Geocaching
Close

Poll: Do you / Have you ever gone Geocaching

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching

Geocaching

how many of you geochache? what handheld gps do you use or recommend? i have done it quit a few times but sometimes get frustrated with the gps cause it eats up so many batteries and they are not that user friendly

I do lots of geocaching while out riding

I use a Garmin etrex vista hcx for both my route navigation and geocaching. I use the handlebar mount, though some say the vibration ruins the gps.
    I've used this setup for years and not had a problem myself though. A pair of AA batteries last me a couple of days before they die while leaving the gps on constantly. If I turned it off on my stops it would last longer I'm sure.
    I also have a power outlet cord I can use if my batteries die. You can see my gps/hat mount, but my gloves cover the location of my power outlet (cord not attached at the moment) located next to the right of my dash turn signal lights. (Bonus you get to see Georgie in the mirror)! Giggle
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

We geocache. For a handheld we use a Garmin nuvi and a Garmin 60csx. The 60csx is pretty easy on batteries - the nuvi's rechargeable battery does not last very long.

The nuvi is not designed as a handheld but for geocaching we find it easier to use and see than the 60csx, and if it is raining we have a waterproof GPS bag for it. If you don't need long battery life it works well and you can download Pocket Queries to it. We also use it for our main car navigational GPS.

When we have long hikes, or extensive tree cover, or when we are looking for benchmarks we use the 60csx.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I use a garmin GPS along with the geocaching.com app on my iphone. I've found caches in my local area and when I am on business travel. I haven't sought out any of the TW 200, yet.
    Richard (a.k.a. LiquidSilver)

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

91 TW200 aka "The Mule" :-)

03 VRSCA / 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 / Honda Helix CN250[/color]

I use a Garmin Oregon 400t for the topo base maps
    The biggest issue is I walk too fast when I get close to Ground Zero and walk past the cache and have to circle around several times.
    If I remember to turn it off, I can normally get 8-10 hours per set of AA.
    87 TW200 - Bought June 2011 with 3687 miles
    Mods: Jimbo shield (Lt Blue), Cycleracks front & rear, Clarke TW tank (White), 1" handle bar risers, wide foot pegs
    New seat cover from snow mobile seat vinyl with more padding

90 TW200 - Bought May 2019 with 1295 miles

82 Maxim XJ 750 - Bought Sept 2018 with 22,384 miles

I use a Garmin 60CS. I found it for $30 on Craigslist. I like my 60CS, and can recommend it. It will go a couple of days on one set of AA batteries, and it's pretty accurate. I like that it has a pretty strong antenna. I can pick up satellites sitting in my front room. I'm still learning to use all of it's features. My older brother, who is an avid geocacher, uses a Garmin Gecko simply because it does the job, and is small and light enough to carry in his shirt pocket. I think geocaching is an ideal activity to do on the TW. I've been to places looking for a cache that I wouldn't have known about or gone to otherwise.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    I've been to places looking for a cache that I wouldn't have known about or gone to otherwise.
    I hear you there B-dub. In my opinion, that is the best thing about geocaching.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    I've been to places looking for a cache that I wouldn't have known about or gone to otherwise.
    Absolutely agree. I've gone to places I would have never known about. Some geocache's are based on history of the area, (railroads, graves, mines, & overlooks). I've taken riders to different areas, not for the cache, but because it's interesting or beautiful.

Other times I will hear about something (old mine, ghost town) and not know anything about it. I will use geocaching for some of the searching. Usually someone else has already been there and will provide information on it. Including the location!

GPS; I use to have a Garmin 60csx. One of the best units available at the time. And would recommend to beginner user. Its still a great little unit, but technology has passed it up. I now have a Garmin Montana 650t. Its an expensive unit at around 500 bucks, but can be used for handheld with topo info or use it as a city navigator on the bike or car. You just shut off one map and turn on a different one. And you can download geocaches directly into the Montana. Just seeing the little geocache symbol on the screen makes it much easier to navigate to.

X-2................... I like the idea of going paperless........ OMM.

My wife and I live in Maine and have gone in the winter. It's fun geogaching on snowshoes and when everything is covered in snow or frozen solid you can make straight lines from point to point. No going around streams and marshy areas! No bugs either!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links