• 1 Post By Purple People Eater
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By wildcat
  • 1 Post By qwerty
  • 1 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By Fred

Thread: Highway 9 and Kamikazes

Highway 9 and Kamikazes

Last Saturday, 1-18-14, Big D and I rode over Hwy 9 to the Big Basin turn off and made a u-turn and came back. The speed limit is 30 in Santa Clara County and 45 in Santa Cruz County. We were always 5 to 10 mph over the limit and got passed up many times. That is Big D in front on his XS 650 and me on my TW chasing.

Here are two of those passes.

Last edited by elime; 01-19-2014 at 07:20 AM.
    r80rt, Dubzha, Fred and 2 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Senior Member Purple People Eater's Avatar
    It looks like a beautiful ride. I remember one time when Lizrdbrth and I were riding in our normal formation..we had a couple of motorcycles zig-zag in between us. Those crotch rocket are crazy!!
    Fred likes this.
    "One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

you could see that second yokel come up fast in your mirror, and then looked even faster as he past you. i guess next weekend at brian's we'll gang up on them.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Squids!

Know the road well from many years in the area, rarely at legal speeds. Between Skyline and beaches, redwoods, and SanFreancisco Bay are many super tight twisty roads perfect for TW's moderate power and speed yet too tight for many suoerbikes. They like Skyline (hwy35?) at suicidal
    speeds then a beer at Alice's Restaurant (Skyline and Woodside Road). TW's would have a blast on more remote un- patrolled, lightly traveled routes like Los Trancos, Page Mill, Alpine, Woodside, Gazos Creek, etc on norte penninsula and endless back roads to sóuth in Santa Cruz mtns. As a college student at Santa Cruz in my hippy daze I spent many an evening sliding through the twisties in my modified but terribly underpowered Opel. I never saw police but saw surprising number of un-plated cars and bikes playing around in the wee early morning hours around Big Basin Park, Ben lomond, Boulder Creek, etc. I would recogmend back road touring now for TW riders and leave high speed hwy9 and 35 for the DoanerCycles and crtotch rockets. This is where Stanford Hospital collects alot of doaner organs.
    rmcglad55 and elime like this.

Nice video! An XS650 and VW Beetle together. It don't get no better!
    Rusty

2005 TW200

2005 Triumph Bonneville T100

down here we call croch rocket drivers like that organ donors.
    Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    down here we call croch rocket drivers like that organ donors.
    Yup, and we call the t-shirted cruiser riders Future Hamburgers of America.

Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Know the road well from many years in the area, rarely at legal speeds. Between Skyline and beaches, redwoods, and SanFreancisco Bay are many super tight twisty roads perfect for TW's moderate power and speed yet too tight for many suoerbikes. They like Skyline (hwy35?) at suicidal
    speeds then a beer at Alice's Restaurant (Skyline and Woodside Road). TW's would have a blast on more remote un- patrolled, lightly traveled routes like Los Trancos, Page Mill, Alpine, Woodside, Gazos Creek, etc on norte penninsula and endless back roads to sóuth in Santa Cruz mtns. As a college student at Santa Cruz in my hippy daze I spent many an evening sliding through the twisties in my modified but terribly underpowered Opel. I never saw police but saw surprising number of un-plated cars and bikes playing around in the wee early morning hours around Big Basin Park, Ben lomond, Boulder Creek, etc. I would recogmend back road touring now for TW riders and leave high speed hwy9 and 35 for the DoanerCycles and crtotch rockets. This is where Stanford Hospital collects alot of doaner organs.
    I know all the roads you mentioned and have for many many years. All the dirt riding areas have been made into hiking and pedal bike and horse trails.

I think crotch rocket is a more popular name around here too but when I say "kamikaze" everybody knows who I am talking about. Hwy 9 on the Saratoga side has had the speed limit incrementally lowered to 30 mph and even the CHP doesn't bother to enforce that. On the SCruz side of Skyline it is still 45 mph but I think you have to be going 55 or 60 before anyone bothers to stop you.

I remember there used to be a "C" club from Hwy 9 to Alice's along Skyline, and there still may be one, I don't know. You had to average 100 mph over that distance to be a member. I have been passed up many times by members of that club and it really is just a blur. I don't go up there on weekends anymore so I don't know what is happening but there used to be huge crowds every weekend at both the Hwy 9 /Skyline parking lot and at Alice's / Skylonda parking lot.

Alpine Rd. from Portola Valley to Page Mill Rd. used to be my favorite. My friend had a Jeep pick up and we would pray for rain and try to go up it. I don't think grease would have been any slipperier than that adobe after a good rain. It was like driving on snot. That road is now closed to motorized traffic. A lot of good memories there.

Gazos Creek Rd. was paved up to the Butano Park turn off about 20 years ago and the rest was closed to the public. Something about rave parties and property destruction.

Fun hearing from another old time local. Tony
    Fred likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Too bad r.e. Gazos creek, last place I knew to get tires muddy and escape crowds on Penninsula. I fled area when I could although I think I could still have alot of fun black-top TWing tightest twisties available . There sure are alot of them! With a corner every hundred feet or so they are way too tight for high powered machinery to get up to speed but probably a gas for you Tony . Full moon tonight brings back memories of racing to beach , but beaches probably off limits after dark now.
    As a kid on a ten speed I got clipped by speeding biker while on Page Mill Road, flipped me over bars and intruduced me to the "flying W". No helmets back then but minimal damage, just a bit of gravel pushed under skin. The kind of damage we would hide from our moms so we could have a cool scabs to pick.
    elime likes this.

Sponosred Links