3. Lloyd laughed it off. He's 76 and doesn't get too excited.

Coming down the grade.

Burnt Juniper trees reminded me of a "Juniper Cemetery".

Views and terrain were much better than I imagined of NE Nevada. I expected flat desert, but although dry, was very "Westerny".

With summer TW riding all but over, I hope you enjoy this little adventure.

Great stuff! It's good to be reminded that the 'adventurers before us' weren't doing it for recreation, didn't have fossil fuel burning engines for propulsion, and often were breaking their own trails into uncharted territory. We may think we're really something out there on our TW's heading out into the backcountry, (and perhaps by today's standards, we might still be), but these guys were the real deal. Glad you are able to give us a glimpse into our history. Hope you had a great time! Thanks for sharing -

Beautiful pictures and writeup. As always.

Thank you for sharing it with us
    2008 TW200

Sat in my room the other side of the world, looking at your pictures.... it seems almost unreal.

Everything outside my window this evening is small, narrow, green, muddy, wet, dark, windy and cold!

Your adventure looks quite the opposite!!!

Cool wagons, are those mules?
    We're in 'Bat Country' now....

Sat in my room the other side of the world, looking at your pictures.... it seems almost unreal.

Everything outside my window this evening is small, narrow, green, muddy, wet, dark, windy and cold!

Your adventure looks quite the opposite!!!

Cool wagons, are those mules?
    We're in 'Bat Country' now....

Hey Sly Fox,

Your Quote "it seems almost unreal".

I hope I never take anything for granted in this world and feel very fortunate to have experienced all of the things I have. Though I have been around the animals and wagons for some time now, it still feels "Very unreal" to me that my family and I get to experience riding Mules/Horses, and in the locations we get too. Of course this type of riding is not everyone's cup of tea!

Indeed our wagon was pulled by a "3-across" mule team, and Lloyds wagon was pulled by a "4-up" mule team. The other 2 wagons were pulled by some kind of Draft Horse crosses. I was told what draft/cross they were, but can't remember for sure. The "1-up" I believe is a draft/paint cross, but not sure of the draft breed.

At our place, we have 7 mules altogether, not counting the TW . Five of the seven are saddle and pack saddle broke with 2 of these 5 also trained to pull wagons (1 is in this team for this trip). The other 2 are wagon and pack saddle trained, but are not saddle broke for riding.

I have heard (but not researched for myself), that back in the old U.S. Cavalry days, bells were put into a mules tails to denote how well they were trained. We take that as (and in no particular order) 1 bell=saddle broke, 2 bells=saddle and pack saddle broke, and 3 bells= saddle/pack saddle and wagon team broke. I was told this on the trip by Lloyd and am curiose to find out.

To apply the bell system to the TW, I think mine would have 2 bells; saddle broke and team broke (I pulled railroad ties around our place) ha ha.

Sponosred Links