New (to me) Bike!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New (to me) Bike!

New (to me) Bike!

Just bought this RM125 for $100 from a good friend. Said that he had it running over a year ago, but that it was hard to start when warm. Also said it was anywhere from an 82-85 so I am not sure what year it is! But I am excited as I have never owned a complete 2 stroke bike before. I understand how the engine works but there seems to be a lot different than our four stroke TW200s! Looking forward to learning. Anyone have suggestions on where to start with this beast?

And for course Pics!!

rm125 1 smalelr.PNGrm125 2 smaller.PNG

-THE MENACE
    littletommy and tcepilot like this.

Nice looking little bike.
    Typical bachelor pad though, no pics on the wall, a kite, motorcycle in the living room, shotgun, tire...
    ha ha lol
    Bro, you need a girlfriend to spruce your place up..
    kinda like my place too...
    THE MENACE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Nice looking little bike.
    Typical bachelor pad though, no pics on the wall, a kite, motorcycle in the living room, shotgun, tire...
    ha ha lol
    Bro, you need a girlfriend to spruce your place up..
    kinda like my place too...
    Hahahahaha, but you gotta un-spruce it up when they leave!!! And no GF means more $$ for bikes!!!

I will know "she" is the "one" when she comes over, sees the bike and asks not that it be removed but instead asks for a ride!!

Thanks for the laugh,

-THE MENACE
    MTLHead likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I agree, more $ for anything. Them gals cost a lot of money! I like the fact that I can do anything, go anywhere anytime and get anything I want without having to hear about it.
    r80rt, THE MENACE and Mel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by THE MENACE View Post

I will know "she" is the "one" when she comes over, sees the bike and asks not that it be removed but instead asks for a ride!!

-THE MENACE
    Now THAT makes sense. Wish I'd have talked to you many many years ago!

About the only similarity between 2 and 4 stroke is that they both have pistons and spark plugs. There are animations of both online. Download some and watch them. When you get the idea, then start reading some stuff about them. Google knows all and more than you would wish to know. I rode only 2 strokes until I reached around 60. Now my only 2 stroke is a chainsaw.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

I hear ya both!

-THE MENACE
    littletommy likes this.

I'm no expert, but first thing is to get a factory service manual. Then the next things I would go after would be the carb/ fuel system. If you have spark and fuel it should go. Once it fires off you can go from there. check compression. Ive helped a few friends with top ends on two strokes and they seemed to get thrashed easily. In any event good luck I'm sure you're aware of what I've been up to and you know its all possible.

Side note. that tire doesn't go in the refrigerator.

Clean the carb first. If it has been sitting a while might need new engine seals as they tend to dry out if the bike has been sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagorilla1 View Post
    I'm no expert, but first thing is to get a factory service manual. Then the next things I would go after would be the carb/ fuel system. If you have spark and fuel it should go. Once it fires off you can go from there. check compression. Ive helped a few friends with top ends on two strokes and they seemed to get thrashed easily. In any event good luck I'm sure you're aware of what I've been up to and you know its all possible.

Side note. that tire doesn't go in the refrigerator.
    The tire did not fit in the fridge sadly. To many empty pizza boxes in there!

It has fairly new engine seals but I have spares. We will see what happens!

-THE MENACE

That looks like a lot of fun! Especially for that price! I would start with new plug and a new air filter right off the bat. If it does not run well then look into cleaning the carb. 2 strokes are super fun, light and flickable. I don't see myself going back to a four stroke for trail riding for a long time (The TW spends most of its time on the road). One thing I really like is the gyroscopic effect of a two stroke. Without valves, all your spinning engine mass is down low which makes for great handling. One tip I learned to ride a 2 stroke faster is riding it a gear higher. It really smooth's out your riding and makes you less jerky than being on the pipe the whole time. My ktm 200 is really luggable even and when you need power, you can give a quick clutch pull and you have instant power. Since a 2 stroke engine turns so fast, you can stay in a higher gear and use your clutch like a throttle without having to downshift, and give it more gas. Just be a little careful at first riding as even the 125s can have a nasty little powerband. Keep your weight forward if you whack the throttle and enjoy that sweet sound!!!

This video has a really great intro that goes over a 2 stroke engine, it's called the "Power of Sound". Sometimes I tell my wife to leave and I watch it alone it a dark room with a box of tissues...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links