Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 2 Post By fasteer
  • 1 Post By lizrdbrth

Thread: Pros and Cons of AG Quirks

Question Pros and Cons of AG Quirks

Hello Dubophiles ;-)

I have to sit and wait for my sweet new Agatha (2013 Yamaha AG200E) due to Ol Man Mean Mongol Winter. So, I thought I'd start a thread to help me learn a bit about her before I finally get to ride er.
    The only other bike I ever owned was a Suzuki VL800, obviously, quite different from my new AG. One difference is the straight-forward 5 up tranny. I think that will be better than the 1st gear down riding I'm used to. I would like to hear from experienced riders who've opinions on both configs. Also, I don't really know how I feel about the clutch lock option. I don't really know enough to know if it'll be useful or just in the way. Most things I've read on the esteemed AG say to change the gearing to get more top-end speed, but ast this point, with my limited off-road experience, and the serious lack of smooth surfaces around Mongolia, I think I'll be just fine with a top speed of 55mph. I don't really want to get anywhere fast, I'd just like to get there eventually, and with an in-tact ass.

So, muchas gracias to any hombres who might like to help me learn while try to patiently wait out the awful, smoky Mongolian winter.

Cheers from UB,

MP

P.S. I hope I can get this video to work. It is part of my pre-purchase inspection

20131110_125208.jpg

clutch lock.jpg

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?p...41203133530949
    Last edited by Mongol Pete; 11-20-2013 at 06:39 PM.

I think you are really going to like that bike. I'd leave it alone and keep it as is for now and until you get used to it. You can always do mods later. It's such a unique bike kinda like our TWs but even more so.
    No way could I put it away and have to wait until spring to ride it though.
    Last edited by littletommy; 11-20-2013 at 06:41 PM.
    Mel likes this.

Thanks for the reply LT,

I'm sure I'll love it. If you were here, you'd understand that I really don't have a choice but to wait, at least for now. It is cold, dangerously cold if riding with ANYthing exposed. Also, there is no real traffic system in place here, so riding on icy roads with anything goes, unpredictable driving conditions is just not a smart choice. Believe me, I hated to put a brand new bike away, but I'd hate more to have to wait out the winter in a hospital bed with my new bike not so new anymore

So, for now, I wait. And learn.

MP

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

O I know you are doing the right thing by waiting, but what torture. A brand spanking new motorcycle and not able to ride it. I would have it parked at the foot of my bed so it was the first thing and last thing I saw each day, and dream of the day I could ride it. A brand new bike...how sweet is that? We're all here with ya, and can't wait for you to start letting us know how much you like it. It sure is pretty.
    Mongol Pete likes this.

Hey Pete !
    I worked three years in UB, you have my sincere sympathy suffering through the horrid winter air pollution.
    Hope you can get out of town once in a while.
    I would never ride in UB in the winter and would avoid it in the summer too.
    People who have never been there cannot imagine Mongol driving.
    But once out of town; man, I envy you the Mongolian summers & wide open spaces.
    Great choice of m/c, in my opinion.
    Have fun next summer.
    Mongol Pete and lizrdbrth like this.

One difference is the straight-forward 5 up tranny. I think that will be better than the 1st gear down riding I'm used to. I would like to hear from experienced riders who've opinions on both configs.
    I had a Kawasaki KE 100 years ago that had a 5 up shift pattern. Finding neutral was easier but if you were on a steep gnarly hill and tried to shift down again not realizing you were already in 1st, your foward progress came to a halt real quick!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Wanna swap bikes? I'll take that quirky thang off your hands.

Send me some of them fork boots so's I'll never wear out another fork seal.

Or buy another chain. Or .....aftermarket......anything.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 11-21-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    r80rt likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links