Trash find
Close

Thread: Trash find

Trash find

i have been checking out pelican cases for a while now and just havent pulled the trigger yet cause i cant decide which one to buy, but to day we went to my parents house and their neighbor had this out for the trash... its a little muddy but will work for what i need its a military issued night vision goggles case
    2013-08-05190224_zpsf90a116e.jpg2013-08-05190258_zps4ca4b043.jpg
    now to find a secure way to mount it
    Last edited by Dmd3058; 08-06-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Good find! I have read threads in the past (on another forum) of people searching out night vision goggles cases specifically to use for rear motorcycle trunks.

that is the box I have on the back rack of my '09. Having made my own custom rack, I had to secure it too. Do you have a rear rack on your bike? TIM

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Score!!! Looks like that will provide plenty of capacity.

If you don't have a Cyclerack to mount it to, I highly recommend them. If you order one, ask them to leave the back of the rack flat instead of upturned. That allows a lot more flexibility in mounting your case. Another option would be a modified ATV rack like Lizrdbrth and a couple of others have done.

I mounted my case with u-bolts. Someone else on this forum used j-bolts. I'm thinking of making mine more easily removable by using j-bolts on one end, and on the other end a backwards z made from angle iron to slip under one of the tubes of the rack. Like this O|-- With the fasteners for the j-bolts inside nobody could remove it without first getting the case open.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post

If you don't have a Cyclerack to mount it to, I highly recommend them. If you order one, ask them to leave the back of the rack flat instead of upturned. That allows a lot more flexibility in mounting your case. Another option would be a modified ATV rack like Lizrdbrth and a couple of others have done.

I mounted my case with u-bolts. Someone else on this forum used j-bolts. I'm thinking of making mine more easily removable by using j-bolts on one end, and on the other end a backwards z made from angle iron to slip under one of the tubes of the rack. Like this O|-- With the fasteners for the j-bolts inside nobody could remove it without first getting the case open.
    yes i already have the cycle rack and have seen how some have had their cycle racks adjusted to remove the hump but im probably gonna leave mine the way it is unless i have to remove it

Quote Originally Posted by tinman tim View Post
    that is the box I have on the back rack of my '09. Having made my own custom rack, I had to secure it too. Do you have a rear rack on your bike? TIM
    if you got some pics please post them it may help push me one way or the other on mounting thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post

I didn't take the time to turn my U-bolts into J-bolts when I mounted my Actionpacker, but I wish I had. Getting the 8 points to line up just right when using U-bolts to mount to a Cyclerack is a fitment nightmare I've been through twice now, both with a used Dewalt case and with the Actionpacker. Of course the Actionpacker is a special pain because you need the reinforcement of a plate on the inside like a piece of plywood or a nylon cutting board (what I used) to make it sturdy enough for this purpose. That means 16 holes all lining up!

Now with lock washers and nylock nuts, a U-bolt mounted case isn't going anywhere on even the bumpiest of trails (trust me!) but it's such a pain to get on and off that unless you're super committed to running that topcase full time I'd take the time to cut and die J-bolts that will hug the Cyclerack and fit under that sweet metal topcase that should really only have 4 (neoprene washer sealed) holes drilled through it. Great big plastic threaded knobs with lock washers under them should hold your case steady and make it easy to remove, worth the effort in my estimation. I used slitted radiator tubing between the rack and the bolts to protect the metal and absorb some of the vibration.

I'm sure not doing the 8-hole ream-out again. Die sets are cheap at Harbor Freight.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

image.jpgThis is mine mounted. Safety wires ensure the latches stay closed and tether it if it does come loose
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tinman tim; 08-18-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Sponosred Links