Cambria, California Horizons Unlimited Meet
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cambria, California Horizons Unlimited Meet

Cambria, California Horizons Unlimited Meet

We've finally committed to attending our first Horizons Unlimited meet which will be held at Cambria, California at the end of October.

For those of you not familiar with HU, it's a worldwide organization which is devoted primarily to furthering the cause of long distance, around-the-world and expediton-style motorcycle travel and there will be a lot of folks present who've "been there and broke that" in some of the more remote parts of the world. These are annual events held on various dates on nearly every continent.

Roughly 3 solid days of lectures and demonstrations on a variety of topics from wrenching to riding to tire changing to cooking and for me an opportunity to rub elbows with some of my more significant motorsickle heroes such as Craig Vetter, famous authors and travellers who started back when the world was a very different place such as Ted Simon (Neptune's Travels. The 70's trip that got a lot of us off the ground) and others.

Should be something for everyone if yer into it, Thought it might be of interest to at least a few of yoose NorCal losers.

Last one to Nitwit Ridge buys breakfast! Er sumpin'. Hoping to finally hook up with Mel, who by now is probably getting awfully lonesome as the Only TW Owner On The Central Coast. Even if you can't attend the event maybe a few of us can gather up and squeak in a day ride?

Purple and I will be there with our freshly updated ( I hope) TW's and Grant (the founder of HU) has assured me that there is always a sizable contingent of XT/Serow and small bike devotees with world travel cred present. Maybe I'll get the opportunity to send one of our oil coolers around the world with one of them as a side giggle.

HU Travellers Meeting California 2013 | Horizons Unlimited

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 10-29-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    r80rt and Dubzha like this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Mel
    Hey Lizrdbrth,
    I would certainly be disappointed if we got a group of motorcyclists together, especially TW riders, that close to San Luis Obispo, and not have a get-to-gather. Breakfast, evening meal, or something. I would also be available for anyone with some kind of mechanical help, (I have every tool know to man), including portable air compress, trailer, what ever it might be. Just keep me informed. Maybe those who might be attending could respond to this post. Lets stay in touch. I would have no problem putting together a day ride.
    Mel

The list of presenters is growing.

Anyone else going?

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

i wish it wasn't this month... i'm out of weekend excursion waivers!
    sounds like a great venue and chance to meet a few more fellow t-dubbers. post pics.

mel, i'm still down for a ride in your area, though maybe not until spring.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

We came. We saw. We WILL be back. Truly a unique experience.

These two weird little bikes proudly assume their take their rightful place amongst the 251 or so assembled adventure bikes in attendence. To a man (woman) everyone at this event is on the same page: Share what you've learned, learn what you haven't. Probably 75% of the bikes present were of the large displacement, high priced variety but nary a trace of elitism here:

We thought we'd squeeze in a ride or two over the four days, but once the bikes were unloaded and the tent set up they never moved from this spot in the entire time. Too danged much info and good food to be absorbed. The ocean views and the distant sound of sea lions lulling you to sleep of an evening kinda sucked though......:

The one and only Ted Simon, celebrating the 40th anniversary of Jupiter's Travels. Now 82-ish, This man's RTW trip and subsequent books have probably sparked the imagination and lit the initial fire in the belly of more motorcyclists of mine and subsequent generations than any other:

Shared a meal and interesting conversation with Mike Hannon, of Mike and Jo Hannon, and author of "The Elephant's Tale" recounting the husband and wife teams' worldwide adventures on their Beemer "the Elephant":

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...4608/tpod.html

The backside of said Elephant:

I'm kinda pizzed about this washed out Bunny Teeth pic with Cliff Danger, one of my favorite people, but it will have to do. Owner of Lucy, his 125cc Russian Minsk/mobile good will center and founder of The Bunny Teeth Movement. You can read more about The Bunny Teeth Movement and Cliff and Lucy's travels through southeast Asia and elsewhere here:

http://www.cliffdanger.com/

This here is Grant Johnson. He and his wife, Susan are RTW motorcyclists and also the founders of Horizons Unlimited, so this is their show. Grant gives a 2 hour tire changing demo. If you think you know all there is to know about the subject Grant will prove you wrong. By the time his demo is over you'll know more than you ever thought possible not only about your tires themselves but such things as how to determine correct pressures for a severely overloaded bike even when stuck in deepest Africa with a completely inaccurate tire gauge, etc.

Purple bumping elbows with some of the "Who's Who" of females in the solo adventure travel world. This was a women's seminar dealing with some of the more specific issues faced by female overlanders including such topics as safety and security, hygeine, etc.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 10-28-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    r80rt likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

very cool lizrd.
    thank you for the write up on what must have been a very interesting and educational event.

does it happen every year?
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The Cambria event is annual but there is talk of moving it to Mariposa, California next year as it may have outgrown the Cambria facility. Others occur at various times throughout the year not only in the in the U.S. but worldwide.

One Ural owner's sentiments. I got his blessing to borrow them for our own plates. The mini-teardrop in the foreground was a nice piece of work:

The DRZ400 of Nicole Espinosa, RTW'r in training.
    ruggedrider.com

And Nicole her bad self:

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 10-29-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    r80rt likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Excellent write up and great pictures, THANKS!
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Purple and Bentley, the biker dawg. bentleysbigadventure.com

Bentley and his humans:

Jeffrey Polnaja. http://rideforpeace.net/category/gallery/photo/ .Incredible man. So affected by the images of 9/11 that he decided to hit the road. Quite a read. Click on a country. Enjoy. He passed us on our way home, headed for Mexico and the South American leg of his journey.

20 bucks, 6 Barry Manilow albums and a slice of the finest zucchini bread you've ever tasted to anyone who can correctly identify this fabulous and famous individual whom we also encountered on our way south. Yet another highlight of this trip:

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 10-29-2013 at 12:29 AM.
    r80rt likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

There were a handful of vendors there, including the folks from Giant Loop with the latest and greatest versions of their stuff. This was a great opportunity to just roll your bike up to their booth, fondle the merchandise and check the fit in person, on your own bike. Still a bit rich for my blood when buying times 2, but now that I've examined them I gotta get some.

Tightwad that I am I'd have never done it but it was Purple's birthday and a queen deserves a throne, so she bought us both a present. These are Helinox camp chairs. They weigh just a bit over a pound and a half and are about a foot long when broken down. A bit spendy, but so compact and light weight weight when stored they're a justifiable indulgence. Pretty danged comfy, too:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links