Out of a job... but not for long.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Out of a job... but not for long.

Out of a job... but not for long.

Well, last Friday I was laid off. After 6 1/2 years of building sales in a new division (and being very successful at it - over 20% per year average growth) the owners of my company decided that they needed to take the money they've been investing in the food service business and put it towards the retail side. This involved letting me go (I headed up the division as the National Manager) and hiring a retail Marketing Brands Manager. While I think this sucks, I do understand their reasoning - the retail division has been soft and is much larger than my new one and investing in it will result in more $$ gained in the short run. Oh well. Not the first time - I've had companies sell, tank and merge resulting in lay-offs several times over my career.

But don't feel bad for me. I have found several new opportunities already - in one week. I have decided to pursue a career in insurance/investments. A local company (national insurance/investment company) is in dire need of agents. After an initial interview with the Branch Manager and taking a survey (which apparently I passed), I'm going back in tomorrow to do the paperwork and get started. This is rather involved. I'll have to study and get my Life/Accident/Health license license first. After this, I do some initial sales work and then do more training and more study to work on the securities, etc. licenses. Apparently, they have a lot of areas uncovered and many opportunities unaddressed. This is going to be totally different that what I've done for the past 30 years but I think I'll be good at it. The money will be much better too - after the first year and assuming I do my part with the studies and licensing and work hard. I worked my tail off on the last job so nothing new!

My uncle had an insurance agency and when he got older, he kept it but didn't seem to do much with it - now I know why. Much of your compensation after the first years is in the form of residuals - you get paid for the premiums being paid. My uncle was just maintaining his customer base and making money on those residuals.

I really don't see why there's such a problem with unemployment! At least not for people with a degree and some gumption. Even without a degree, if you're willing to study and apply yourself, there are literally hundreds of jobs available in my area - and this is Mississippi! Everything from food service worker to sales reps to managers of all kinds. All kinds of tech jobs! If you have some kind of tech skill, you have a lot of good options!

My son just graduated from Texas A&M with a business degree and has two good job opportunities already - within a month of graduating. He's willing to work hard and take a entry level jobs but they pay good! Yes, it's in Texas but still...

Funny how you watch the news and it's nothing but death dying and despair. I know that the economy is in bad shape but things still aren't that bad it seems. I just hope that the whole thing holds together with the national debt, bond bubble, etc. but for now, it does seem that it's still not that bad.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Best of luck to you OSOK...hope everything works out for you. I like your attitude and determination
    williamemack likes this.

Thank you! I've been through a lot of changes and Lord knows that if I didn't have a positive attitude, I'd of never made it this far

It really does make a huge difference.
    God is great and beer is good and people are crazy.

OCS, MP
    125th Company MSSG

2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2013 Tdub
    2011 Kubota L3200 4x4 with a bucket Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by naluboy View Post
    Best of luck to you OSOK...hope everything works out for you. I like your attitude and determination
    +1! Good luck on your new gig!

Retired at the age of 53 back in 2002....after years in Broadcasting and Environmental Health work....did some odd jobs after retiring from the Health Department...then added basketball and football to my 42{now} years of college and High School Baseball umpire work....as long as you do something you enjoy, you will survive and never be bored:

umpire aging lion 2b.jpg

Umpire Friday in May 2.jpg
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 02-09-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    littletommy, frog13 and MCC1776 like this.

Good mental discipline you have!...keep your chin up!.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Plenty of work out there. No reason at all to not work. Our country is fubared on that.

Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OSOK View Post
    Funny how you watch the news and it's nothing but death dying and despair.....
    That's why I never watch or listen to the news anymore....amazing how much happier I am now!

Hey, you're a Phi Kap! You can do anything you set your mind to.....
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

When you pay people not to work, they sit around not working!

I admire you attitude. Good luck. Tony
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Good for you OSOK and best of luck on your new adventure.

JOB! I don't want no dam job. I also don't want any hand outs other than those I planned for in my career. My job now is to play with my toys and TWs and keep things running on the home front while my younger wife finishes her working life. I watch the news all the time and laugh my ass off at all the lies and deceit being shoved down our throats. There are plenty of jobs for those who are willing to work! Being a victim is politically correct in these times if you listen to the main stream media and our politicians. We seem to have forgotten that our government has no money that it didn't first take from those of us who work and produce. They can take, DEMAND, more taxes but in the end it will never be enough. I implore those who work to become informed voters and make your vote count so we can get rid of the status quo we continually send to Washington and our capitols through out this country. 535 men and woman make all the decisions that affect all of our lives and we are very guilty for sending some real fools to do our bidding.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links