rant about being reasonable with purchasing things
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: rant about being reasonable with purchasing things

rant about being reasonable with purchasing things

Having some frustration with folks recently while trying to sell things. I just don't understand where people are coming from sometimes. No need to go crazy, just my opinions. So here goes.

Say I have an item for sale. Lets call it item A. And it is priced at price X. So it goes up for sale at a classifieds site and says price is firm. Time goes by and many replies come in with low ball offers. No reason, no explanation, nothing as to why item A is worth less than price X. I am reasonable I am willing to hear suggestions or constructive criticism. I also take time to research and price things reasonably and don't sell crap. I don't understand where people get off with this kind of attitude. However even more frustrating is when people low ball price X and want item A as well as item B and C. Now come on folks what the hell is that all about.

I have also had people low ball me in an add that says "buyer responsible for shipping and paypal fees". I expect the low ball, but people really expect to offer 75% and have the shipping and paypal fees thrown in too just because?

I'm an honest hard working guy just trying to get along. I don't cheat, steal, or lie because that is not how you treat people. You have the right to be upset when warranted, but you need to be respectful and honest. I'm not saying that these folks are trying to cheat or steal from me, but I do feel it is disrespectful to act like this just because you feel like you are "entitled". If you want to haggle with someone do it respectfully and be reasonable. Peoples hard earned dollars and Items are worth something so treat them as such.

End rant.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

I think we have similar buying and selling habits. Haggling is for horsetraders and bitches, neither of which have I any use for. When buying, if an item is priced, I either pay that price or tell the seller why I'm walking away. No haggling. Seller can take it upon himself or herself to offer a better price, and I will consider one offer. After all, we both know what is a fair price. Don't insult me by piling on the bull crap. I often walk in, tell the seller I don't haggle, and give me a price. I'll either take it or leave it, and the seller only gets one chance. When selling, I always price fairly, maybe a little low. Try to haggle and you won't be taking it home. No exceptions. We both know what an item is worth.

r80rt, Mel, Dubzha and 6 others like this.

I agree with the both of you. But the truth is, if someone sends out 100 lowball offers and makes buys on one or a few, then they can sell at a profit. That's probably not gonna stop so ya just gotta ignore them and shrug it off. If ya can, it'll save the frustration.

my 1.5 cents
    williamemack likes this.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and/or what someone is willing to let it go for. supply and demand.
    admiral, williamemack and naluboy like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Mel
    I won't badger people about price but often asked what their minimum price would be. It is then my option to pay r walk off.
    Mel
    Tom Bettiker likes this.

The flip side to low ballers is there are sellers that over price what they are selling looking for a sucker. Example: $30 float bowl gasket on ebay.

As joeband says it is supply and demand. Haggle if you want to, don't haggle if you don't want to. Pay the price if you think it is worth it, don't buy it if not. There is no right or wrong. You can't blame people looking for a great deal or for trying to maximize their profit on what they are selling. It is all part of the game.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

funny thing this came up. I just did a set of racks with some modifications as per the buyer's specs. Put them in the mail, and told him the total with the shipping.

Now he wants to haggle!?

Come on man!

so now, he gets the package, tells me how good they look, and ups his payment. But still not to the original $ amount we came up with at the start.

I feel I make a good product, at a reasonable price. My profit margins are small once you factor in the time to make them, cost to power/heat the 'shop', and source the materials.

perhaps I should raise my prices to all? Or at least get payment up front?

I don't mean to throw anyone under the bus here, but just needed to get this off my chest.
    and that's my .02
    Last edited by tinman tim; 01-22-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    williamemack, GaryL and Fred like this.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

So I understand supply in demand. Also understand people trying to stretch out their hard earned dollars. I even understand that people seem to like to haggle or at least expect it to be normal. All I'm saying here is to be respectful and reasonable about it. I have people repeatedly offer me 50% of my asking price with "firm price" listed right in the add. As for sellers that think they should sell something for double just because they are just as guilty. Get a clue folks.

If you were gonna sell your TW thats worth lets say 1800 bucks. Good shape all around and a handful of accessories. Then Rufus comes along and says "I'll give you 400 bucks for it". Where does this guy come up with this thinking. Or better yet "I'll give you 400 bucks for it and I want all your riding gear in the background including pants, jacket, helmet, and gloves."
    225 6 speed complete!
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

The only advice I can give is don't take it personal. Just say "no deal" and move on.

Or if you feel like haggling, counter with "$2400 and its ALL yours!" You can add "that is a hell of a deal and I shouldn't do it but I like you. You seem like a smart person, nobody's fool. I can tell you are a person with class and good taste. Yep, just for you -- everything for $2400!" Have fun with it.
    Last edited by elime; 01-22-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

sometimes that is exactly the answer people get back. I will admit that it wears on me at times hence this rant. When the unreasonable s roll in at at least 20 to 1 if not more. I wonder what the problem is.
    225 6 speed complete!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links