Inch- pound bending beam torque wrench.
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By r80rt
  • 1 Post By frog13

Thread: Inch- pound bending beam torque wrench.

Inch- pound bending beam torque wrench.

Been looking for an affordable inch- pound torque wrench. Any suggestions. I'd like to keep the $$$ down to around $100.00....if thats even possible?. There are a few made in the U.S. ,but some of them only go to 60 inch pounds = 5 ft. lb.. TIA

Check E bay, I've seen a few good deals on there.
    rurlndum likes this.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Frog,

Last year I finally decided to get a smaller torque wrench. I needed something to supplement my 1/2 drive torque wrench that I have had for 25 years that handles the higher torques.

After a lot of research I found one that met my needs for the lower-mid range of torques. I have used it for the last year and it has worked well. However, it is a clicker type. If you ever want to consider a clicker type, here is the info:

It is a 3/8" drive with a 30 - 250 inch-pound range. It is made by CDI which is a Snap-on company. It comes with a certificate of calibration and a protective case. The model number is 2502MRMH-QR.
    It is slightly over $100. Here is a link: CDI 2502MRMH Micrometer Adj Torque Wrench Dual Scale - 2502MRMH

My only complaint is that the numbers could be easier to read. For young eyes it would not be a problem, however in low light I have to squint a bit to read the numbers. This is by no means a deal-breaker - just something to be aware of.

I have nothing against bending beam type torque wrenches. If I could have found one with a decent range and decent accuracy I would have gotten one.

Good luck in your search.

Old White Truck

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Harbor freight has one for 21.99 on sale. Seemed like decent quality and it has lifetime warranty

Good info to start with folks,thanks!.
    r80rt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 29andSingle View Post
    Harbor freight has one for 21.99 on sale. Seemed like decent quality and it has lifetime warranty
    Car Craft magazine did some testing recently that compared Snap-on, Craftsman, and Harbor Freight clicker torque wrenches and found (to my surprise) that HF rated best in accuracy and repeatability.

Before I retired I worked in an R&D engineering lab and everything had to be calibrated regularly. I have a couple of HF torque wrenches that I bought to use as huge ratchets only, not trusting their accuracy. Just for the heck of it I took them into work and compared mine to the calibrated Snap-on wrenches we used in the lab. We had a bench set up with meters to test the wrenches calibration and my neglected HF wrenches that had never been calibrated were very close to the lab wrenches. I know that isn't an official test but I'm just telling what my experience was. These were all clickers.

WOW,good info,I guess Chi-Com. made stuff is starting to come around. Of course,this all depends on who's spec / standard the tools are being too?.

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Of course,this all depends on who's spec / standard the tools are being too?.
    Yeah but I wouldn't expect HF's specs & standards to be very demanding. Some things just defy logic.....

Sponosred Links