A blast from the past.....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: A blast from the past.....

A blast from the past.....

Feeling a bit nostalgic here since I have the itch for a TW after spending some time on here... the pic below is of my very first bike, a 1973 Yamaha 80 enduro.... can't believe the story I'm about to share is 39 years ago.

It was the eve of my 15th birthday, I had been working 7 days a week cleaning pools (common in south Florida) after school and on the weekend with "Toby the pool man" to save for this bike I dreamed about owning for years.

It was 8:00 pm and the house seemed empty and quiet except for the TV in my parents bedroom I heard playing " Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade....yes it was the tv show, "All in the family playing"........ my two sisters, mom and dad were sitting on the bed watching the TV as I ran in and belly flopped on the bed, my mother sneezed and asked me to get her a tissue, I went into her bathroom flipped on the light and there sat the Yamaha 80, they said there was dead silence and asked if I was ok..... only you guys here reading this can imagine the joy I felt! Needless to say that was one of the greatest memories.

I was up at 2:00am in the garage with turtle wax waxing that already shiny yellow tank, oh the smell of that gas and oil mmm, I just couldn't wait till morning to take it out.....my Yamaha 80.jpg
    Mel, OldMan, TuggerHiller and 11 others like this.
    Get something exciting between your legs.......a Suzuki!Hidden Content

What a great surprise, and the way it was setup. Neat!

I no longer turtle wax the TW. Hurts my back to bend over, plus I go to bed at 8:30 now. No way I could be up at 2:00 a.m. anymore

I wanted those in the worst way. Wasn't aware my parents were poor at the time. Ended up with a ridged frame mini bike with a 5hp Montgomery Ward motor. I was still happy with that...until it got stolen...and then got it back.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Mel
    Admiral, It seems to me that when we were kids, anything that had a motor on it was "good to go". I remember getting stopped by a Highway Patrolman when I was 12 riding a Cushman scooter on a state highway. I got chewed out, and sent home. Was still a great ride.
    Mel
    r80rt, admiral, Dubzha and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That is a great story! Thanks for sharing
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

Great story! I'm sure you woke up early the next morning too.
    -Bill

Kawi ZRX1200
    Yamaha TW Two Hundirt

great story!
    Funny thing is that even at 30 I still stay up late with a new bike!

Cool story and yellow bike! My first brand new motorcycle was a '73 too, I was 16 and worked my tail off all summer for a red SL175 Honda.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Great first bike story. Here's mine.
    I was around 13 and it was close to Christmas. My Dad asked me what I would like for Christmas that year. A fellow in the neighbourhood had a sixty something Honda 90 for sale for $60 dollars(a lot of money for my Dad back then). I knew it was a long shot but asked for the bike anyway. I remember him telling me not to get my hopes up as money was tight. Well Christmas morning there it was out in the back yard covered in a good 8'' of freshly fallen snow. I remember riding it all over the yard through the snow. It wasn't new and it wasn't a trail bike but it worked great and it was suprising where it took me off road.
    That old Honda 90 and my Dad taught me how to turn a wrench and started a passion for riding and working on motorcycles that just seems to increase as I age.
    admiral, billmags, Dubzha and 3 others like this.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster View Post
    Great first bike story. Here's mine.
    I was around 13 and it was close to Christmas. My Dad asked me what I would like for Christmas that year. A fellow in the neighbourhood had a sixty something Honda 90 for sale for $60 dollars(a lot of money for my Dad back then). I knew it was a long shot but asked for the bike anyway. I remember him telling me not to get my hopes up as money was tight. Well Christmas morning there it was out in the back yard covered in a good 8'' of freshly fallen snow. I remember riding it all over the yard through the snow. It wasn't new and it wasn't a trail bike but it worked great and it was suprising where it took me off road.
    That old Honda 90 and my Dad taught me how to turn a wrench and started a passion for riding and working on motorcycles that just seems to increase as I age.

Thanks for that one Dubster, love your story, that choked me all up.......
    Dubster likes this.
    Get something exciting between your legs.......a Suzuki!Hidden Content

Well I was 15 and lived in the country.... One day my dad called me out side to see something new, well for him that means a new car... "NOT" this time.. It was a brand new 1966 100cc twin jet yamaha motorcycle. All mine. (o; I was limited to riding between a lake half a mile away and home that was it.. That summer I ended up putting 3,000 miles on that great little bike...... OMM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links