Why are you a baseball fan?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why are you a baseball fan?

Why are you a baseball fan?

So with football season over, and with my year round obsession with baseball, I decided to again try and recruit a good friend of mine to become a baseball fan yesterday and he responded saying he likes going to games, but not watching them on tv or following over it 163 games. He reiterated that it was cool when he was a kid, but going to the stadium for dogs and beer was his main motivation now as an adult. Not to pay attention to each pitch.

Anyway, I'm the guy who hangs on each pitch and the stradegy! I don't want to compare it to other sports, because of each sport's unique qualities. But it got me thinking... what are some of the reasons why folks are fans of "the game that's too slow and boring". Because I've heard that so much, along with its full of cheaters, teams "buy" championships, and "it's too long of a season so I only watch the playoffs".

I love baseball, I can't wait for spring training and I can't wait to see some of ya'lls responses. Thanks everyone.
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

Giants and A's fan here. We have the Sacramento Rivercats (A's AAA team) across the river and have had season tickets since they opened in 2000. Easy half hour drive on the scenic river road to get to Raley field. Me and my brother really enjoy the small personal stadium and a lot cheaper to get seats right behind home plate. We still go to the Giants and A's but only a few times a year because driving to bay area not so fun.....
    MCC1776 likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I think it's easier to enjoy the game like you said in your post that you "hang on each pitch". If you know baseball and all the strategies, it becomes more interesting to watch. Knowing things like pitch counts, what pitches runners take off on, infield and outfield shifts makes it more exciting than watching a pitcher and cather play catch for 3hrs. Also, growing up and living in New England makes it easy too because it's been a hell of a run in the last 10-12 years for Boston fans in all sports!

I may be kind of biased but Jerry Remy's book "Watching Baseball: Discovering the Game Within the Game" is a good read and helps people understand all the little idiosyncracies in a normal game.

Watching Baseball: Discovering the Game within the Game: Jerry Remy: 9780762730759: Amazon.com: Books
    MCC1776 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

because it takes me back to being 7 years old with my grandfather at my first game at The 'Stick, or a game with my dad where he told me to bring a jacket, even if it was a nice 80˚ at our house 45 miles away. froze my ass off, and learned a lesson about san fransisco weather. or any of dozens of other memories that wrap around a peanuts and cracker jack with friends, family and 44,000 other fans.

SF-Giants-Logo.jpg
    GO GIANTS!
    MCC1776 likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I played 1 year in a short season minor league ball club in Tacoma, Washington...when I wasn't so fat. I love the sport. My dreams came true when the Minnesota Twins won the World Series in 1987. Then they did it again 1991. I promised never to pray to God for those things again. I'm content now.
    MCC1776 and rurlndum like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I played 1 year in a short season minor league ball club in Tacoma, Washington...when I wasn't so fat. I love the sport. My dreams came true when the Minnesota Twins won the World Series in 1987. Then they did it again 1991. I promised never to pray to God for those things again. I'm content now.
    My dream came true in 1987 too!
    null_zps16369256.jpg
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

Hidden Content

Great responses so far. I might be buying that book. I feel as though I'm pretty knowledgable about the game so far (gameplay and strategy wise), but now when I learn something new it's like find a twenty laying on the ground. My original theory for why my friend thinks the way he does about baseball was that he compares it to football and basketball and just never gave it an honest chance. But now I'm leaning more towards the personality traits of people. Microwave minute folks will gravitate towards the faster sports. Those of us who prefer quality over quantity and it's the journey not the destination probably gravitate to baseball. Based on my last statement I would guess there would be a lot of dubbers who are big baseball fans.
    joeband likes this.
    1987 TW200

Hidden Content

I am a fan because my whole family enjoys the game. My boys and I both played and all were pretty succesfull. I have coached at many levels from farm league to high school varsity. The best part about it all is my wife is the biggest fan of all of us. She has kept the book at hundreds of games, and knows the game inside out. When my youngest son was born, his first stop on the way home from the hospital was the Little League field to see his big Brother play, Dad coach and Mom keep score. My Grandson starts Little League this year. Play Ball !!!

After 18 years of coaching, T-ball through Babe Ruth, I was so disgusted with league officials and parents I've had nothing to do with baseball for 14 years. Loved the game growing up, played 3rd and always had one of the highest batting averages and on-base percentages in the league. Pretty good glove and able to hit the bag at first pretty consistently with a fastball. Got a lot of outs on foul balls from runners leading off. Not a home run hitter, but really good at dropping one in a gap for a double and an RBI or two. Grownups ruined the game for me.

rurlndum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    After 18 years of coaching, T-ball through Babe Ruth, I was so disgusted with league officials and parents I've had nothing to do with baseball for 14 years. Loved the game growing up, played 3rd and always had one of the highest batting averages and on-base percentages in the league. Pretty good glove and able to hit the bag at first pretty consistently with a fastball. Got a lot of outs on foul balls from runners leading off. Not a home run hitter, but really good at dropping one in a gap for a double and an RBI or two. Grownups ruined the game for me.
    It's never too late qwerty. I'm a former player turned coach. I understand. Trust me. I asked my best friend if he'd come be my assistant one year for spring ball. I felt his knowledge behind the plate and with a bat was indispensable. He agreed to come give it a try when he hardly had the spare time to do it. He eventually became so close to those boys that I couldn't get rid of him even if I tried or wanted to. One practice, during a base running drill, his back acts up on him and he airmailed one straight into the leg of one of our players. Yeah, it looked like it hurt, but it was an honest mistake. Still, it didn't stop the kids dad from trying to beat my best friend down on a field full of kids. Had I not stepped in between and bear hugged the dad he'd had a free go at a guy with a thrown out back. My friend is a vet too, and most of us ground pounders suffer from bad low backs from the bouncing around in the back of a MRAP with all our kit on.

We left coaching after that season. The boys moved on to select ball and we weren't interested in starting all over again in Tball. Now I'm just a fan in the stands at my sons games. And I appreciate the game much more from that side of the chalk. I wish you'd consider giving it another shot qwerty. Baseball needs you.
    rurlndum likes this.
    1987 TW200

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links