one of roadkill's project tl250's
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: one of roadkill's project tl250's

one of roadkill's project tl250's

20131020_163340.JPG This is my 75 tl 250 that I have been working on. I changed over the handlebars to one off a 75 cb 350 to get a narrower and higher bar so I can stand up and be more comfortable. I added a seat of a honda sl 100 cause the stock tl seat is a dismal thing. The headlights are 1200 lumen bicycle lights. The front fender is of the honda 100 also. I have been riding tl's for years and these thing are like tractors off road, they will climb some narley stuff. I got this one from my dad, been in the family since new. We used to have a cabin a diamond lake and I grew up riding the trails there. I have another tl 250 and a 125 that I am restoring, those will be a lot nicer looking than this one, I wanted to keep this one original and just ride it worry free, any other tl owners out there?
    Last edited by 66roadkill66; 01-14-2014 at 09:19 AM.
    r80rt likes this.
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

Fun bike, nice story. A neighbor of mine had a 350 scrambler. When I look for those on the web, they have low fenders, and don't look like his bike. This would have been in the very late '60s or early '70s. It looks a lot like your picture, but it was street legal. Any idea what model it was?
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

I have a friend that rode trials and ranked in top 5 Expert from 1975-1980 in M.O.T.A.(Michigan Ontario Trials Assn.). He rode a Montessa in competition but had a couple of other bikes that he let his friends ride with him while practicing. I know one was a Bultaco that I rode and I'm pretty sure one was a TL. It was hard to believe the things those guys did in competition.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sure, rub it in even more.. HAhaha, love the tl250's. Buddy bought a tl125 when I was growing up and I fell in love with it. 3-4 years later and he sold it to his brother and bought a TL250. THEN I understood what puppy love meant! The TL250 was the real deal, gobs of torque from the lightweight package, go anywhere nimbleness, absolute fun to ride. Good on you for keeping them alive. It rubs me raw to see guys parting out perfectly good TL's.
    66roadkill66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubzha View Post
    Fun bike, nice story. A neighbor of mine had a 350 scrambler. When I look for those on the web, they have low fenders, and don't look like his bike. This would have been in the very late '60s or early '70s. It looks a lot like your picture, but it was street legal. Any idea what model it was?
    Check SL350 maybe?

Honda built 5 350s back in the '60s and early '70s: CB350 twin, low chrome exhaust one on each side; CL350 twin high exhaust both on the same side often called a scrambler; SL350 twin, low black exhaust one on each side; XL350 single, low black exhaust one side; and the CB35- Four, 4 cylinder, 4 chrome low pipes. Later model XL350s had a high pipe. The CL350 Scrambler was the same as the CB350 twin except different exhaust, foot peg bracket, and front tire. It wasn't much of a dirt bike.

EDIT: I have a TL or three floating around the shop. One is in pieces, one for parts, one showroom fresh. Good bikes, but like everything else, totally outclassed by modern trials machines.

Last edited by qwerty; 01-15-2014 at 09:48 PM.
    Dubzha likes this.

I have always liked older bikes because I think a lot of the newer bikes don't have a soul if you will, or the character of the older bikes to me, I think that's why I like the tw so much, it may be a newer bike but has character..now some will disagree with me and that's ok it's just my take on it. I know the newer trials bikes will kick the old tls butt...but I still like it way better. It's probably because I grew up riding them. I have rode my dad's 07 wr 250 and hate it, I have rode lots and lots of newer bikes and as you can see the 87 tw is my newest...the 97ke I gave to my wife. Give me points and a carb and old clunky suspension and I am a happy guy, the tw is almost to new for me with it's new fangeld cdi but I will overlook that cause it is kind of clunky. I am going to do my best to keep my old bikes alive as long a possible cause I don't want any newer bikes. I almost have to many projects but oh well.
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

Quote Originally Posted by 66roadkill66 View Post
    I have always liked older bikes because I think a lot of the newer bikes don't have a soul if you will, or the character of the older bikes to me, I think that's why I like the tw so much, it may be a newer bike but has character..now some will disagree with me and that's ok it's just my take on it. I know the newer trials bikes will kick the old tls butt...but I still like it way better. It's probably because I grew up riding them. I have rode my dad's 07 wr 250 and hate it, I have rode lots and lots of newer bikes and as you can see the 87 tw is my newest...the 97ke I gave to my wife. Give me points and a carb and old clunky suspension and I am a happy guy, the tw is almost to new for me with it's new fangeld cdi but I will overlook that cause it is kind of clunky. I am going to do my best to keep my old bikes alive as long a possible cause I don't want any newer bikes. I almost have to many projects but oh well.
    Agreed. Older bikes have so much more character than newer. I just sold my 2002 Triumph Tiger a few months ago because it was just to comfortable. These TW's have some style to them. They seem one off from the rest of the herd of bikes out there. That's why I like them. Anyway, nice looking TL250. I had a 73 TL125 I messed around with. I picked it up for $50 in a box and restored it to beat around on in the desert.

IMAG0676.jpg
    66roadkill66 likes this.
    2015 Yamaha Bolt
    Coming Soon...TW200

I agree with the older bikes having something most new bikes don't. I prefer updated older bikes to anything new. The exception will be the Ultra Classic Electra Glide I'll buy when I when the lottery. I love a TL for those times I want to challenge myself with high difficulty low-speed riding practice.

Never owned a TL250, but have had a couple TLR200 Reflex machines pass through the collection. Pure tractory goodness.
    BMW G650 XChallenge, Triumph Scrambler, BMW R60/6, SV650 Track machine, 88 TW200, RD350, KTM 640ADV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links